Can you go to the ER for a toothache?

Options

Replies

• PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    your tooth could be abcessed.... and the hospital can help with that even if there is no dentist on call.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

If they had a look at my tooth they would be able to see that half the tooth has broken off and it is swollen all around the edges...

so why didnt you go to the dentist?!

i say tough it out with some painkillers and get to the dentist at 9am

It's called being a student?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

If they had a look at my tooth they would be able to see that half the tooth has broken off and it is swollen all around the edges...

Why haven't you left for the ER yet?
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The real answer is yes, you can. they will even give you an antibiotic and maybe a pain killer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you cant take care of your health because you're a student?! WTF?!
  • TylerJ76
    Options

No, DUH!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Some insurance companies will deny your visit saying you used the ER for a non emergency problem. Read your plan documents.

Either way, you are going to have to see a dentist. The ER can't perform a root canal or bite wing xrays. Pain medicine only last so long. I went to the dentist this morning and they gave me pain meds and an antibiotic in prep for a root canal next week.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

No, DUH!

It's called students don't have $$$$$$$$ lying around. Duh.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming college student, so does your college have a 24-hour infirmary? If so, that might be your ticket and will be some or all covered by the university.

JM
  • crystalmshultz
    Options
    Since you are a student, does your school have a dental program? You can often see someone at the dental school for free or almost free, just an idea.
  • TylerJ76
    Options

No, DUH!

It's called students don't have $$$$$$$$ lying around. Duh.

So what are you going to do when the ER tells you to go to the dentist?

Why haven't you left for the ER yet? Or are you just going let the tooth fall out..
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Nope, you can't.

Things to tie you over: try brushing with toothpaste. Toothpaste has a numbing agent in it. I was in a similar situation a few years ago and it was the only thing that helped (I too was curled up crying on the couch, turns out I had an exposed nerve from a bad filling).

Other things you might read online are: garlic compress, crushing up an asprin, or alcohol. None of those worked for me, might work for you depending on what's actually causing the problem.

OH, and if the pain goes away, go to the dentist anyway. The problem will just get worse.

If you're worried about expense, when I had my problem I was given two options: root canal or have the tooth pulled. I did not have insurance. The root canal would have cost $8,000, having it pulled would be $200. I decided to have it pulled, knowing I could get an implant later. Ended up costing me $300 because I needed to be anesthetized - the nerve was so sensitive that even with 7 novocaine injections it still hurt for them to pull it.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why dental problems, which can kill you, are not considered medical.
    stooges-dentist-2.jpg
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Last year, my tooth abcessed, and I was in so much pain I passed out.

I went to the ER, got pain meds, and antibiotics, to hold me over until I could get in to my dentist.

If the tooth is infected, it's a good idea to go to ER, as my dentist told me he would not have been able to help me on that day. When a tooth is infected, they can't freeze it. Hhe would have just given me antibiotics anyway, and told me to come back in a week when it was somewhat cleared up.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I got an abscess after getting my wisdom teeth pulled and went to the ER at 6 am. They called an oral surgeon. He said it was a life threatening abscess and he did emergency surgery on me. I was a student (yes students can take care of their health).
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of idiots on this thread.
    This poor girl is in pain and just asking a question.

You could have a bad infection in there in which case the ER would help.
    Maybe try rinsing your mouth with some warm salt water in the meantime to help with the pain. Most likely you have a nerve exposed and the air on it is causing the pain.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did. It cost me about 1000.00 and I was treated like a drug addict. You NEED to get that tooth pulled. I waited a little to long and the infection spread, I now have no feeling in my bottom left side of my jaw.

Good luck!
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but you need to go see a dentist ASAP. You can try the emergency clinic and they might give you something for the pain but the issue won't go away until the tooth is fixed, and the longer you wait, the worse the damage and pain will get. Some dental offices will allow you to do a payment plan, especially if you've been a longtime patient of theirs and have a good record of showing up and paying for treatment well. Hope you're feeling better soon.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Put it on a credit card if you have to. You have to go to the dentist for things like this. If you wait, you may end up losing that tooth completely.

I don't have a credit card...

Talk to your dentist...chances are they can do payments with you.

Don't wait any longer.