Failing in Winter!

November 13th, 2012 - I hit 229.8lbs from a starting weight of 287.6lbs. Now The scale is telling me 233.8lbs, and though I have a had a few days in the past month that haven't been great, There is absolutely no reason why I should have gained 4lbs, EVEN with Thanksgiving!!! I am having a tremendous amount of trouble these last few weeks and I am losing a lot of my steam for making this work. I just logged 200 days in MFP and I am trying to continue because I still have 58lbs to go. But I need to understand TRULY why I am getting all screwed up.

Does winter and colder temperatures make it harder to lose?
Should I cut even more calories? MFP has me at 1460/day
Honestly, how do I break this plateau and get back to losing before this stasis beats me?!

If you have any help or advice to offer, I am all ears.:explode:

Replies

• ksnegirl
    ksnegirl Posts: 85 Member
    I'd love to hear any opinions to this as well. I feel very unmotivated in winter!!! I have maintained through this holiday season so far, but I am not exercising like I need to. I'm all ears too!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    For the original poster, are you exercising and eating like you always have been or have you been slacking because of winter?

To the second poster: You said it yourself: "I m not exercising like I need to."

Motivation can be lost in any season. You need to dig deep and keep on moving!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    It doesn't make it harder to lose... the energy balance equation doesn't change.

Winter can make it harder to stay motivated though. Weather changes, holidays, etc. etc.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Doing more strenuous exercise, or changing your exercise routine always helps me when the weight won't come off. Even if you eat the calories back it still seems to make the difference.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    It's worked for 60 lbs and you're ready to stop now? No doubt your body is making some adjustments, have a little patience, that weight loss wasn't an accident. You don't mention your level of activity. If you have increased it, possibly your are converting some body fat to lean mass. If you haven't increased your physical activity, consider adding some exercise to your day. Make some adjustments, don't stop now.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    you look like a bigger guy (taller) sometimes you need to eat more to lose more... increase your calorie intake to 1600 cals and see what happens.

this is as long as you are exercising the same as before
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    There are several other reasons you gained 4 lbs that are not an increase in fat. Most likely it's water weight.

You can't just say you're going to lose 2 lbs this week and will your body to do it. That's why I'm a big proponent of goals being process oriented not wieght oriented, regardless of season. YOU have direct control over what you eat and how much, and you have direct control over how much / types of exercise that you do. Set some process type goals to remotivate yourself and ignore the scale for a few weeks.
  • I am 5'9"
    My excercise level is low and has been low. I am not unmotivated to excercise, It's just I have a 9 month old who I take care of all Day and then I work nights. The pinched nerve in my neck doesn't help the situation, but that's temporary.
  • jacksonpt
    Weight loss happens when you maintain a healthy caloric deficit. You can do that with diet alone, or with diet and exercise. If you can't exercise (motivation, time, injury, whatever), then just pay more attention to your diet.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    I am 5'9"
    My excercise level is low and has been low. I am not unmotivated to excercise, It's just I have a 9 month old who I take care of all Day and then I work nights. The pinched nerve in my neck doesn't help the situation, but that's temporary.

You are an inch taller and a lot heavier than I - and a male....You need to eat more.....I dont ever eat less than 1700, and I still lose - inches now as I am weight training, but I only have about 10lbs to lose...

Please eat more?
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    My motto is "get up--suit up--show up." This goes for exercise and work.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I am 5'9"

You are an inch taller and a lot heavier than I - and a male....You need to eat more.....I dont ever eat less than 1700, and I still lose - inches now as I am weight training, but I only have about 10lbs to lose...

Please eat more?

This. I am a 5'7'' female and am eating 1700 calories or so a day and still losing. Eat more, it will probably help
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    You are about 5 inches taller than me, weigh about 70 pounds more, are male and likely younger.... point is I eat 1400-1600 calories daily, you need to eat more to lose more. There is a group on here for that reason, although I don't know the link.
  • I need to eat more? When I stated in May, my goal was about 1900cal/day...and the app modifies my calories after I lose a certain amount of weight every time automatically. Is the app incorrect? I currently eat about 1460 a day...you suggest bumping that up appx 300 cal?
  • I feel like I am getting "slacky" as well... I am a walker and have found myself addicted to walking, BUT with the cold raw days here in my neck of the woods I am not walking as I usually do. I am using my stationary bike on the days are bad....I really miss walking my neighborhood though, all the decorations are out...anyway, I keep moving no matter what....the "blue" days of winter are upon us so we just have to muddle through...Take advantage of the GOOD days!! :bigsmile:
  • jacksonpt
    I need to eat more? When I stated in May, my goal was about 1900cal/day...and the app modifies my calories after I lose a certain amount of weight every time automatically. Is the app incorrect? I currently eat about 1460 a day...you suggest bumping that up appx 300 cal?

Yes, I'm 5'8", 36yrs old and I lose at 2200 cals daily (net). IMO, you're not eating enough.