Am I missing something here?

Options
I see soooo many people saying they're struggling to reach just 1200 cal a day... That they don't know how to eat that much.

i'm confused... Aren't the majority of us here because at some point we were eating WELL over 1200 cal / day? How can it suddenly be impossible?

is this just all talk or is there something I'm missing here? I mean, just my normal LUNCH (2 sandwiches + banana approx 750cal) is what some people are eating all day and saying they can't possibly fit any more in, and I feel it's a good balanced and nutritious lunch, it certainly leaves me full, but it wouldn't leave me full all DAY iykwim.

So, what's up with 'over'eaters suddenly not being able to eat enough?

Replies

• raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    great question, i am curious too!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree - I'm allowed 1600 calories a day - I eat the recommended three balanced meals and two snacks and I sometimes am struggling to keep the 1600 calorie limit. You have to eat balanced meals people!!!! If you are getting in your recommended vegetables, fruit, protein, carbs etc.... there is no way you should be under 1200 calories! To those people I recommend you take a good look at what you are eating and try to balance out your meals because something is not right!
  • Mommabee
    Mommabee Posts: 103
    Options
    I think it's because it's hard to eat "good" and get that many calories. If you are not eating bread (like I am), a sandwich is out, so the calorie count goes way down without it. We eat alot, but not calorie dense food, so it's hard to be able to eat enough to reach our calorie goal because we are full.
    At least that's the way it is with me.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Here was my deal: I was scared. I was scared to eat what I used to, so I overcompensated. I ate low calorie all the time, and small quantities. I would eat boring food because I thought that's what being on a "diet" was all about. It didn't take me long to realize the err of my ways, and now I can barely stay at my 1400 per day. I think it just takes being used to the lifestyle for awhile and experimenting to see what foods are "okay" for you.

I get frustrated seeing the same posts over and over about this, but I realize that I was there once too, and I needed some gentle guidance, which I received. They will get it eventually, and then they will be begging for calories like I do! :laugh:
  • Buzzkitty1
    Buzzkitty1 Posts: 134
    Options
    I don't get it either! I think maybe they're trying to convince themselves they are satisfied on so little. I think the backlash binging/overeating that results from consistent caloric deprivation is perhaps what keeps many people from losing.
    I always have to pipe in that eating has never been a problem for me, and that I have absolutely no problem eating my daily target calories and my exercise calories, too.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, too. I tend to lose my appetite in the summer due to the heat & for whatever reason right now I'm going through a weird "food is gross, I don't want anything" phase, but I still get my calories in!
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    As with all walks of life, mental attitude towards what your doing counts for a heck of a lot, I can fully understand why some people can get deeply into a process like this and honestly believe that they can't manage to eat their calories.

Me, I could eat 1200 in a single sitting and still feel hungry 3 hours later, but we are not all the same. :tongue:
  • amillward27
    Options
    I'm one of "those people" who struggle to eat all my calories a day and I know to some it's hard to explain so I'll do the best that I can. If I wouldn't exercise I wouldn't have a problem almost eating all the calories, but my calories burned during my workouts puts me in extreme deficits. Yes I was (and still at times still am) an overeater. I think this website allows me to see exactly how many calories I am consuming from things and makes me go WOW, it's not worth it! So now i have become more aware and more resistant to eating those foods that used to rack up the calories (ex. chips, dip, starbucks, pizza). I'm also very petite (only 5'1) so maybe my body needs less than what someone else's body would need who is taller? I'm not sure I have a great answer for you, I just wanted to let you know my perspective on it. To make a long story short, my goal is not to lose weight but to be healthy. That is eating healthy, exercising, etc. Yes, I could make my calories by eating chips, or pizza or whatever but that would go against my goal to "healthy". I'm just trying to do the best that I can without compromising my goals.

A typical lunch for you is different than a typical lunch for me. Today I had:

A spinach salad (2 cups of spinach) with grilled chicken, mandarin oranges, carrots, and fat free salad dressing. Also, I had half a yam that didn't not have any salt, butter, or sugar on it. I couldn't even finish my lunch because I was too full, but yet, it was less than 250 calories.
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    For me, it's completely relearning how to eat. No way that ramen, instant mac, and ice cream are good for what I'm dedicating myself to do here. So... if I'm having to learn how to fill myself with healthy calories, I don't get how that's NOT a difficult thing to do.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I also shake my head about this, but I can also see how it can be difficult at first. Healthy foods are less calorie-dense, so they are going to fill our stomachs on fewer calories. I don't shy away from the healthy fats, though, so that makes it easier for me to reach my calorie allowance.

