Tough Mudder!

Options
Hey there!
I'm thinking of signing up for a Tough Mudder competition and wondering if anyone here has done it? Any experiences, tips, training help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i would love to do it!! might sign up for one next year with it being one of my goals to complete. i love obstacle courses so i think it would be immense!!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    They are fun
    They hurt, but are fun.

Tough Mudders are not a race, but more about teamwork..

Strength Training and Running will help you lots.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    They are great fun. I've ran 2 and plan to run one next year!

In terms of training, I'd say emphasize your lower body and remember that the biggest obstacle is the terrain. You'll need upper body strength for pulling your self through and over obstacles, and you'll need running just for overall fitness; but again terrain.
    You don't need to run 14 miles in one shot... you'll run between obstacles and hit a bottle neck. Make sure you train your posterior chain, core and calves as they will be constantly challenged by trudging through muck, dealing with uneven surfaces and running up and down inclines. If you're running in the cold then you'll have to think about attire.
    But the most important thing is once you're there, either alone or in a group... have fun!
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options

In terms of training, I'd say emphasize your lower body and remember that the biggest obstacle is the terrain. You'll need upper body strength for pulling your self through and over obstacles, and you'll need running just for overall fitness; but again terrain.
    You don't need to run 14 miles in one shot... you'll run between obstacles and hit a bottle neck. Make sure you train your posterior chain, core and calves as they will be constantly challenged by trudging through muck, dealing with uneven surfaces and running up and down inclines. If you're running in the cold then you'll have to think about attire.
    But the most important thing is once you're there, either alone or in a group... have fun!

Thank you so much!!! I just signed up for the New England one in August of next year...now I just need a badass team name
  • Fit_NYC_
    Options
    Nice.. I run the Tri-State!

I'm running with a bunch of Firemen and police officers next year (I'm neither) and they're calling themselves the Honeybadgers, because they're bad *kitten*!

August will afford you a bit of comfort with the weather, the tri-State runs are late October/ early November... the cold sucks.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Thank you so much!!! I just signed up for the New England one in August of next year...now I just need a badass team name

There's a Tough Mudder in "Boston" on SAT MAY 11 & SUN MAY 12, 2013 if you volunteer you get a discount for the one you will be running in August. We've signed up to Volunteer in May and we're doing the one in August. I'm hoping I get to keep adding ice to the lake.

At least I'll know what I'm getting myself into. We did the warrior dash this year and apparently that was child's play in comparison.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options
    Im only about two hours from boston so i thought about volunteering!
  • Tamika_84
    Tamika_84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I completed it back in September. It was the harderst thing ever. I recommend being able to run at least 10 miles depending on your course. My course was pretty flat but I have seen a lot of courses with hills. Make sure you are on a large team. I would not have made it throught without mine. Good Luck!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I already signed up for the Vermont one in August since the Boston one is still TBD and is somewhere within a 90 min drive of Boston... VT is on a ski mountain so I would think hiking would help here. I did a 5k mud run up a ski mountain and hiking helped my endurance there since I did run up about a third of the way

My coworkers did it last year and were cleaning mud from their ears for days.
    I also know that duct taping your shoes on is a good idea.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Options
    I already signed up for the Vermont one in August since the Boston one is still TBD and is somewhere within a 90 min drive of Boston... VT is on a ski mountain so I would think hiking would help here. I did a 5k mud run up a ski mountain and hiking helped my endurance there since I did run up about a third of the way

Totally, if you're wearing traditional sneakers definitely duct tape them. I run them in five-fingers; if you're used to running in those, that's what I'd recommend.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options

Thanks for the tip! So excited to do this. I just had major hip surgery 9 weeks ago so doing this less than a year post op will be so rewarding!
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm signing up for the one Virginia Beach in June. I've never done before, but I've done Warrior Dash and several half marathons and other running races. I'm looking for MFP friends who are either currently training for one or who have done one to help motivate each other through training. Add me! :)
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing the Florida Tough Mudder in May! It sounds like a lot of fun. Hard work, but fun.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options
    I'm planning on doing the Florida Tough Mudder in May! It sounds like a lot of fun. Hard work, but fun.

wootwoot! Good luck!!! Add me if you want some training friends :)
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    My team and I have signed up for the one in Toronto on May 11, 2013. So pumped. I am currently using an running app to train for a 1/2 marathon and starting to focus on my strength training. I have a very strong lower body, but upper body strength is going to be my biggest challenge.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Im not ready for tough mudder yet but I will do the salvage race in April here in florida!
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    bump - planning on the lake tahoe one in July
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I really want to complete one of these, but I think I will start with the Warrior Dash, then move up from there. I would love training friends!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to do the Mid-Atlantic in September after is was cancelled signed on for VA Beach in June. Work on your upper body strength. You don't need to run 10-12 miles straight, but at least 1-2 miles and have the stamina to workout for 4 hours continuously.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options
    I was supposed to do the Mid-Atlantic in September after is was cancelled signed on for VA Beach in June. Work on your upper body strength. You don't need to run 10-12 miles straight, but at least 1-2 miles and have the stamina to workout for 4 hours continuously.

thanks for the tip!!