treadmills please help

Options
I recently bought a treadmill so that i can still walk even when its pouring rain outside. My question is i know the calorie counter on it isnt correct. Does anyone else use a treadmill and if so how do you track calories? When I enter in the word treadmill under exercise it comes up stair-treadmill ergometer...what is that and how can i trust those calories are correct?

Please Help
Kim

Replies

• Rehu18
    Rehu18 Posts: 4
    Options
    I practically ignore the calories on the treadmill.
    I tend calculate any workouts using the exercise calorie calculators on sites such as this one.
    Simply break your workout down into the times spent on different speeds and add them all individually. :)
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My Polar F6 Heart Rate Monitor. I had to save for a little bit to get it, and it is SO worth the money.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I found with my heart rate moniter I could either double the calories on the treadmill or half the calories as told by mfp. So really what I'm saying is the only way to be accurate is to get a heart rate moniter.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I enter treadmilling (haha) as walking/jogging and enter in the setting I was on as miles per hour.

I also ignore the calories burned on the machine, I tend to just use the MFP settings and they are usually pretty close for me anyway
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F11 HRM, and it seems to be accurate. I've tried using it and comparing the calorie counts it gives with the ones MFP gives me and surprisingly they are pretty consistent. Just log how long you walked at each speed and add them together as suggested by a previous poster. You should be close to the actual amount you burned. But if you want to be even more sure, just buy a HRM. They're definately worth the money!
  • Kimbers81
    Kimbers81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone...your replys were greatly appreciated :bigsmile:
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I use the 'walking' exercise in MFP when I use my treadmill. The calories are on my treadmill are very close to the calories on MFP.