How do you learn to breath?

Options
I am a new runner and I am having the HARDEST time learning how to breath when I run. I have read hundreds of articles and it seems that "tummy breathing" rather than "upper lung breathing" is much better for runners, but no mater what I do I always have to slow down and gulp for air!

Does anyone have any success stories of what you did to breath when you run :-)

Replies

• GreenieBean
    Options
    I was the same way. Now i exhale one count through my mouth and inhale for 2 counts through my nose. I kind of put a rhythm to it. That's what works for me and I don't have to stop to gasp for air.
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try working on your pace? Sounds silly but I learned how to breathe best doing yoga. Now I just do it with out thinking when I'm running.
  • Jellybean1970
    Jellybean1970 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too am having troubles. When I run or speed walk I get a cramp in my right side kind of towards the middle. I believe that I am not breathing deep enough and that I let it out too soon. I am hoping it comes with time. I don' t have this issue on any of the other machines I use but I notice that my breathing is much more consistent on those machines. I am curious of anyone elses answers as this is standing in my way of my goals.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    As you get fitter it breathing comes easier, I don't believe that any breathing technique will help much at first. But do persevere because it does get better and eventually becomes exhilarating.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I breathe deep into my nose and let it out quickly through my mouth - the 2-1 thing. :) Don't breathe in through your mouth or your throat will dry out and that's no fun. :happy:
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try working on your pace? Sounds silly but I learned how to breathe best doing yoga. Now I just do it with out thinking when I'm running.
    As you get fitter it breathing comes easier, I don't believe that any breathing technique will help much at first. But do persevere because it does get better and eventually becomes exhilarating.

I agree with both of these. My yoga / taichi instructors spend a lot of time talking about breathing and relaxing. I apply that to my running. I also apply aikido to running and find that helps immensely (aikido is a form of qi'gong, which is a type of martial art based on controlling internal energy).

Anyway, the point of breathing during running is to get oxygen to your muscles because oxygen is part of the chemical process involved in turning glucose or fat into energy. The more work you demand of your muscles, the more energy your muscles need, so the more oxygen they demand from your lungs and heart (lungs get oxygen to the blood, heart pumps it to the muscles). Fitness is largely the capacity of your lungs and heart to deliver the oxygen. It improves with training. You'll probably find this is what slows you down for a long time - not weakness in the muscles.

Make sure you enjoy what you're doing and the improvements will come faster.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I teach all my students how to "tummy breath" because I'm a music teacher.:happy: Here's what I have them do during class (practice this when you're NOT running, and then try when you ARE running): with one hand on your belly button, inhale for 4 counts, then exhale for 8. As you inhale you should see and feel your hand raising. If you don't, try again and think about pushing down with your lungs. Continue doing this for several minutes, then increase the out number and decrease the in number (for breath contron). For running though, you probably want to switch that to increasing the in number and decreasing the out number. Once you can do this well while sitting, try it while you walk, then while you speed walk and finally while you run.

That would be my thoughts!
  • Mallori
    Mallori Posts: 1
    Options
    It helps to get a rhythm going, if you're having trouble breathing than slow it down till you reach a steady state, remember your lungs have to get used to a higher oxygen consumption, it may take a while for them to adapt; the more regular your running intervals occur, the easier breathing will become..
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    I teach all my students how to "tummy breath" because I'm a music teacher.:happy: Here's what I have them do during class (practice this when you're NOT running, and then try when you ARE running): with one hand on your belly button, inhale for 4 counts, then exhale for 8. As you inhale you should see and feel your hand raising. If you don't, try again and think about pushing down with your lungs. Continue doing this for several minutes, then increase the out number and decrease the in number (for breath contron). For running though, you probably want to switch that to increasing the in number and decreasing the out number. Once you can do this well while sitting, try it while you walk, then while you speed walk and finally while you run.

That would be my thoughts!

I also learned from singing lessons! I also used to teach it to all of my cheerleaders as it helped them to yell more consistently. Keep your shoulders in place and breathe by inflating and deflating your stomach, like a balloon. I find it is easier to do when inhaling through your nose.
  • Rehu18
    Rehu18 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been reading up on this aswell and I have started to use the 3-2 breathing method.
    The way this works is that you inhale for 3 steps and exhale for 2.
    The idea behind this seems to be that each time you initiate an inhale, you are landing on a different foot which helps to avoid stitches.
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I can't wait to try them out and see how I do :-)