Help - I want a beach body!

Options
Hi FitnessPals,

I am a 44 year old man. (wow how did I get this old so fast!?)

I would like a beach body. Something like a footballer (soccer player).

I have recently shed around 25lbs and currently weigh about 161lbs (eleven and a half stone). I am 5' 9" tall.
I lost this weight by living at a 500 calorie deficit and riding my bike.

Despite being nearly 2 stone lighter I still look a bit portly. I researched 'skinny-fat' and found that this was because I wasn't doing any weight training. So I recently added Stronglifts 5x5 to my routine. However further research has shown me that Stronglifts is really for bulking up and won't be successful when operating at a calorie deficit. I don't want to bulk up.

Okay...if you are still reading...here is the question...

...What is the best way for me to get a beach body?

I want to do the workouts at home - but I don't have any equipment (so P90x is probably out). I really like structure - so a structured program to follow would really keep me motivated.

What do you recommended for me to get a beach body?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    abercrombie workout
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should be more specific in your description of your goals. One man's beach body is another man's freakish hulk. Most likely thoguh you just need to stick with Stronglifts or something similar while eating at maintenance until you stall, and then switch to deficit if there is still fat, or surplus if you want to add muscle.
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've finished Insanity and loved it, no equpiment needed! I am doing the Rush Fit right now but you need dumb bells for that... If your looking for structure def try out insanity :) GL!
  • nyusha
    nyusha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you trying to achieve? You can bulk then cut, that's pretty common.
    Have you tried Starting Strength?
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    If you are skinny fat you probably don't have alot of muscle to begin with, so at some point your going to have to add muscle ( bulk up :ohwell: ). You can continue your diet (caloric deficit ) until you reach a bf % your happy with, and then bulk up. Or, stop dieting, eat like a horse and bulk, then cut. But without muscle under the fat you"ll either end up skinny, or well, fat. Bottom line is your going to have to lift some heavy sh$t if you want that beachbody. And it can be done at home
    For fwiw, I am also a 44 year old male (yeah, the time did fly by!), and also weigh 161. I started lifting about 11 months ago because I too was "skinny fat". I saw a difference after about one month and it felt good. I am now very proud of how I look, and have practically become addicted to lifting. It's an awesome feeling to test yourself and set personal records, and the compliments are nice too!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever got too big from lifting weights.
  • JCTJennings
    JCTJennings Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt replies...to help you visualise how I want to look...

Cosmo2_Louie+Spence.jpg
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    P90X.....
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Just lift weights and control fat and muscle loss and gain with nutrition.
  • JCTJennings
    JCTJennings Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to follow a structured program.

P90x needs a lot of equipment which I just don't have.

What about insanity?
    From the research I have done it doesn't look effective unless you are already in half decent shape.
  • FloyMcCaudie
    Options
    if you want a beach bod, you gotta have equipments brah..
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Eat, lift, sleep, and repeat.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Begin with any lifting program - 5x5, Starting Strength, etc... you won't "bulk up" overnight, keep cardio in there and it will get you to where you want to be - bulking up takes effort.