Nutrition Books

Options
Alongside my physical goals that I have in place, I also set goals to read a few books about nutrition and a few books about weight lifting and exercise. I have ordered "Running Anatomy" and "New Rules of Lifting: Supercharged" to start, and already have a book by Barry Sears called "Mastering the Zone" but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on any other nutritional books. Any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The China Study
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I don't have a recommendation, but I'd be wary of adopting any plan that sounds overly complicated. Proper nutrition isn't that difficult.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Try not to get sucked into the commercial pseudoscience arena. If you train regularly 'Power Eating' by Susan Kleiner, Human Kinetics (the most highly respected fitness publisher). More for the masses but the programme is endorsed by many from the mainstream dietetics and medical community 'Smarter Science of Slim' by Jonathan Bailor, Aavia Publishing. He has podcasts on iTunes if you want to get a feel for it.

Also consider a text on nutrient timing, there are a couple of recent ones from Human Kinetics that I have not read but numerous texts I purchased for my last degree from HK were superb. I have the Ivy and Portman book from Basic Health Publishing but it's from 2004, plenty of research will have been published since.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The China Study

That's a great one to avoid!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You should read ANYTHING by Mike Boyle. He is a genius.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    The China Study

^^ This
  • ahamm002
    Options
    Alongside my physical goals that I have in place, I also set goals to read a few books about nutrition and a few books about weight lifting and exercise. I have ordered "Running Anatomy" and "New Rules of Lifting: Supercharged" to start, and already have a book by Barry Sears called "Mastering the Zone" but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on any other nutritional books. Any suggestions are welcome!

Lyle McDonald has a couple good books out there. Also, as insanely ridiculous as it sounds, I actually really like the Samurai Diet book. The main thing is find a way of eating that will last you for the long term. Generally avoid anything that you think will be too restrictive for you.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    The China Study

^^ This

It's vegan propaganda.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The China Study

HAHA good one
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    The China Study

^^ This

It's vegan propaganda.
    OMG really?? LMAO :laugh:
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Michael Pollan's 'In Defense of Food' and "The Omnivore's Dilemma'.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming if anyone has more!

I am really only asking so I can gain knowledge, at this point, I know what is working for me nutritionally and physically so I am going to stick with that. Simply looking to learn some stuff I may not find in other stuff. haha
  • ahamm002
    Options
    The China Study

^^ This

It's vegan propaganda.
    OMG really?? LMAO :laugh:

Yep, that book is just a bunch of epidemiology where the author (a vegan) draws strange conclusions based on his personal biases. The book has actually had some pretty bad consequences since its author was influential enough to be one of the reasons the food pyramid used to be mostly grains. And the book (and its author) is also possibly one of the main reasons that many people still fail in their diets while eating low in protein and high in bread/pasta, thinking that they're eating properly.