PMDD or PMS?

Options
Hi Ladies. This is one of those posts where I'm not afraid to share a lot, because I need some serious help!!! Since age 12 my PMS has been so bad that I even feel suicidal, and it continues today. I have tracked my periods for years, and notice it happens about 1-2 weeks before my period. I have been on birth control pills, patches, and now the mirena. So far the mirena has helped, but not that much. To top it all off I"m bipolar, diagonsed in 2001, so my PMS is even that much worse.

I have read the symptons of PMDD and I know that it effects a very small percentage of women. I have talked to many gynocologists and doctors.One of them put me on zolaft to take 2 weeks before period, it made me go crazy, becuase I am on bipolar meds, which interacts with each other. Things such as: exercise, eating healthy, and taking vitamins helps big time to alleviate PMS symptons, and it helps. But sometimes it gets bad and I fall into depression, and I can't workout or eat good.

What do you guys recommend? And how do you know if you have PMS or PMDD? Thanks.

Replies

• Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just recently started taking a low dose of an anti-depressent (10mg) to help me get through PMDD. I spoke with my doctor about the symptoms, which generally occurred between 7-10 days before my period. I had been tracking the symptoms and we both agreed that it was a mild case of PMDD. I would get super crazy mood swings....little things would just set me off, and mainly with my poor husband because I would have to keep it together at work. I only take the anti-dep right before my period, to keep me even-keeled. It has helped, no side effects (maybe a little sleepy, but nothing horrible).

Talk to you doctor....definitely worth it!
  • Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok, clearly I did not read your post all the way through. You were on a prescription, perhaps try something else? I can't remember what my prescription is off the top of my head, but I do know that it helped. Perhaps some deep breathing techniques like yoga or connecting with a counsler will help.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Good idea! Thing is I don't have medical insurance right now, but I will. Good idea, a lower anti-depressant, one that doesn't conflict with my other meds! Thanks.
  • JooleySchmooze
    JooleySchmooze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine suffered from severe PMDD. She was/is under doctor's care. She tried different medications for more than 2 years and none with much success. 8 months ago she went on a gluten-free diet in one more attempt to work with it. The results have been startling. Within 2 months she could tell a real difference in her moods - as well as everyone around her. She continues the diet to this day and is off all meds. She also was able to lose over 50 pounds. Might be worth a shot for you.