My BMR is: 2,053 calories/day*

Options
miniboy69
miniboy69 Posts: 6 Member
Hi Guys

Your estimated BMR is: 2,053 calories/day*...Should i go as low as 1800 to lose weight. I go to the gym 3 times a week and am doing cardio/ resistance... I really want to lose weight..........

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    You in a coma? if not you can probably eat more than 2053 calories per day and still lose.
  • smithntuck
    smithntuck Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Our church did a weight loss challenge a few years ago with our local hospital. They told us that whatever weight you want to be at, for men, multiply it by 11 and that is the amount of calories you should consume daily. For women it was your goal times 10. Not sure if that helps, but thought it was interesting anyways!
  • miniboy69
    Options
    Coma? Na M8
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Our church did a weight loss challenge a few years ago with our local hospital. They told us that whatever weight you want to be at, for men, multiply it by 11 and that is the amount of calories you should consume daily. For women it was your goal times 10. Not sure if that helps, but thought it was interesting anyways!

That's interesting....any idea how they worked that out?
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    The BMR is the number of calories required just to keep you alive. If you filled out your profile correctly, go with the numbers MFP gives you, they have been working for me.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    BMR = how many calories you burn if you lay in bed and don't move a muscle.

TDEE = BMR * multipler = how many calories you actually burn every day, on average.

Use the TDEE - x calories to determine how much you should eat.

Other people will post links to calculators to use.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

That's interesting....any idea how they worked that out?

Probably a calculator or in their head
  • miniboy69
    Options
    So i am thinking this all wrong? Yes, it seems
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You could probably lose anywhere between 2K and 2500, if not more, depending on your activity. I don't know why you would cut as low as 1800 if you don't have to.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So i am thinking this all wrong? Yes, it seems

Many times the wrong terms are used. They may have meant TDEE and said BMR because they didn't know better.

Which is then scary for the advice that was shared.

Same as the advice to eat at goal weight times a simple multiplier with absolutely no consideration of activity level or amount to lose.

In the ball-park estimates may work when you got a big ball-park, beginning of weight loss journey, but that could quickly shrink to being very non useful and slow things down unnecessarily.

And of course some calcs to figure it out yourself!

The spreadsheet linked in this post will also let you record stats, so you can see progress besides weight. Which if your exercising, will be the case many times.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • miniboy69
    Options
    When putting in all my information of exercising 3 x 30 mins a week and a 2 pound lost it says 1800 cals....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    When putting in all my information of exercising 3 x 30 mins a week and a 2 pound lost it says 1800 cals....

Listen to Haybales, use his calculator. But I just wanted to say that 2lbs a week is really only an appropriate goal for someone who has a lot of fat to lose. My guess is that 2lbs a week may give you results for a little while with 25 lbs to lose, but the results won't be ideal. 1-1.5lb/wk is probably more appropriate.

ETA: And the exercise you put in to MFP when you're setting goals is meaningless, it does not figure in to your #s at all. You are expected to add your exercise as you do it to earn extra calories, the way MFP is designed to be used.
  • miniboy69
    Options
    Thank you Guys
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

The site is confusing on that.
    There is diet goal.
    There is exercise goals.

The 2 are not combined.

Your diet goal has an assumption of no exercise done, and your exercise goal numbers have no bearing on that.

It's very sad they do it that way, because then it creates confusion when you log your exercise and are given more to eat. You think it was already included, it was not.
    Deficit is there if you exercise and eat back the calories or don't exercise. Same deficit.
    But potentially worse if you don't eat them back.

But MFP wants you to see quick weight loss for a bit to get hooked. Active subscribers is required to sell ads, which is how this is paid for after all.