I'm ditching the scale

Options
I have been eating healthy for two days, (i know I am just starting) but last week I weighed 235, now when I got on the scale it said 239. I just don't believe that since (yes in just two days) I already feel better, my blood sugar is regulating itself better and I eat all day. Maybe in a few months I will get back on the scale to see, but I am done being disappointed by a stupid number.

Replies

• lindseygriffith27
    lindseygriffith27 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The scale can be our wost enemy sometimes. To me, its how you feel and go by inches lost. I personally have lost only 4lbs but I have lost a toal of 7.5 inches in the past 2 weeks. Screw the scale! I feel better and my clothes are fitting better. Gotta love that!
  • DanaCait
    DanaCait Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you! There have been too many times that I've felt great then got on the scale to be completely disappointed. I think it should be more about how you feel!
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I've tried to give it up but just cant.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're eating healthier is great. That being said, if you're taking in more calories than you burn - whether those calories are "healthy" or not - you'll gain weight.

Just something to consider.
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, It's going to be hard cause every time I have tried to lose weight before but get so disappointed when I don't lose weight fast enough despite feeling better. But I am not going to fall into that trap this time.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and only weigh once a week. Getting on the scale everyday makes you crazy. Then you come on here and whine. Weight loss isn't linear. If you are freaking out all ready I hate to know how you'll react when you are 1/2 way in and hit a plateau. Please...

Eat well, work out, you'll lose the weight. It's not rocket science.
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and only weigh once a week. Getting on the scale everyday makes you crazy. Then you come on here and whine. Weight loss isn't linear. If you are freaking out all ready I hate to know how you'll react when you are 1/2 way in and hit a plateau. Please...

I wasn't whining and I was weighing once a week. But thanks =)
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I toootally agree with this suggestion here, It has saved me lots of anger since i used to weigh EVERY SINGLE DAY... I developed that terrible habit back in middle school. But also remember that your weight fluctuate every single day. So even at the once a wee weigh in don't stress it if you are a few lbs heavier either.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You are eating GREAT! I just looked at your diary. :) Keep eating like that, eat a little bit more of the healthy stuff when you work out, and lift some weights and you are going to love what you see in a few months. I promise.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    You probably just need a good poop :) Weigh in no more than once a week. Your diary looks great! Keep going!!!!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have been eating healthy for two days, (i know I am just starting) but last week I weighed 235, now when I got on the scale it said 239. I just don't believe that since (yes in just two days) I already feel better, my blood sugar is regulating itself better and I eat all day. Maybe in a few months I will get back on the scale to see, but I am done being disappointed by a stupid number.

the scale is a mean witch, and doesn't give you a full picture of your progress.

8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

the picture on the left was about 4 years ago. It says about 195 lbs, but I know for a fact that I weighed 188-199 in that picture. In the picture on the right, I am wearing the SAME shirt, and I am positively 196lbs.

I was just telling the trainer this morning that I am kinda sad that the scale and the tape measure are BOTH lying to me right now. They haven't budged in weeks...but I am getting so much stronger, and eventually I will HAVE to lose weight since I still have 50 pounds to go to hit my goal.
  • missingsocks
    missingsocks Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Someone lacks tact...

You are right to ditch the scale! Keep up the good work :)
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bodies are whacky things. Especially in regarda to women.

I know how frustrating scales can be. I didnt weight myself for years and this is because I didnt want to know how fat I had become. Yes, the number on the scale is just a number but in all honesty, there is no way you can keep track of things if you dont weigh yourself. Just do it once a week. If you gained 4 lbs since last week maybe it was water gain or PMS or some nonsense but if you dont keep weighing yourself the next time you may see a 20lbs increase.
  • Ekboriqua
    Ekboriqua Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That is how it was for me in when I started. One day it was GREAT! next day it was BOOHOO! It would drive me nuts. When I started back in May I was 155, then I had dropped 4 pounds. I worked out like a horse and watched everything I ate. But was not losing anything, gaining yes, losing no. Then I got injured and then came back the 4 I losted, plus some. I started a few time after then stopped. Finally back In November I started yet once again at this time at 165. I started reading all the posting here and asked for help as to why I wasn't losing weight. I was told by a MFP member I needed to look into my BMR, TDEE and thought I am still trying to figure this out (I will be the first to say I'm not the brightest crayon in the box) I managed to get back to my start weight of 155. But as far as the scale goes just make sure you weight yourself each time at the same time. You will weight differently in the morning then the evening. Why I don't know but you do. If you weigh at home go by this scale, the ones at the doctors or your supermarket will be different. But most of all don't let it stop you like it did me for a while. Just read up and figure your BMR and your TDEE and if you figure it out let this dull crayon know so I don't fall off the wagon. I still got about 25 to 30 pounds to go.

Good luck.