How do you eat your vegetables?

Options

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I heat up frozen vegetables in the microwave, and eat them with salt and pepper. Not sexy, but it gets the job done.

OMG ME TOO

In that case, I guess it is kinda sexy.

Geez....get a room already!

Rooms are for prudes
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i steam them or pan fry with some olive oil. i prefer steaming though, and make sure they're a bit raw in the center for the veggie crunch.

steaming is so damn easy. $1 steamer, 2 inches of boiling water, cups and cups of steamed vegetables done in 5 minutes while i feed the dog or prepare another part of my dinner.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I used to basically only eat fruits and vegetables, by choice. And only raw!
    My mom thought I was kind of kooky but was happy I wasn't requesting cupcakes in my lunch pail.

I started eating cooked vegetables when I was maybe 15.

I throw them in everything though:

•cram everything into a salad
    •make a jumbo veggie platter, hummus or baba ganouj for dipping
    • roast them on the bbq in a pan, drizzling them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar
    •puree everything you can find and "sneak" it into soups, chilis, marinara sauces
    •JUICE THEM! This is one of my favourite ways to get my veggies-- incredibly filling and you get so many nutrients (plus I get bored of chewing sometimes)
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love frozen veggies heated up in the microwave. They taste much fresher than canned. I eat them with just a little bit of butter mixed in. I also love raw veggies. Either plain or with a little bit of light ranch dressing. YUM!!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I like to make salads, especially with berries, goat cheese and glazed nuts. It's a good way to get my greens in when I don't love greens.

I also love sauteeing or steaming veggies and then just adding a little salt with freshly ground black pepper (McCormick makes a garlic pepper grinder that's perfect for this). Chopping them up and mixing them with rice is good too.

For squashes, I like them boiled and mashed with a little salt and butter or roasted with a little butter and maple syrup.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    It depends on the particular veggie sometimes. For example, I pretty much only eat carrots raw and tomatoes cooked. Aside from that, I like them just about any way. I'm an avid veggie lover.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    My favorite is oven roasted... Nom Nom Nom. Toss with some olive oil and seasoning and roast until perfect.

I like raw vegetables and will munch those with some low sodium salad dressing.

If I eat my cauliflower or broccoli steamed I lay half a slice of GOOD quality cheddar on top of them while they are still hot and let it melt.

.... now I want veggies for breakfast.....
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Steamed, roasted, and blended into soups, or just veggie soup, I love crock pot veggies they are the best!!
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    With a fork .

Ooooo, ME TOO!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Many different ways!

Microwave frozen, fresh, roast in the oven with paprika, garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper and a bit of pam spray or olive oil.

I buy a frozen Palermo Margharita pizza and basically cover the entire thing with diced mushrooms, red bell peppers, onions and sometimes jalapenos. Half of one pizza is only 390 calories! It is a bit high in sodium but I get my veggie pizza fix.

Oven baked sweet potato fries, delicious!

I love fresh broccoli with sauteed fresh garlic, frest lemon zest, lemon juice, a bit of butter, olive oil, salt and pepper. I think that is my fav and I also use it on fresh green beans, asparagus. Sometimes I'll add some whole grain bowtie pasta and make a meal out of it.

Corn with parsley, a bit of butter, salt and pepper. There is also an herbal seasoning made by McCormick called Salad Supreme or something like that. I love it on veggies.

Sweet potatoes with a bit of butter, splenda brown sugar and or mini marshmallows. That adds a lot of flavor and not many calories if you're careful with the amt you add.

Grow your own herbs. They grow like weeds and add soooo much to veggies, homemade salad dressings, etc.

Skinnytaste.com has a lot of recipes. You don't have to add a lot of anything to enhance a vegetable. That helps a lot if you get tired of eating them plain.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If they are real- Raw. Steamed. Roasted. Grilled.

If they are from a can- I put them in anything. Pot Pie. Casseroles. Mashed Potatoes.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    With my butt. I stick them up there to get the nutrients faster.
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    I blend A LOT!!!

I eat veggies with a fork too, but I cannot get the 5-7 serving of veggies if I didn't blend.
  • lostsouls65
    lostsouls65 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Curried cabbage sounds delicious
    curry cabbage is good. i normally eat my veggies with rice or on top of my salad.

i tried to go raw before but it really hurt my stomach so i stopped. i cook regular food for my family and i just eat the sides. i don't like meat but i don't push it on anyone else. there are always side dishes or a salad i can indulge in at ANY function and there are times when i'll have a small piece of meat.
  • boey2
    boey2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I normally make Veggie stir-frys or roasted butternut squash with Cajun spice sprinkled on it yummy + filling :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I heat up frozen vegetables in the microwave, and eat them with salt and pepper. Not sexy, but it gets the job done.

I love the steamer bags!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    With a really disgusted look on my face.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love steamed veggies except for carrots those I eat raw with a teaspoon of ranch for flavor. For seasoning I use Weber brand Veggie Grill seasoning it is sooooo good! I love it on my steamed broccoli and asparagus!
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Curried Cauliflower puree pure indulgence but so low cal (i use WW creme fraiche)
    [/quote

would you share your recipe?]
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I love the fact that you can eat SOOOOOO many vegetables and have still so many calories left, even when your belly is stuffed to the max. Everybody eats their vegetables different and while many of us enjoy our vegetables fresh and raw, others cook them or buy them already pre-cooked in cans. Also, what type of things do you mix vegetables in?

I watched this show about this girl who ONLY eats raw vegetables. She will not touch ANYTHING else. Now, maybe that's a little too far because I can't imagine ONLY eating raw vegetables and never having anything different but I do love me some raw veges.

Would you ever do what she did? Strictly eating raw vegetables for years? I mean, sure. You'd get use to it. But you'd be so controlled by it. And control can be a good thing but not this controlled. She litarely wouldn't spend time with family because they'd try to make her eat other things. She couldn't spend time with friends either. She was afraid of the pressure. Her and her family didn't eat dinner together anymore because the dad and daughter would eat whatever. She even still cooked all the yummy foods for them.

I eat mine raw or steamed. It's a little sad, but I completely understand where this girl is coming from. I don't spend as much time around friends and family anymore because they'll try to make me eat things outside of my "safe foods" so I neglect those relationships a little too much.