Your thoughts?

Options
Hi all. I am trying to decide where to go from here. 6 weeks ago, I went to a clinic and was prescribed phentermine and put on a 1200 calorie diet. I made about 1275 a day and lost 11 pounds in two weeks. Even with the drug, I was hungry. I walked 4 days a week (fast) and lifted weights (machines) 3 days. I exercised 7 days a week for 5 weeks. At the end of that time, had lost 15 pounds.

Since joining MFP, I have actively read and participated in the forums. What amazed me most were the results from the women who were doing heavy lifting. I love weights! I am strong and enjoy pushing myself and can see that this method of fat loss has really changed women's bodies to an extreme degree. I have read a lot of posts about eating more to lose, resetting metabolism and giving up on 1200 calorie diets.

So. I am left feeling conflicted. Even though I have lost on this physician's plan, I feel that it might be healthier for me to eat more calories and focus on lifting to change my body composition. However, I am terrified to eat what the calculators tell me is correct. According to Scooby and the spreadsheet, something around 1600-2000 calories is good for me. I have gained at this rate in the past. I understand that these calories should come from healthy eating and, yes, I know what that is. I don't eat fast food or crap. I am a 25 year vegetarian and have access to all kinds of healthy foods.

Can someone please give me info (women, especially) on how and if they reset their metabolism and how they lifted to the point of being a healthy body fat percentage? I would like to lose at a healthy rate, while lifting, and not feel hungry or have to take drugs. I am asking for constructive help, not criticism. Thank you for answering!

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    How close are you to your goal? I did fine losing weight on a lower calorie diet until I got within 10 pounds of my goal, then everything plateaued. So I changed things up, started weights, increased calories. Since doing that I haven't lost any scale weight, but I have lost a few inches here and there and definitely have more muscle. Just my opinion, but if you're happy and doing well and losing on the lower calories, do it until it stops working, then change things up at that point.
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. I am about 80 pounds from my goal.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    In my mind if your hungry then you need to increase your calories....most likely protein. Since I began changing my eating lifestyle I am not hungry. I could never do this if I was. I eat my 3 meals a day and rarely have any snacks between meals. I'm not on a "diet", I've changed my eating lifestyle. Also, if you are exercising so much but only eating 1200 calories and your hungry I'd say your body is telling you something. Are you eating back some of your exercise calories? Curious...what is the rush? Why do you feel you need to be losing the weight so fast?
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    It sounds like what you are doing is working for you. Although being hungry isn't good. I am by no means an expert at all, but I would suggest upping your calories slightly (like 100 every couple of weeks) until you get to a point that you are feeling satisfied all day. Then, since you are already doing weights on the machines 3 days a week, just replace that with heavier lifting and see how it goes. When you stop seeing results, or stop feeling good, then think about retweaking again. It sounds like you've gotten a good start though.
  • windyleal
    Options
    In the past I have done the same types of weight loss plans and gained and lost the same weight over and over. the problem with something so restrictive is that when you "finish" the plan and slowly start to eat normally again the weight comes right back and usually you gain even more that you lost.

I do agree to increase the protein if you are lifting weights and also to listen to your body. If you are on a good plan you should not be feeling hungry. Also, make good choices for food. Eat the most sustaining filling foods with your calories allowed. I am on a plan where I cannot go more that five hours without eating...but i have changed my carb intake. Rather than eating bread and pastas...my carbs are mostly fruits. I am also a chocolate lover so I eat one piece of chocolate every night before bed. Most of our eating plan is mental - when we get our minds right our plans become much easier.

Best of luck on your plan - I hope you find something that works.
  • edennew
    Options
    In my mind if your hungry then you need to increase your calories....most likely protein. Since I began changing my eating lifestyle I am not hungry. I could never do this if I was. I eat my 3 meals a day and rarely have any snacks between meals. I'm not on a "diet", I've changed my eating lifestyle. Also, if you are exercising so much but only eating 1200 calories and your hungry I'd say your body is telling you something. Are you eating back some of your exercise calories? Curious...what is the rush? Why do you feel you need to be losing the weight so fast?

Dont know where you got that I'm in a rush. As I said, I'm looking to lose at a healthy rate.
  • edennew
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I am eating 100-150 grams of protein a day. I hardly ever eat bread, pasta, rice or other starches. I was hoping that some female heavy lifters would give me their experiences with metabolic reset- not really looking for nutritional advice.

BCSMama- i lkie your advice. maybe just doing minor adjustments to tweak my body's response.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Extremely low calorie diets do cause problems with your body after some time - I am not a doctor and cannot explain all the negative affects, but I am certain you can search the forums and the internet. I was always a low calorie dieter - but then I plateaued for a very long time.

I was terrified, but upped my calories according to TDEE at a 20% deficit (adding 400 calories a day). I put the scale away for 30 days and made myself stick with it just to see if it really worked. Well, it did. I lost 2 pounds in that first 30 days (I am very close to my goal so my guess is your weight will come off much faster).

I recommend trying it for 30 days - if your TDEE is 1600, eat at a 20% deficit for 30 days (i was thinking that even if it makes me gain, it couldn't be too many pounds since 3500 excess calories makes a pound). Put the scale away. It takes some time for our bodies to adjust to eating healthy so 30 days is a good period to test.

Whatever you decide - best of luck to you!!
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember where I read a suggestion to eat a gram of protein for every pound of body weight... it was a fitness site. If I find it, I'll report back. Also, I read that you should drink an ounce of water for every pound of body weight. I do, and I really do think it makes a difference.

Kudos to you for wanting to lose weight at a healthy pace. You are setting yourself up for permanent success! Yay you! :smile: