Using applesauce and splenda in cakes

Options
LilacSnow
LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
i'd like to make the recipe below using applesauce instead of the oil, and a mixture of real sugar and splenda. has anyone tried this for gingerbread cakes, or cakes in general? i don't want the gingerbread cake to taste like apples, and i also don't want to ruin the cake!

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and warm
1 cup (200g) superfine sugar
1 cup light unsulphured molasses (Grandma’s)
2 large eggs, cool room temp, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups (350g) bleached all-purpose flour (unbleached is okay)
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger (4-3 oz knob)( or 2 tsp dried ginger)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger (optional)

Replies

• babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Using applesauce instead of oil won't make the cake taste like applesauce... especially one as spicy as the recipe that you are proposing. I made cupcakes the other day w/ applesauce (it was a boxed mix), and they turned out great... but they sticked to the paper a little more than I would have expected. Next time I'm going to try spraying the cupcake liners w/ cooking spray before adding the batter to see if that helps. So, my recommendation would be to grease & flour the pan well before adding the batter.

I have not used splenda in baking in a long time, but when I did I didn't taste anything different.

Good Luck!
  • ceegee77
    ceegee77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Using applesauce instead of oil works great. As for the splenda, I'm not sure...I have used Truvia in place of sugar for a low carb cheesecake recipe and turned out really good. I suggest you make all recipes and tasting them before you serve it to guests, so you can learn how to "tweak" it for your own taste...
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    thanks! i'll let you know how it turns out.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I've never had much luck with using sweeteners in cakes - applesauce works to a certain extent but you can only replace about half the sugar with it. Cakes need sugar due to the structure that sugar crystals give them. You will get a different texture if you replace the sugar, but I'm not sure what would happen if you used Splenda. Personally I'd rather use the sugar and eat a little less cake.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I make my sons cupcakes with applesauce and honey. I try to avoid the artificial sweetners. Ours have never tasted like apples. Actually I think the apple sauce may even enhance the gingerbread. Best of luck I hope it turns out amazing
  • kperito
    Options
    I agree with your comment. The reason your cupcakes "stick" is because the applesauce has no fat or oil in it, so you do have to be sure to use a non-stick pan or liners (or spray as you did). Her recipe probably won't stick because there is also a 1/2 cup of butter in the recipe. just saying : )
  • codycisco
    Options
    I tried applesauce in a spice cake mix. It was horrible. It tasted bitter and had a apple after taste. The recipe said to just use applesauce instead of the oil and eggs though.