recipe calculations is not my thang!

Options
So, I decided to fix a pot of chilli tonight at home. Trying to figure out exatly what the nutritional information for a batch of chilli was enough to send me into a tizzy. LOL I'm so bad at math. Doesn't help when the cans have "3.5" servings each but I know, I'm going to get at least 8 servings from a pot. I feel like I need a math degree to do all of that. Makes me want to run straight to the Lean Cuisines where everything is all happy and cute on the label for me to enter right here....

Any suggestions??

Replies

• albertl
    albertl Posts: 30
    Options
    Have you tried adding the individual ingredients to your diary, one at a time? Once you're done, you can save that meal as "Homemade Chili" or whatever you'd like to call it and you can have for future reference anytime.

Hopefully, we'll be able to make creating recipes on our site much easier in the future. Good luck!
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Options
    Toss the entire recipe into a recipe nutrition calculator (analyzer). I sent you a message with my personal favorite but you can find several just by googling the above phrase. Sorry to not post a direct link, but I'm not sure what is and isn't considered a competing site. :(
  • gotmilk155
    gotmilk155 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I almost enjoy adding it all up because I see how many less calories it is by making it at home vs. eating chili at Wendy's or something. I enter all the ingredients in the recipe into a blank meal (ex. Dinner without any other foods at all entered). If I add two cans of beans I enter 7 servings, etc.until all the ingredients are in. It makes your calorie count for the meal look like 2,000 but I'm not done yet. I "remember" the meal as "My (insert name) Chili". I then add "My Chili" to Dinner (from the my meals tab) in an amount like .125 (1/8th). I then just click the red minus button next to all the individual ingredients to clear them off my calorie count. The best part is that when you have leftovers for lunch the next day, everything is already entered.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Sparkpeople has a calculator for this. It makes life A LOT easier! I imput what I used in total amounts and divide by how many servings I'd like to get out of it. Then I just fill it in on this site as a single serving and save it.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'll have to check out that site. I just did it the way gotmilk suggested and that wasn't bad, but I was kinda guessing too. I didn't really want to go back in the trash for cans to compare nutritional values. I'll be more prepared next time! LOL
  • lushpuppy
    lushpuppy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ditto!! I make home made soup with veg barley seeds, lentil and stock and its a nightmare trying to figure it out! My brain fell out my ear and congealed on the floor beside after trying to do the calculations so i just gave up. Home made soup, has to be healthy!