THE HAPPIEST CRUISE ON EARTH!!!

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
That's right folks! In T-4 days I'll be boarding the Disney Magic for 6 nights of fun times with Mickey! I'm sooooo excited! We are leaving from Galvaston and visiting Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico. While I've cruised before, this is my first Disney cruise...

Has anyone ever gone before of visited the ports? We will also be staying a few days in Houston.

What are some things I must do while I'm there? Favorite places to see, and places to eat? Any things on the ship that I need to be sure to get in too?

And while I do plan on hitting the fitness center... It's vacation... I'm eating whatever I want!!! So go ahead and clue me in on the delicious but not so good for you foods to try too!!!

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Replies

• harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Have fun!
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Foods to try? Anything you've never tried before! Hopefully the dining room will serve lobster one night too. I like to try all the exotic stuff that I can't or won't buy. I make it a point to try new stuff every night and not stick to my favorites that I would order if I was eating out at home.

My inlaws said Grand Cayman was amazing. Cozumel is very touristy unless you get out of the general port area. Be careful if you do though, as it can get dangerous. The tours to the ruins would be great I think if you like history.

We ported beside the Magic in Nassau and it was a nice looking boat! Enjoy, cruises are awesome!

JM
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just went on my first cruise to Progresso & Cozumel in October and I have one word - AWESOME!!! We did not go on Disney, but it was sailing beside us all the way back to Galveston from Cozumel. Very cool to look out your port at night & see the lights of another ship so close in all that ocean!

Anyway...where to start? The food. First of all I highly recommend doing the reserved seating in your dining room. This allows you to visit with the same people each night and compare stories & will also give you ideas on what to do for entertainment. There is a buffet set up that we used for breakfast & a few lunches (the other lunches we ate in the dining room). The buffet, well all I can say is YUM! The only thing I truly missed was no mexican food whatsoever was served. The food was all above average on quality, but I guess as a Texan & traveling to Mexico, I sort of expected more mexican food. But it's ok, cuz you can eat your share when you get there! I found plenty of things that were in my new lifestyle choices, but also some goodies to be "bad" with. :wink:

The entertainment. There's never a lack for something to do! They give you an intinerary every day; use it! The night life was a blast....drinks (if you can afford them), dancing, karaoke, comedy, shows, magic acts, gambling....it never ends! During the day I loved just laying in the pool area; its like party city all the time. Loud music & dancing & games....just fun all the time! On shore we did the kayaking in Progresso and swam with the dolphins in Cozumel. The only complaint I had was if you did a shore excursion, you didn't have time for more than a little shopping right there where you docked. But I loved the dolphins! Once in a lifetime event for us! Pics were expensive (they won't let you take your own; gotta buy their's), but how often do you swim with a dolphin!?!?

One last thing I would HIGHLY recommend if they offer it (we were on a different ship so check with Carnival if Magic offers it), is the behind the fun tour of the ship. It cost us almost $200, but SO worth it! The tour lasted over 3 hours, you got to see ALL the areas no one else sees, we met & had our pic taken with the captain (pics were included in price; unlike other pics on the ship), it was extremely interesting to learn all the behind the scenes stuff about how the ship operates. They threw in a few surprises at the end, but I'll let you find that out if you do the tour! :smile: VERY cool!! (hit the excursion desk as soon as you board the ship if you want to do this b/c they only take like 12-14 people & only do one tour the whole cruise.)

Above everything else, takes TONS of pics & have fun!! Let us know how it went! :drinker:
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    Anyway...where to start? The food. First of all I highly recommend doing the reserved seating in your dining room. This allows you to visit with the same people each night and compare stories & will also give you ideas fo what to do for entertainment.

This is good advice. We LOVE the dining room and getting dressed up for the formal nights!

JM
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Been on 3 Disney Cruises (the Magic, Wonder, and Fantasy in July). Have done any "Western" ones yet though, although Alaska looks appealing.
    I'm a parent so I took more enjoyment watching my daughter have fun, however like Disney there are lots of themes to do on the ship. You want to eat good and are at least 18, then I suggest booking at one of the adult restaurants (it's like $25 extra) and get full service with a fantastic dinner. And be aware of any excursions you book. You may find them cheaper at port compared to paying up front.
    Most of all, enjoy the cruise. Disney does a wonderful job of service.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I really want to do that for my kids. I just haven't had the chance. Do you think a teenager is too old for a Disney cruise?
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Grand Cayman:

if you like the ocean and animals, one of the "you can only do this in cayman" things is going out to the sandbar at stingray city and petting/feeding the stingrays. It's truely amazing!

Also at Cayman that is great is the turtle farm! They have a couple rum factories you can tour as well..

Cozumel is a dilemma of sorts, because there are so many great options!

We've been there a few times now, and this past cruise (2 weeks ago) we got in the ocean for the first time.. took a catamaran out to their marine sanctuary and snorkeled with fish and sea turtles! Then we to a beach called Playa Mia to get lunch drinks and all activities included. :)

There are some great ruins excursions too from Cozumel.. just make sure to check the drive times to get there!
    Some of it is 45 min-1 hour from the ship, and may cut ito your shopping/dining/bar time.. or whatever else you may want to do outside of the excursion. I've always had a great time in Cozumel!

You will have an awesome time at both ports! Bon Voyage!

