Heavy lifting?

Options
Im 5ft 8.5 tall and currently weigh 152 ish pounds with a goal weight of around 140. Im aiming to get in shape and get rid of the jiggle, is heavy lifting the weigh to go? Im fairly active throughout the day but do no structured exercise. I am looking to start working out 3 times per week. I have seen a lot of sucess stories from those who are 'lifting heavy' so, this may seem like a silly question but what does everybody class as heavy lifting? I mean how heavy is heavy?!

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, lifting is good. Heavy lifting means 85%+ of the highest amount of weight that you can only lift one time.

Check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • PinkStargazerLily
    Options
    I have also looked into "lifting heavy" for women. From what I understand, you always start out small, and work your way up to what is heavy for you. Something "heavy" would be if you could only lift a weight 5-8 times before you can't do it again. Put the weights down, rest for about a minute or two, and do it again, for maybe 3 sets or so. Many women do lots of reps with a light weight, but I have read that way increases endurance, but not muscle mass. So, I am 27 years old, 5' 7" and 138 pounds. I started doing squats with 25 pounds in each hand, and now I can do around 45 in each hand, because that's what feels heavy to me. If you lift a weight and can NOT do 5 reps, they are too heavy and you might injure yourself. This is what I do, anyway. I hope this helps! Happy lifting!