GETTING MIXED REVIEWS ON QUITE A FEW THINGS HELP!

Options
1. IS IT BETTER TO EAT 3 MEALS A DAY WITH NO SNACKS or MANY VERY SMALL MEALS A DAY/SMALL MEALS WITH HEALTHY SNACKS IN BETWEEN?

2. IS RUNNING BETTER FOR YOU THAN WALKING? I WAS TOLD RUNNING IS ACTUALLY NOT THAT GOOD FOR YOU BECAUSE IT STRESSES THE KNEES AND JOINTS AND THAT WALKING IS BETTER...TRUE OR FALSE?

3. IS WORKING OUT EVERYDAY BAD FOR YOU? I WAS INFORMED MY BODY NEEDED REST IN ORDER TO REALLY BUILD MUSCLE...

4. HOW DO YOU MANAGE POTION CONTROL? I AM WORRIED THAT EVEN THOUGH I AM EATING HEALTHY MOST OF THE TIME; I AM STILL EATING TOO MUCH HEALTHY FOOD AND NEED TO CUT BACK MORE.

5. WHAT ARE SOME HEALTHY PACKABLE FOR WORK SNACKS?

6. WHEN IS A GOOD TIME TO EAT DINNER? I WORKOUT AT 6:30 EVERY NIGHT BUT AM NOT SURE WHETHER TO EAT BEFORE OR AFTER....

HELP?

Replies

• gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It is about finding what works for you. I personally like to keep my food intake even throughout the day with 5 or 6 similar sized meals (not always successfull) My body needs rest days from exercise. I do run, but yes, there can be joint issues if you are prone. So much has to be about finding what works for YOUR body
  • jgandy13
    Options
    It is about finding what works for you. I personally like to keep my food intake even throughout the day with 5 or 6 similar sized meals (not always successfull) My body needs rest days from exercise. I do run, but yes, there can be joint issues if you are prone. So much has to be about finding what works for YOUR body

that was so incredibly helpful!! I used to run cross country and track and have weak knees and ankles...I am not sure if that is due to the running or other factors. Because I have gained so much weight I am scared running will hurt them worse because of the pressure my weight will put on them.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Well, here are my two cents on these:

1. Yes, it is better to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day. This keeps you digesting all day, and also helps to hold off the empty tummy feeling.

2. I THINK walking is better for exercise, but the key is to get heart rate up. If you can not get huffing and puffing by walking, then running may be a better option. Do what you enjoy doing.

3 Yes. Your body needs time to repair and recover. It will not do that if you are working out 7 days a week. Even if you are working other body parts.

4. Get a Food Scale and measuring cups. You need to measure and / or weigh your food. Only way to make sure you are not eating too much. You will learn over time and get used to it, but use the scale and measure everything!

5. 100 Calorie packs of Nuts, Fruit (apples, Oranges). I bring Fruit, Low Fat Cheese, Non Fat Yogurt to work every day. And keep Nuts at my desk for emergancy energy.

6. I eat breakfast before I go to the gym, but you might want to eat a snack about an hour before your work out and then eat dinner after you work out.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    1. IS IT BETTER TO EAT 3 MEALS A DAY WITH NO SNACKS or MANY VERY SMALL MEALS A DAY/SMALL MEALS WITH HEALTHY SNACKS IN BETWEEN?

2. IS RUNNING BETTER FOR YOU THAN WALKING? I WAS TOLD RUNNING IS ACTUALLY NOT THAT GOOD FOR YOU BECAUSE IT STRESSES THE KNEES AND JOINTS AND THAT WALKING IS BETTER...TRUE OR FALSE?

3. IS WORKING OUT EVERYDAY BAD FOR YOU? I WAS INFORMED MY BODY NEEDED REST IN ORDER TO REALLY BUILD MUSCLE...

4. HOW DO YOU MANAGE POTION CONTROL? I AM WORRIED THAT EVEN THOUGH I AM EATING HEALTHY MOST OF THE TIME; I AM STILL EATING TOO MUCH HEALTHY FOOD AND NEED TO CUT BACK MORE.

6. WHEN IS A GOOD TIME TO EAT DINNER? I WORKOUT AT 6:30 EVERY NIGHT BUT AM NOT SURE WHETHER TO EAT BEFORE OR AFTER....

HELP?

Sweet lord. You keep getting different answers so you ask the INTERWEBS?!?! haha. Welcome to MFP forums, aka HELL.

Everyone is different, indeed.

many suggest 6 small meals a day. This helps keep hunger at bay. I eat breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, afternoon meal, dinner, and after dinner snack. Works for me. But it's not the end of the world if you don't do that. What works for me might not work for you.

true AND false. What are you after? 20 mins of running will burn more calories than 20 mins of walking. It'll also raise your heart rate, do fantastic cardio, and improve endurance. It is worse for your joints, though. That's why you should also do strength training- strong muscles protect joints. Also HIIT > steady state cardio. You get more out of less time if you do HIIt.

For building muscle- yep. Your body needs time. But you aren't building muscle when you do cardio. You are building muscle when you do strength training. I do cardio on non-lifting days. I am not going to sit on my bum for an entire day.

measuring cups?

anything if you buy some pyrex.

eat something before and something after. whatever fits your schedule. I don't think this is as important as you think it is. Though if you are lifting weights, it can be. I've heard eat carbs before a lift session and eat protein after. You need to fuel your work out, but you also need protein to repair muscle. depends what kinda work out you're doing. If you find yourself hungry in your work out, eat more before.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Mostly personal choice....
    I like eating in betweeen meals, it works for me - Find out what works for you - no difference to your metabolism.
    2.Running is better for cardio, burns more calories than walking, and if you have good shoes and no health issues, not hard on the joints - I know 70 year olds who run regularly..
    3, You need rest days..
    4. Food scale is your friend....Measuring cups too.
    5. Almonds, string cheese, jerky, fruit, cut up veggies, yogurt, greek yogurt, protein bars, protein powder,
    6. Whenever you want to eat dinner - it does not matter...If you have digestive issues, don't eat right before bed - otherwise it's up to you... I personally prefer to work out first, cood down and then eat...If I eat first I might not work out....
  • jgandy13
    Options
    Well, awesomely enough so far, everyone seems to agree on the eating small meals a day. That was one of my biggest concerns! I actually was given a food scale so I will have to put it to good use...I never understood the importance of it before. You all are wonderful! Thank you so much!!!!!
  • jgandy13
    Options
    Mostly personal choice....
    I like eating in betweeen meals, it works for me - Find out what works for you - no difference to your metabolism.
    2.Running is better for cardio, burns more calories than walking, and if you have good shoes and no health issues, not hard on the joints - I know 70 year olds who run regularly..
    3, You need rest days..
    4. Food scale is your friend....Measuring cups too.
    5. Almonds, string cheese, jerky, fruit, cut up veggies, yogurt, greek yogurt, protein bars, protein powder,
    6. Whenever you want to eat dinner - it does not matter...If you have digestive issues, don't eat right before bed - otherwise it's up to you... I personally prefer to work out first, cood down and then eat...If I eat first I might not work out....

I have noticed after a long day of work- if I go home and eat, I am less likely to get off my bum. And I miss running so much...I just didn't want to damage my body. THANK YOU!!!!!
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    1. IS IT BETTER TO EAT 3 MEALS A DAY WITH NO SNACKS or MANY VERY SMALL MEALS A DAY/SMALL MEALS WITH HEALTHY SNACKS IN BETWEEN? better to eat more small meals throughout the day but it is not always possible for people, including myself due to work commiments and childcare issues

2. IS RUNNING BETTER FOR YOU THAN WALKING? I WAS TOLD RUNNING IS ACTUALLY NOT THAT GOOD FOR YOU BECAUSE IT STRESSES THE KNEES AND JOINTS AND THAT WALKING IS BETTER...TRUE OR FALSE? im a runner so im biast and think running rocks lol

3. IS WORKING OUT EVERYDAY BAD FOR YOU? I WAS INFORMED MY BODY NEEDED REST IN ORDER TO REALLY BUILD MUSCLE... body defo needs rest to let ur muscles recoperate and strengthen

4. HOW DO YOU MANAGE POTION CONTROL? I AM WORRIED THAT EVEN THOUGH I AM EATING HEALTHY MOST OF THE TIME; I AM STILL EATING TOO MUCH HEALTHY FOOD AND NEED TO CUT BACK MORE. i measure everything on the digital scales

5. WHAT ARE SOME HEALTHY PACKABLE FOR WORK SNACKS? cheese string, fruit, yoghurts, nuts

6. WHEN IS A GOOD TIME TO EAT DINNER? I WORKOUT AT 6:30 EVERY NIGHT BUT AM NOT SURE WHETHER TO EAT BEFORE OR AFTER.... i always eat after my workout, never before

HELP?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

HELP?
    1. If the amount of calories are the same, it makes no difference (for weight loss) how often you eat a day, or how big your meals are. You need to find a way that suits you. Some people prefer to eat many small meals through the day, others prefer 3 square meals, others like to eat only one big meal a day, with no snacks. Some people like to have a cut-off time after which they do not eat, others eat right up to bed time. It depends on individual health needs (eg. diabetes), lifestyle and personal preference. Personally, I either have a small breakfast, small lunch, large dinner and after-dinner snacks, or the same, but skipping breakfast. Other people have great success with Intermittent Fasting, so no, you definitely don't need to have lots of small meals, but if that suits you, then go for it!

2. Running is great for you. It can be hard on your joints, especially if you have existing problems, but proper running shoes, and using the proper form will help you to avoid injuries.

3. Rest days are good for your body, I'd try to have at least one a week. In particular, if you're weight training and trying to build muscle, it's best not to work the same muscle groups on two consecutive days. Resting gives your muscles a chance to repair and grow. Bear in mind if you're eating at a deficit to lose weight, you won't be building much (if any) muscle. Rest days are still important though.

4. I manage portion control mostly just through tracking my calories and macronutrients on MFP. Seeing how many calories I have left for the day helps me determine how much to eat. Same goes for macronutrients. I make choices based on what else I've eaten (or plan to eat) for the day. You're only eating too much healthy food if it's causing you to exceed your goals. There is no one right amount of food to eat, it depends on your individual statistics, and whether you're trying to gain, lose or maintain.

6. Whatever time suits you. I usually eat my largest meal from 7 pm or later. I usually work out earlier, but if I worked out at 6.3, I'd still eat after that. Experiment a bit to find what works for you.