Suggested Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I would like to get a more accurate count of calories burned. Currently I use an online calorie burn calculator. Anybody out there have a HRM that they love? This will be my first HRM so I am looking for one that does not require a chest belt so I can wear it pretty much all day. I have to admit I'm pretty uneducated about it all, so if you have another suggestion besides a HRM feel free to post. All help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have one that is just worn on the wrist but I read somewhere that they can be inaccurate. I'm interested in one that has a chest band but my mom told me that one she bought barely fits around my stepdad's chest (he is a lot smaller than I am). Not sure what to look for...
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If you don't get one with a chest strap, you might as well use the online database as it will be just as inaccurate and you'll have some money. :happy:

Also, most HRM aren't very accurate if you aren't actually exercising.

If you want something to wear all the time, then something like the GoWearFit is a better option. They can be expensive but you can also find some killer deals on them and they will monitor your calories all day including while you sleep if you are willing to wear it 23/7!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    The ones you wear just on your wrist is not accurate. You typically have to press a button when you want your heart rate to be checked instead of a continue feed of your heart rate. One with a chest strap is far more accurate, and you can still wear it all day long under your clothes if you want to.

What to buy usually depends on where you workout and what functionality you want it to have. If you work out a gym, you need one that is coded so the signals don't mixed up with the other equipment at the gym.

Things you might want to look for are lap timer, backlighting, water resistance, and if you want it to have a GPS/Footpod. Also so have batteries you can change yourself and others have to be sent away to the company if you need to change them. Also think about if you want it to be a training computer that helps figure out how many workouts you should do and at what intensity.

The two most popular brands on here are Garmin and Polar. The Polar most basic HRM is the F4. It has a chest strap, but is not coded, no lap timer, and no backlighting. The next step up is an F6, which comes highly recommended on MFP. I personally have a Polar FT60 which has the full fitness computer, machine washable chest strap, GPS, water resistant for pool use and has backlighting.

I hope this helps you to point in the right direction. I would recommended searching archived posts on here. There are a lot of discussions around HRM.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Found this post in another thread by Azdak. I'm going to have to read through it a few more times to make sure I got it all. It's a lot of info!
    It seems like there has been a surge of questions about HRMs lately. I thought I would put together a more in-depth article for anyone who is interested.

In order to make it more visibly available, I wrote it on my blog page rather than as a forum post.
    Feel free to come back here with additional comments or questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

There is also a companion article on my blog about HRMs and strength training.
  • kkochend
    kkochend Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you kindly!
  • Kassi22
    Kassi22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    kkochend,

Why would you bother wearing a HRM all day? Your body is always burning calories. The ones that matter are the ones you are burning on top of your regular day to day stuff (working out, walking, etc) For this you will need the strap for proper results.

I use this and find it fantastic.

http://www.timex.ca/IRONMAN-RACE-TRAINER-Digital-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Fullsize-SK5K216-P462.aspx?l=e

I find it makes you work a little harder, walk a little further... as you can see how you are doing. The strap at first was awkward, but after a few days I got used to it and you don't notice it. (Also, if your close is loose enough (as in, not skin tight) then you can hide this easily under them even if you wanted to)

I have a few friends that use these as well (different versions of the Timex) and all find them pretty accurate.

Cheers.
    K