P.S: I ate what I wanted, just tried to keep the portions in control....but I di dhave dessert wtih every lunch and dinner. :laugh:
    I did between 500-700 calorie burn at the gym 4 of my 7 days, and even though I stepped of the ship 4lbs heavier than when I stepped on, within 48 hours those 4lbs were gone again... I think it was just fluid hanging around from all the extra sodium I undoubtably ate...
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I visited the Grand Cayman's and Cozumel in March of this year. Loved the Grand Cayman's. So beautful. Although the water in Cozumel is beautiful, the beaches were surprisingly dirty. So much trash everywhere. However, the area is still beautiful. We took a jeep ride on our own and stopped at different locations along the beaches. I will warn you that the panhandling is terrible. As soon as you get off the ship, you get bombarded with people trying to sell you stuff. It's a pain in the butt!
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You should try Cruisecritic.com

They have reviews for every ship. There are also Forums and a meet & greet section where you can talk to outhers on the same sailing as you.

Have a fantastic time.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I really want to do that for my kids. I just haven't had the chance. Do you think a teenager is too old for a Disney cruise?

Absolutely not! Disney is fun for ALL ages!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Any suggestions on the best place to buy tickets?
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    As soon as you get off the ship, you get bombarded with people trying to sell you stuff. It's a pain in the butt!

Just a note here- this is a true statement for sure, but it's more when you get out of the port itself. You'll know when you do get close to the port exit to the city, because there will be a wall of taxi drivers all shouting and reaching for you.

Depending on which pier you dock at in Cozumel, the port shop owners may be a little more aggressive or more passive. Most stores in the port do not haggle either... but it never hurts to try, and the employees there aren't offended if you do.

If someone is bothering you, just move on. :smile:

If you do a cruise ship excursion, your group will meet somewhere between the ship's dock and the port exit. For us, it was straight up from where the ship docked, against a back wall to the right of all of the shops.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Personally, I don't think so. I was 15 when my parents *finally* took us to Disneyworld. I still wore my Minnie Mouse shirt and the mouse ears hat and had a blast!

ETA: And it just occurred to me that I'm wearing a Minnie Mouse shirt in my profile pic. You are never too old for Minnie Mouse, IMO! :laugh:
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Omg I've been on all the Disney cruises and am going on the Wonder again from the 29th to the 3rd or 4th... Obsession... Anyway, you have to check out the shopping seminar the first day. They give you tons of coupons, a free charm bracelet, and lists of where to go and where to avoid. Also, you get the chance to win awesome prizes :) Ooh and check out the gym and walking track on the ship... They're pretty nice :)

ETA: Also, Salsa and Salsa is a fun excursion in Cozumel, and to the person who asked if their kids were too old for a Disney Cruise... NO! There is a teen club, an 18-21-year-old-club, events and activities for all ages... Man, now I'm getting excited.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    We just came back from a cruise that stopped in both of those ports. I agree with Stingray City in Grand Cayman...very cool. The excursion we were on offered to stop and let people off at Seven Mile beach on the way back to Georgetown. It's easy to taxi back to the pier. Just remember to leave time for the tender. If you enjoy the water, go snorkeling in Cozumel. We went on the Fury catamaran and after snorkeling to their beach which was clean and had things to do. Most of all...have fun!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've done a cruise that followed this route. Excursions are the way to go - do something you really want to do like tour ruins or snorkel. If that's not appealing, wander around the port or go lay on a beach. Cozumel had good shopping, and when we wandered off the main drag we found some very excellent mole enchiladas. Also, Mexican Coke with real sugar is kind of wonderful.

In Houston, I'd recommend the following for meals:
    Bombay Pizza (Indian fusion) - Downtown
    Fu Fu Cafe (authentic Chinese) - Chinatown/Bellaire
    Raia's Italian Market - Washington Ave
    Hot Bagel Shop - Shepherd
    Molina's (Mexican) - Washington Ave
    Goode Company BBQ - Upper Kirby
    The Hobbit Cafe (American) - Upper Kirby
    Blue Fish (Sushi) - Upper Kirby
    House of Pies (Diner) - Upper Kirby or Westheimer
    Empire Cafe - Montrose
    Coco's Crepes - Midtown
    Canopy (brunch) - Montrose
    The Raven (American Grill) - Rice area

Bars:
    Gingerman (Beer) - Rice Village
    Anvil (Fancy cocktails) - Montrose
    The entire drag in Midtown

Things to do:
    Go see a show at the Alley Theater
    Check out Discovery Green
    Take a tour of Minute Maid Park if you're a baseball fan
    Go shopping in the Galleria
    Go shopping in Rice Village
    Go jogging in Memorial Park
    Go to any of the really awesome museums in the Museum District

Have a SUPER FUN trip!!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    <
    Totally jealous!

I am going on a cruise summer of 2012. Can't wait! Have a great time and report back!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The teens sections if OFF LIMITS to I believe 20 and older. That means NO PARENTS. What teen doesn't want that on a cruise?:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • the_journeyman
    Options

Any suggestions on the best place to buy tickets?

Disney Cruise Lines website! You can usually get as good as or better deal than the travel websites.

JM
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

The Hobbit Cafe (American) - Upper Kirby

I totally want to go to Houston and gradually getting more jealous of the OP! :laugh: