Hungry??

Options
I have been using MFP for almost three months now. I have done very well at choosing foods so that I have enough to eat, but I am still under my calorie goal. This past week I feel like I am starving everyday, but if I were to eat every time I felt like eating more I would need to work out an hour and a half more than I do now each day. I thought I might need more water or sleep, but getting more of that did not seem to help. Any thoughts on why I am having the extra hunger pains.

Colleen

Replies

• lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I was doing the 1200 thing and was not hungry I upped my calories and am hungry before meals so I think hunger is a good thing it means my metabolism is working properly again. Open your diary and people can give you more personal advice. We don't know if you are eating enough or what foods would help better.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,120 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, and it's actual hunger - not emotion - then eat!

You don't need to go hungry to lose weight. If you're hungry, it is your body talking to you. Listen. Hunger signals get switched off when you under eat for a period of time. Once you start eating more, your hormones start to balance out again and you will feel hunger. It's a good thing, and something you can listen to with confidence.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have hungry days and I have days where I just can't eat anymore. The hungry days usually are because I haven't drank enough water, or if I skip breakfast, but of course that's just me. I would suggest more water and maybe a handful of nuts, that always fills me up.

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • azrainstorm
    azrainstorm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Alright I changed my diary settings.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Over on sodium and sugar the more of these you have the more you crave more. Do you track protein and water? Try perhaps a larger dinner with more lean protein and veggies or greek yogurt with berries instead of pudding. My 2 cents.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions to start:

1. Swap out the steamers for healthier ones. Go for ones that are much lower in sodium (skip the cheese steamers)
    2. Instead of buying/cooking the pre-packaged meals (WAY high ins odium) make your own. Buy whole wheat pasta, buy fresh chicken, use your own spices (again limiting the salt) and eat FRESH veggies, or the other steamers / frozen veggies)
    3. Limit eating out, and watch soda intake. High in fat/sodium most of them.
    4. Fruits or healthier grains for snacking, instead of the sugary sweets. Yes, it takes some getting used to.
    5. Low/no-fat yogurt w/ fresh fruits

With making some of those changes, I guarantee you will be more filled, less hungry and eating healthier. You want good foods to fill you up until the next meal/snack.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Alright I changed my diary settings.

I'm proud of you!

My main suggestion is to adjust your split 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein. To really see some changes, find out your TDEE and take a deficit from that number. Here is a detailed spreadsheet to help with that: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm (while you're there, join the group :)

I need to do this myself, so would be great to have a buddy to do it with: lift weights.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup I would eat more protein and less prepackaged stuff. Also when you eat sugary snacks like cookies and sweets your body craves more. I still eat treats too but I do notice when I eat them I want more and more. So I try to fill that need with fresh fruit instead!