Am I training properly?

Options
Hey, I'm 29 with about 35-40lbs still to lose. This is my typical gym workout 4-5 times a week;

30 minutes treadmill (6-7kpm, 10-15% incline)
10 minutes rower (level 10 which is as high as it goes)
Arm weights 25kg 15 reps x 3
Arm weights 15kg 15 reps x 3
Leg press 40kg 15 x 3
Sit up machine 40kg 200 total
Leg addiction 35kg 15 x 5
Leg abduction 35kg 15 x 5
15 minutes cross trainer
Arm bike 10-15 minutes.

Sorry I don't know all the correct terms but hopefully you get it!

Does this sound ok as a workout to burn fat? I am a red sweaty mess the whole time and I push myself but I just want some reassurance or guidance from people that have a clue (I don't)

Thanks for reading x

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    consider switching your lifting to compound moves
    squat
    bench
    deadlift
    overhead press..
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    squat
    bench
    deadlift
    overhead press..

Agreed. Compound moves will give you better results in less time. You could try something like this program:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Also, you don't need to jump around cardio machines that much. And 200 situps is just crazy and not needed.
  • fattymc
    Options
    Thanks, I will definitely add squats etc.
    I only do 200 sit ups as I have a small hernia from giving birth in my stomach, the dr suggested lots of stomach exercises to hopefully avoid surgery. If its pointless though I'll definitely cut that down because its a killer haha
    Thanks for the link too, much appreciated :)
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    squat
    bench
    deadlift
    overhead press..

Agreed. Compound moves will give you better results in less time. You could try something like this program:

Also, you don't need to jump around cardio machines that much. And 200 situps is just crazy and not needed.

Agreed with both posters. Also, compound moves (depending on the exercise) will work your arms, abductors and adductors as well as your core so you won't need to spend extra time working on those muscles separately. Good luck with everything
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 29 with about 35-40lbs still to lose. This is my typical gym workout 4-5 times a week;

30 minutes treadmill (6-7kpm, 10-15% incline)
    10 minutes rower (level 10 which is as high as it goes)
    Arm weights 25kg 15 reps x 3
    Arm weights 15kg 15 reps x 3
    Leg press 40kg 15 x 3
    Sit up machine 40kg 200 total
    Leg addiction 35kg 15 x 5
    Leg abduction 35kg 15 x 5
    15 minutes cross trainer
    Arm bike 10-15 minutes.

Sorry I don't know all the correct terms but hopefully you get it!

Does this sound ok as a workout to burn fat? I am a red sweaty mess the whole time and I push myself but I just want some reassurance or guidance from people that have a clue (I don't)

Thanks for reading x

I would rethink your routine.

Go with a 5x5 weigh training routine 3 days per week as mentioned previously this will exercise your whole body and negate the need for isolation exercises for a good six months.

For your cardio days you only really need 30 minutes -

I do on my non weigh training days:-

Stretching
    2k mins on C2 rower. ( I try to beat my last time).
    10 mins Treadmill (HIIT)
    10 mins Stationary Bike (HIIT)
    Stretching

HIIT will burn more calories than long duration cardio.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of a 5x5 routine. Simple and effective.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will definitely add squats etc.
    I only do 200 sit ups as I have a small hernia from giving birth in my stomach, the dr suggested lots of stomach exercises to hopefully avoid surgery. If its pointless though I'll definitely cut that down because its a killer haha
    Thanks for the link too, much appreciated :)

In that case maybe try some different abdominal exercises for variety - focusing on situps alone isn't giving your core a well-rounded workout. Maybe do some crunches, some leg lifts, some oblique twists, some planks, etc.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Agreed with others.

Get rid of the arm bike, adductor, abductor, so many situps. Really a waste of time.

Focus more on squats, deads, lunges, and step ups for the legs, and push press, pushups, planks, tricep dips, stuff like that for abs and arms. I do like the rower for the back, I also do supermans and pullups for the back as well.
  • fattymc
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone, I will be making a new routine tonight and put it into practise tomorrow. I think I really should get an instructor once a week too as obviously I haven't got a clue haha
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Is there an AA type group for "leg addiction?"
  • fattymc
    Options
    If there is I definitely wouldnt attend with the state of mine. Once I get to goal and get fit I'll look into it :)