Weight up, waist down

Options
Starting to wonder what is going on. I am up again in my weight so have only lost .4 pounds overall, but i've lost over an inch and a half off of my waist. Think muscle? But that much? Water weight? I mean, i feel like I look better.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you've just started weight loss, I'd imagine it's not muscle, but the scale might be off, water weight, all sorts of things. Your waist is smaller; be happy. :)
  • Cristlefir
    Cristlefir Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was having this issue for a while, too. My measurements were going down, but my weight was fluctuating up and down from week to week. I couldn't get myself to lose that five pounds that kept me stagnant.

The thing is, you ARE slimming out, even if your weight isn't changing much. Your body is. And while it's more likely attributed to water weight than muscle (because you're trying to lose right now, not maintain), you probably aren't either A) sticking to a good enough diet, or B) exercising enough, to see weight loss. Your body is going to change because you're working it. You ARE gaining muscle. No doubt you've lost fat weight too.

I found that when I really buckled down on my diet (mainly using this site to help track my calories) and kept working out the same, I began losing that weight, and I'm seeing those body changes even faster now.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The scale is only a tool. It is not the end all be all of determining if you are changing your body. You apprently are doing something right because your body is changing. That is the true test is things are going well. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Mostly water, but probably some muscle gain too.
  • faupster
    faupster Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The mirror is the best way to judge results.

Weight can change as much as 5 pounds a day. Use the scale the same time every day OR use it once a week - For example using the scale each monday morning will show more accurate results.

Bottom line - Use the scale as a reference, use the mirror as the motivation.
  • spoons81
    spoons81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    And measurements to judge success.

With so little info, it's hard to say for sure. How long have you been at it? How much are you eating? For most people, it's water weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its water weight.. what and how long have you been doing workout routine? And how many calories are you eating?