A little encouragement would be nice

Options
I haven't really worked out as i should in the past 2 months. Idk whats going on. I don't know if its the weather or what but i just have not been up to exercising. I bought a bike and everything just....nothing.. don't really know how to get out of this slump. Anybody who has been in this i would appreciate any advice on how you pushed yourself out of it. Thanks

Replies

• traveljjo
    traveljjo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Start small... do something that will give you quick workout, but do it every day. The new research says it takes 2 months to really build a habit. Once you have the good feeling of accomplishment, you will be willing to push yourself harder.

I know how you feel!
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    The hardest part of exercising is getting ready.. after that it is all down hill. Get a small goal that will lead to the next and the next. Until you reach the one large goal. Find something you enjoy doing that way it does not feel like work. Good luck
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of exercising is getting ready.. after that it is all down hill. Get a small goal that will lead to the next and the next. Until you reach the one large goal. Find something you enjoy doing that way it does not feel like work. Good luck

I have been running for awhile now..like OCT 2010 but i haven't even been doing that much :\ ... i figure i might start with 20 mins a day on the bike cuz that's better than nothing i guess
  • goodhuh
    Options
    If you just got a bike, break it out! Take a stroll around your neighborhood, and stop by your grocery store and pick up some veggies to grill that night for dinner each day. Then when the weekend comes you have had cardio and less grocery shopping to do. Its an idea, it works for me, When I'm home, I walk to store once a day, even when its cold and snowing I still tell myself I can do it. At the end of the week, I look back and think, I did something good for myself.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You know that feeling you have after you are done working out? Where you feel happy and fulfilled? That is some great encouragement. The hardest part to working out is getting off your *kitten* and doing it.
  • heart_explodes
    heart_explodes Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've always found that getting started is the hardest part!
    Once I force myself into getting into my work out gear and start exercising, it's so easy from there.
    Try and remember how awesome you feel after a good work out
    It's hard I know, but you'll feel that much more accomplished if you start out doing something, even if it's small, then doing nothing at all.
  • telizad
    telizad Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I don't feel like working out, I take out my phone look at my before and after pics and see how far I have come and know that I never want to get back to that person who was hiding behind the extra weight. Plus it feels so good after a workout. Worth it every time.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Find something that you like to do so you are more likely to want to do it. I know exactly how you feel, I was doing great last fall and now it is so much harder to get back at it. You can do it, start small with a goal you can reach.... even if only 15 minutes a day and work up from that.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    like other said. just get started. also, try changing up the routine. incorporate new and fun activities - keep it fresh. maybe sign up for a bootcamp or something unique to what you've done in the past.

a little fresh air and exercise is addicting. you will be back in no time
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    DRAG YOUR *kitten* & YOUR MIND WILL FOLLOW (period) :flowerforyou:
  • katiewcurlz
    Options
    In the US, January is really TOUGH! I live in Wisconsin, and I know what you mean! The days are shorter, it's colder everywhere, regardless of where you live..... life is a Catch 22 in these cold months. Add the holidays' calories (and empty ones at that), lack of sleep and stress, and you have your worst nightmare.

You gotta break the cycle - get out there. Get moving. And keep moving. Your endorphins up and running, and your heart pumping will jump start you out of your funk. :)
  • brcampanella
    Options
    I know how you feel!! Take some vitamin D, I hear in the winter months since its less sunny your body gets less of this and it can make one feel sluggish or even depressed! I feel the same way, especially lately!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    getting back into a routine can be hard.

maybe you can start by forcing yourself to spend 5 minutes at it for the first week to just get back in the habit of dressing and going through the motions.

the next week make it 20 minutes.

i've always heard that it takes 30 days to start a new habit, and habits are created by constant repetition, so just keep doing it until it becomes habit again
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I was the same for about a month and over Xmas!!!! 3 things:

a) Make yourself start NOW don't wait till you 'feel' like it

b) Start off small

c) Have a google for fitspo pics

This week just got my mojo back! I started off with a week of daily walks, 45 mins a day. Now last 3 days MADE myself go to the gym. Didn't feel like it at first but today I'm raring to go! (You know when you go to the gym and really enjoy it and leave feeling ace, and your squatting around the house all night while you cook dinner and put the kettle on coz you can't wait to go again!)

Or how about this pic for motivation? Remember you don't get the butt you want by sitting on it!!!

t887y1.jpg
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    get up and get moving
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    This is why I always get back into the habit in my living room; often in my boy shorts and a tank top. I tell myself 10 minutes a day, then next week I will do 15, but I am always way past that by the end of the first week.

Once I get moving again, there are so many things I *want* to do! We went for a 3 mile walk this weekend after I worked out. Last night, we went to dance classes - neither of us had been in several months.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The cold weather always makes me want to eat and hibernate. I find music really helps energize and motivate me. I have a playlist on my iPod of music that always makes me want to dance or strut and will play it to get myself out of a funk. I'll dance a bit in my apartment or go strutting down the street listening to my music. Also having friends who are up for taking a walk or a hike or a bike ride help because it becomes a social event rather than a chore.
  • scarlet_afire
    Options
    I second what a lot of people have said -- just go. Sometimes it's really hard for me. I will think of EVERY excuse. I've cried before because that's how bad I didn't want to work out...but once you start push for about 5 minutes. After that, your entire mood changes and you get motivated and you feel great afterwards. So just make yourself get through that first 5 minutes--after that, easy peasy.
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was the same for about a month and over Xmas!!!! 3 things:

a) Make yourself start NOW don't wait till you 'feel' like it

b) Start off small

c) Have a google for fitspo pics

This week just got my mojo back! I started off with a week of daily walks, 45 mins a day. Now last 3 days MADE myself go to the gym. Didn't feel like it at first but today I'm raring to go! (You know when you go to the gym and really enjoy it and leave feeling ace, and your squatting around the house all night while you cook dinner and put the kettle on coz you can't wait to go again!)

Or how about this pic for motivation? Remember you don't get the butt you want by sitting on it!!!

t887y1.jpg

~goes on ebay and buys 50lb weights to squat with~