If I were making that spinach salad mentioned above, I would make a dressing out of 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. I'd also toss in a small handful of cashews and voila! More calories without a lot of bulk PLUS a good dose of some healthy fat.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    I am in the same boat as TalonaCat. I have changed the types of foods that I am allowing myself to eat quit drastically - no wheat, no sugars, no processed, very little pre-packaged/pre-made foods. So I am having to try to get in calories that dont consist of things like bread, sandwhich meats, "diet" foods... Its harder to eat 12-1400 calories in a day when you are trying to fill up on steamed veggies and grilled meats! :happy: :laugh:
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times a day. Almost all of my meals are between 200-300 cals. Most are under 100.
    Veggies: I eat 1 cup of veggies with almost every meal. I make a lot of "mock parms" like eggplant, sauce, and cheese. This comes to less than 100 cal single serve. Desert is in 2 cycles veggie first then a bit of fruit.

Soups: I make lots of soups the same thing most are between 75-100 cals.

Protein: For protein I eat a lot of chicken, tofu and I love cheese.

Carbs: My carbs come from the veggies and proteins or a Josephs tortilla. (Mock pizza, a pbj pizza or baked for a salsa dip)

I do not use olive oil or butter. I also do not add any salt.

So lots of days I meet or go over but not by much on fiber and protein, but am under on calories, fat and carbs.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as TalonaCat. I have changed the types of foods that I am allowing myself to eat quit drastically - no wheat, no sugars, no processed, very little pre-packaged/pre-made foods. So I am having to try to get in calories that dont consist of things like bread, sandwhich meats, "diet" foods... Its harder to eat 12-1400 calories in a day when you are trying to fill up on steamed veggies and grilled meats! :happy: :laugh:

I strive to do the same. Olive oil, sesame oil, nuts, seeds are delicious, nutritious, "clean" and calorie dense.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I think it's because so many people misconceive what "healthy" food is. Just because something has fat or calories doesn't make it unhealthy! Peanut butter (natural) is a very healthy food! Is it low in calories? No way.

A dieter's natural inclination is to choose the lowest fat, lowest calorie food available. By doing so, it can be difficult to get to 1200 calories a day. But, by adding in HEALTHY higher calorie foods like nuts and dairy, it's easy to increase your calorie intake. Sometimes it takes a while for people to "get it." :wink: I know it took a while for me to grasp the concept that "low fat" and "low cal" options aren't always the healthiest. Now I try to choose nutrition dense foods which are often not low calorie at all yet they're still a healthier choice than many foods that are lower in calories.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm with the previous ladies - clean, natural, delicious foods, and many are "treats" that are also good for your body (and calorie dense) - olive oil, nuts, nut butters, hummus, mmmm.....

Days when I workout, and I eat 1800 calories, I still have a gnawing in my tummy at night, and while I fight the urge to snack, I could EASILY eat more than my 1800 calories, and never ever through out the day, do I feel the slighest bit "full". Always just satisfied.

Good luck to all
    :flowerforyou:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I have trouble reaching 1100 (my goal is 1000-1100) and thats with 2 snacks and 3 meals...its because if u eat the actual portion serving of healthy foods theyre way lower in cals than pigging out on fried foods and pizza along with chips soda etc....but if u eat a serving of chicken with a serving of veggies and lets say brown rice for example... thats only about 300 cals ....and for lunch i go light and eat a serving of lean meat which is approx 110 in cals and a veggie so thats only 150ish in cals...and breakfast is oatmeal which is only 150cals so for meals thats only 600....where as before id eat 3 meals from mcdonalds in one sitting lol
  • durbanski
    durbanski Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    For me, it's completely relearning how to eat. No way that ramen, instant mac, and ice cream are good for what I'm dedicating myself to do here. So... if I'm having to learn how to fill myself with healthy calories, I don't get how that's NOT a difficult thing to do.

Its extremely difficult to do. Nutritional label reading should be an Olympic sport if you take a closer look. There are so many ways food makers try and pull one over on consumers by up-playing good things but burying the bad.

I have to drive home between a mcdonalds and a burger king 100 ft across from one another. 100 calories of sugar is still 100 calories of sugar. I got big not because i gorged myself everyday but rather because i ate because it was there regardless of the nutritional content.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    This thread is very interesting. I would like to hear more from people like amillward27, who have a hard time.

My wife stopped logging her food, because she found herself severely overcompensating and not eating enough during the day. For some reason she couldn't make the disconnect between logging her food and "dieting."

I agree that when you cut out the "bad for you foods," like chips, pizza, ice cream, etc... it is easy to reduce caloric intake. By the same token, that doesn't mean you can't eat "high calorie" foods and still eat healthy. Long grain rice (like basmati), sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, and whole wheat breads are all examples of where you can get your calories but still eat healthy.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Oh - I also forgot the issue of stoking the metabolism.

On a most basic level, two main things raise our metabolism - eating and exercising. By doing both, through out the day, your metabolism gets a boost. I really like the example that the same person can go into "starvation mode" eating 1000 calories daily without exericse, and lose no weight, OR they could lose a solid 1-2 lbs per week by eating 1600+ calories daily, and exercising.
    :smile:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I can eat the hell out of 1200 calories and more :bigsmile: