What motivates you? I am lacking this :-(

Options
Hello! I have been on here for a few months and have maintained an 8lb loss. But it seems my problem for not losing more is my lack of motivation. I lost a lot of weight a few years ago but I was 19 and lived at home with no responsibilities. I now have a full time job, house and great relationship. He is supportive and even got me a treadmill. I have Tad Bo DVDs and a wiring TV to do zumba and I cannot seem to get motivated! My eating is seeming to be an issue and I need help!!!!!

What gets you moving? I know there are plenty of people with way busier lives and even with kids who are motivated.....so what is the key? I am feeling lost!

Feel free to message/add me :-)

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me, it's just a desire. I want it, so I do what I need to do to achieve my goals.
  • 165ordietrying
    165ordietrying Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. Make sure that you have concrete reasons for doing this that you can turn to when you don't necessarily feel like doing it. Beyond that, you just have to do it. Set up routines that you may have to force yourself to do until they become habit. You can do it.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Commitment is more important than motivation. Tell yourself what you WILL do.
  • AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The big question is WHY do you want to lose weight. It doesn't matter what that reason is, as long as you know what it is, and keep that reason foremost in your mind.

That won't stop you losing short term motivation, but for teh most part, it'll help you stay focused and get to where you want to be.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think that being part of a community here is a very important motivator. I have met incredibly committed friends here. the success stories part of the board has always been encouraging for me because they keep saying: if I did it, you can do it too. It is happening to me as well.
    Partial NSVs like the jeans that now fit, your exercise achievements.
    I would say, exercise really shows how motivated you are.. If you have fun in your cardio you will do fine.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    1. "Motivation is what gets you started. Habits is what keeps you going." Jim Ryum

2. "Men's natures are alike; it is their habits that separate them." Confucius
  • teneh
    teneh Posts: 39
    Options
    Looking at pictures of other people (before/afters)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    It's just something I do now, I don't think about it it just kind of happens.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    A few things.

#1. I'm vain. I want to look GOOD. I hate that roll of fat and I want it the F gone - I want to look kick *kitten* in a pair of jeans, a dress, a bikini, whatever the hell I put on. I don't care who sees me, but I want to look good for myself when I see myself in the mirror.

#2. I want to be healthy. I want to live to be 100, IF I'm healthy. I'm almost 27 and I have a lot of living left to do.

#3. I want to have kids in the near(ish) future, and I want to be healthy for them and my husband.

If that's not enough motivation to keep me going, well, I don't know what is. Sure, we all have our days where we "lose" it, but the important thing is to remember why we came here in the first place :smile:
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat healthy, exercise, and not worry about your weight? Focus on the health aspect. Think of the good you're doing for your body if you treat it well.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Not being fat is pretty much all the motivation I need.

Oh, and looking good naked has it's benefits.
  • witchiipooh
    witchiipooh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I buy something that I really love in the next size down (new jeans is a good one) then I hang them in the bathroom so I have to look at them every single day until finally that moment comes where they fit!!!
  • ajoyfulyoga
    Options
    Find something that you LOVE doing and that doesn't feel like "working out" and foods that don't taste like "dieting". I know it is a tall order, but these things are important. I found yoga ten years ago and it has become my passion, hobby and now my full-time job. I have alot of friends that go and it feels more like a social outing than a "workout" per se. I think this is true of rock climbing, biking, power walking...whatever you like. Make it a group effort and get some support! Hope this helps!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Not being fat is pretty much all the motivation I need.

Oh, and looking good naked has it's benefits.

Yup, a fatphobic society is a pretty big motivator.

Agreed. I love how awesome I look naked.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The continual pursuit to excel and prosper at everything I do. I'm easily fustraited by complacency and stagnation...I'm an ambitious progressive who wants it all. My motivation is intrinsic.
  • Inked_Chik_89
    Options
    Wow.....all these responses are great! Thanks for all your thoughts!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    The mirror, the scale, and my own desire to be the best I can be.
  • Leslie4834
    Leslie4834 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What motivates is anger. My ex boyfriend told me I was useless and worthless and a fat ****. I'm only 170lbs I know that is fat, I see it he does not have to tell me. I have a mirror. He tells me because I'm fat I would never do anything with my life just sit on the couch and get heavier and fatter. Well I ran my first mile the other day. Plus I just got accepted to college for nursing so how bad can I really be, plus I work as an CNA and home health aid. So every time I think about my ex I get angry an so I exercise I have only lost three pounds but hey its a start. So every time I think about him I get up getting angry and I put all of that energy into a workout. That is what motivates me to do this.
  • lokooe
    Options
    What motivates me? Well Respect and Will power. When people walks by you and looks up to you you with great care, that is what motivates me the most. Nothing is Impossible.

“Reality is the mirror of your thoughts”