Protein shakes/meal replacement

Good Morning,

Just curious, those of you that drink protein shakes or meal replacements. How much do you pay for them? How is it making you feel? What are your thoughts? Please post.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Mine cost ~ 1.50 per, depending on how I make it. Love them, though nothing beats real food.
  • jpvanzut
    jpvanzut Posts: 22 Member
    I've used Isagenix Vanilla Shake to replace my breakfast in the past. I think it comes to be about 50 dollars for 1 container and a container contains about 14 servings. I think this shake is by far the best tasting shake I've had. I recently have started using Optimum's 100% Natural Oats and Whey, vanilla bean flavored. I have only used this post work-out. It costs 26 dollars and has 26 servings. It also tastes pretty good. In terms of taste I would say I prefer the Isagenix but the cost-effectiveness of the Optimum is hard to beat.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Gaspari Myofusion. Make with ice cold water and ice. Lush. I tend to stick to food as it keeps me feeling more full up when dieting, but no difference inbetween shakes and food. Same thing.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    optimum nutrition. its about $10/lb
    I might go for true nutrition next and do a custom blend.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Go to be giving trutein a try this go round. My current favorite is syntha-6
  • robinrsimmons428
    robinrsimmons428 Posts: 42 Member
    I use Visalus. I have them for breakfast and for lunch. Then after I work out I have one mixed with water. I love them.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    I use Advocare Vanilla Protein Shakes in the morning and a box of 14 packets is about $39. I blend one packet with 10-12 ounces of water (it says 8 but it's to thick for me) and 1 cup frozen fruit for a yummy morning meal.
  • HI,I JUST HAD MY FIRST.IT WAS SLIMFAST HIGH PROTEIN CREAMY CHOCOLATE.I MIXED IT IN MY COFFEE AND I LIKED IT ALOT.
    I DON'T THINK I WILL CRAVE CHOCOLATE CANDY BECAUSE IT'S SO RICH.IT COST 7bucks and change.NOW I'M WAITING TO SEE HOW IT GOES TILL LUNCH.FRIEND ME IF YOU'D LIKE.
  • I make my own and live them!!! They run between $1-$2.50 depending.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Healthy Essentials: Vanilla costs me $19.95 for 23 servings, so less than a dollar a shake. I'll definitely take that price.
  • Mine vary, and I switch them up. Currently using a few different. One of my favourites is Trader Joe's Chocolate Hemp Protein and Living Harvest Vanilla Spice Hemp Protein.

IIRC, the TJ's was around $13 for a huge tub, and the LH was around $20.

I really liked Shakeology's Chocolate, but it's ridiculously expensive, and I get adequate nutrition from other sources to not need the extras(not to mention, I'm capable of replicating a lot of it, since my kitchen has always been well stocked).
  • I absolutely love the Herbalife Vanilla protein/meal replacement powder. I blend it with unsweetened almond milk and whatever fruit sounds good at the time. This is a super quick breakfast for me that keeps me full for at least 3 hours!!
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    I use dymatize gourmet protein which is about $0.80/serving. I usually use two scoops when I drink, so it's 42 grams of protein for about $1.50 when I mix with water. I don't go the 'meal replacement' route with drinks, I would rather eat real food than a meal replacement or a protein bar to have the act of chewing. I use the protein shakes for additional protein before/after working out.
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    I vary. I go between the Whey Protien (Wal Mart or Target, 5lb for about $12), Lean Body for Her (co-worker bought it on Amazon, $36 20 pack single servings) and currently since I am deployed, I can get Met-Rx single serve for free in the Chow Hall I'm assigned to and nothing is better than free. (they usually run about $50/18 pack single serve)

I like all of them, it just depends on where I am and what I can get my hands on at the time for which I use. I currently use the Met-Rx as my lunch, maybe with some crackers or dry cherrios, and it lasts me thru dinner, if not the next morning.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    majority of my protein intake is from shakes/powder. Its cheaper than meat, and i prefer the taste of a shake to that of a steak.