Quinoa question

Options
skyhealth
skyhealth Posts: 38 Member
Hey everyone:)
I haven't made quinoa before and want to try it out, but I want to cook it in the microwave instead of on the stove
my question is if I want one serving which is 1/4 cup dry how much water do I put and how long do I microwave it for?
because I'm cooking a smaller portion I would think the cooking time is less, but I'm not sure how much less.
also how much does 1/4 cup dry yield cooked?

Thanks:) and any good quinoa recipes around 250 calories would be appreciated!

Replies

• Goonygugu
    Options
    I would say that if you are using 1/4 cup dry then a full cup of water should be fine, and microwave it on ehigh for about 10 min. you will see the little kernel "pops' and a little white bit sticks out - when that happens it's cooked..

1/4 cup uncooked should yield about 1 cup cooked.

as for recipes - just google quinoa recipes there are loads on the net
  • pam3b
    pam3b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've never tried making quinoa in the microwave, but if itworks let me know I will try it. I usually make 1/2 cup of dry with one cup of water and it yields about 1 1/2 cups cooked. If your familiar with Pinterest there is TONS of awesome Quinoa recipes on there. I love this stuff!
    This is my favorite ( I dont make the vinagratte I just squeeze some lime juice or use apple cider vinegar):

SOUTHWESTERN QUINOA SALAD WITH CHIPOTLE VINAIGRETTE
    For Salad:
    1 cup quinoa
    1 can sweet corn
    1 can black beans
    1 package small roma or cherry tomatoes
    1/3 of a red onion, diced
    roughly 1/3 cup cilantro
    avocado
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've never done it in the microwave but I have found that if you soak it for at least 10 minutes before hand then it takes away a lot of the bitter taste.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I want to know if someone has tried this! If not, will you be our experimenter?
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipe is Quinoa Tabboleh.

Here is a sample recipe but you can add all kinds of stuff to it. I like to add feta cheese and green olives for a bit of a flavor pick up.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/06/quinoa-tabbouleh
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Happygirl50
    Happygirl50 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump thanks
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Chicken Quinoa mac 'n cheese (no mac)
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • skyhealth
    skyhealth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If I was to cook 1/4 cup on the stove how much water would I use and how long do I cook it for? thanks:)
  • pithynutritionpun
    pithynutritionpun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ehhh I've never heard of doing it in the microwave. Definitely rinse it first in a fine mesh strainer, otherwise it will taste bitter. When doing it on the stovetop, the ratio is 1:2 (e.g. 1C quinoa to 2C water) so maybe try your 1/4 cup quinoa to 1/2 cup water. Hard to say for how long, I would start it at 3 mins on high as a complete ballpark guess. Certainly report back and let us know if that worked for you, I'm interested in knowing how that goes.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I make Quinoa is 2-3 servings, so I eat some now and leave some for later on. Yea, I'm lazy :tongue:

--> --> --> For every 1/4 cup of Quinoa, you'll need 1/2 cup of water.

Makes 3 Servings:

Ingredients

2 tablespoons (ie 1/8 cup) pine nuts
    1/2 cup quinoa
    1 cup water
    salt to taste
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
    1.5 stalk celery, chopped small
    1/4 red onion, chopped small
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped fine
    ( add any other veggies, i add bell pepper, carrotts, spinach.. just make sure you chop it small)

Directions

Toast the pine nuts briefly in a dry skillet over medium heat. This will take about 5 minutes, and stir constantly as they will burn easily. Set aside to cool.

In a saucepan, combine the quinoa, water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly, then fluff with a fork.

Transfer the quinoa to a serving bowl and stir in the pine nuts, lemon juice, celery, onion, cayenne pepper, cumin and parsley. Adjust salt and pepper if needed before serving.

** sometimes i add in the spices with the quinoa while it's being cooked. this really brings out the flavor of the quinoa and spices!
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the water! The ratio is 1:2. That means 1/4 cup quinoa = 1/2 cup water, 1 cup quinoa = 2 cup water, etc.. Check the cooking instructions, some Quinoas like the tricolor suggests to use 1.5 cups of water for every 1 cup of dry grains. I personally like the 1:2 ratio because it come out fluffier. Also keep in mind that if you add other ingredients like beans or high water content veggies you should reduce the water or stock a little. I never tried it in the microwave, but I guess it would be like making rice. Good luck and let us know how it comes out. :smile:
  • newfette81
    Options
    bump
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it in the microwave. :huh:

I usually just cook a whole pot on the stove then portion it out for a grab and go side.

Quinoa mac and cheese is my favorite. :love:
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I would microwave it. My 2 cents.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone:)
    I haven't made quinoa before and want to try it out, but I want to cook it in the microwave instead of on the stove
    my question is if I want one serving which is 1/4 cup dry how much water do I put and how long do I microwave it for?
    because I'm cooking a smaller portion I would think the cooking time is less, but I'm not sure how much less.
    also how much does 1/4 cup dry yield cooked?

Thanks:) and any good quinoa recipes around 250 calories would be appreciated!

Hmmm...the packaging should provide all that information. It does on mine.
  • _namaste_
    Options
    For some reason I don't think microwave is the ideal way to cook Quinoa. I'd also worry that it might negate some of the nutritional benefits? Hmmm...

If I were you I'd just cook more on the stove (only takes 15 minutes with little work) and then portion out so you have a few days worth. That's what I do! :)