STARVED between lunch and dinner!

Options
Ok, so I've noticed a terrible pattern.....I tend to snack A LOT inbetween lunch and dinner. I have been told to have a low cal snack between the meals, however, I am terribly hungry still and a 100 calorie snack (or less) just doesn't cut it and my stomach is still growling until I eat dinner. I do eat breakfast so I'm not sure what more I can do and still remain under my calorie goal.

What should I do, any ideas??

Replies

• vickyrep
    vickyrep Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Congrats on the lost lbs so far!!

What are you eating for a snack now?
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    crackers and cottage cheese?
  • mandaface015
    Options
    You should look at how many calories you need to eat during a day. Lets say it is 1500, a 100 calorie snack is definitely not enough. I split up my meals so i eat 5 300 calorie meals a day. That usually keeps me satisfied. Also i dont count my vegetable calories so eat as many as them as you want! Hope this helps.
  • durbanski
    durbanski Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I find starting the day with something even if its just a protein shake is good to coat the stomach. I eat Quaker granola 90 cal bars as a snack if i need something. I recommend drinking lots of water to keep the stomach happy between meals.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Home made hummus & celery sticks.

I make my hummus to include olive oil but it does not need it. 100 cals worth of good home made hummus I find quite filling and with celery it feels like I ate quite a volume of food for little calories.
  • Jamie_Marie
    Jamie_Marie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Usually for a snack I will eat a light yoplait yogurt or a salad - I try to stick with under 150 calories. But still isn't satisfying me! :(
  • shellybressler
    shellybressler Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am the same way you are and i found what works for me (so I don't over induldge at dinner) is I eat several times during the day. I am eating 100 to 200 cal every 2 to 3 hours and that way I feel like I am always eating...
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem that you do for a while and i experimented with different kinds of foods as my snack. nothing was working for me. then i decided to change the time of the day that i work out from 6 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon. after i come home from school, i have a small snack and relax for about 20 minutes. then i get up and work out. after i work out, i drink a huge bottle of water. doing this keeps me distracted and curbs my hunger also. i also had more energy for the rest of the night!
  • NickiChase
    NickiChase Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What are you having for lunch?? You may need to add more protein to that meal (and a little extra fiber won't hurt either!) For a snack, I find an apple and lowfat string cheese (about 160 calories) helps me make it to dinner. We also eat dinner earlier than many (about 5:30ish) since we have small children. My big vice is a late-night sweet, so I make sure I have (or "buy with exercise") enough calories for a little ounce of dark chocolate before bed. Good luck!!
  • Jamie_Marie
    Options
    You should look at how many calories you need to eat during a day. Lets say it is 1500, a 100 calorie snack is definitely not enough. I split up my meals so i eat 5 300 calorie meals a day. That usually keeps me satisfied. Also i dont count my vegetable calories so eat as many as them as you want! Hope this helps.

What do you usually have for dinner at 300 calories? My husband eats and eats (and actually is trying to GAIN weight) so we have to meet in the middle and when he cooks, I have to watch my portion control BIG TIME! Bless his heart, he tries but he doesn't understand how much calories really are in food! :)
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that what I have for lunch makes a big difference in how hungry I am in the late afternoon. Yesterday I had a double fiber english muffin with 1 oz. of mozzerella cheese and tomatoes, and a banana, and by 3:30 pm I was feeling so hungry, weak, and tired. I don't think I had enough protein. Today I had a cup of homemade lentil soup and 1 slice of WW bread and I didn't notice the weak, tired feeling at all.
  • Jamie_Marie
    Options
    What are you having for lunch?? You may need to add more protein to that meal (and a little extra fiber won't hurt either!) For a snack, I find an apple and lowfat string cheese (about 160 calories) helps me make it to dinner. We also eat dinner earlier than many (about 5:30ish) since we have small children. My big vice is a late-night sweet, so I make sure I have (or "buy with exercise") enough calories for a little ounce of dark chocolate before bed. Good luck!!
    Thanks for your reply!! :) Usually for lunch I make some sort of sandwich using Arnold Thins Selects (LOVE THOSE!) with Weight Watchers cheese, healthy ones turkey/ham and a tad bit of free mayo. Then have some Quaker Rice Snacks, or baked chips.....some days I have salads. I think my biggest problem is boredom too.....I'm currently unemployed (been looking for a job for the past year) as my husband is in the Marine Corps. Usually between lunch and dinner is when I have less things going on....
  • smith_km
    smith_km Posts: 1
    Options
    Try to eat a protein and vegetable for lunch. The combination of the two will keep you full a little longer. Another idea is to split your lunch in half. Eat half at lunch and the other half in the afternoon when you start to feel the hunger pangs come on. Still the same number of calories, just in half.
  • Jamie_Marie
    Options
    GREAT - Thanks for all the helpful advice!! :) I appreciate all the support!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I find I get less hungry if I make my snacks protein-based rather than carb-based.
  • Rikste
    Rikste Posts: 1
    Options
    it looks like you don't have a problem between breakfast and lunch...what if you divide up your lunch? into 2 lunches is that possible? like in time frame 12 pm and 2 pm and a snack at 4 pm maybe depending on what time you have dinner
  • tinabosquez
    tinabosquez Posts: 107
    Options
    Try a whey protein shake or a protein bar. When I am in need of something sweet or chocolate, I drink a triple choc whey protein shake, and I throw a banana in it. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO YUMMY. Also, I am addicted to the atkins choc caramel crunch protein bars, they taste like a piece of cake.........just watch them around the hubby, mine isn't trying to lose weight but he is stealing my bars because he loves them!!! :laugh:
  • mmains
    mmains Posts: 7
    Options
    Try eating more protein for lunch and combine protein and carbs (fruit, veg, starch) for your snack. Don't go more than 4 hours between eating. The protein will help fill you up. A snack that I love is grape tomatoes and a string cheese. Or hummus and crackers or veggies. Even an apple with almond or peanut butter. Good luck!
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    i had the same problem that you do for a while and i experimented with different kinds of foods as my snack. nothing was working for me. then i decided to change the time of the day that i work out from 6 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon. after i come home from school, i have a small snack and relax for about 20 minutes. then i get up and work out. after i work out, i drink a huge bottle of water. doing this keeps me distracted and curbs my hunger also. i also had more energy for the rest of the night!

this works well for me. If i workout in the morning I have a huge appetite for the rest of the day.
  • stacykc437
    Options
    You could try to drink a cup to two of black coffee or tea with your low calorie snack (it is a mere 2 calories/brewed, and curbs hunger). If you do not like plain coffee or tea, you could add nonfat milk and/or Stevia for flavor (that would not have a negative affect on your caloric intake).