Sodium-does it matter?

Options
Hi! So what I'm wondering about it sodium. Whats the deal with sodium. I think maybe it makes you retain water something like that, is that why we are supposed to keep track of it? I'm wondering because I LOVE pickles! Seriously, I love them. I eat tons of pickles because I love them and because there's about 5 calories in a giant pickle. There's also about 2 days worth of sodium in a giant pickle. Do I need to be concerned about going over on sodium every day, will it hinder my weight loss goals?

Replies

• jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience sodium takes away my definition. It also makes me feel "heavy" but the effects are usually the following day. High sodium intake also adds pounds when I weigh myself. Best thing to do is track your sodium and keep it low for about 4 or 5 days and see what difference it makes.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi! So what I'm wondering about it sodium. Whats the deal with sodium. I think maybe it makes you retain water something like that, is that why we are supposed to keep track of it? I'm wondering because I LOVE pickles! Seriously, I love them. I eat tons of pickles because I love them and because there's about 5 calories in a giant pickle. There's also about 2 days worth of sodium in a giant pickle. Do I need to be concerned about going over on sodium every day, will it hinder my weight loss goals?
    I love pickles and olives. I used to eat tons...then I got hypertension.
    Now I still love pickles but I can't eat pickles. Pickles.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Sodium is challenging. A lot of low cal stuff is high sodium- pickles, olives (really good greek or spanish olives), turkey lunch meat, etc. If there is a micro i'm going to go over it's often sodium.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Not really. You'll retain water, but I wouldn't worry about it. The other possible concern is blood pressure. Since mine is always low, I don't care if I take in a little extra. Just drink water and you'll be fine.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium in your system causes your body to retain (hold onto) water. This puts an extra burden on your heart and blood vessels. In some people, this may lead to or raise high blood pressure. Having less sodium in your diet may help you lower or avoid high blood pressure. People with high blood pressure are more likely to develop heart disease or have a stroke.
  • astrummortis
    astrummortis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to freak about sodium, but I make so much of my own food at home now I just don't feel the urge to worry. I'm more concerned about my macronutrients than my sodium :)
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Personally for me it makes me feel lethargic. I've had too much sodium the past few days and I feel ick today. :sick:
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a cruise.

Before hand I was feeling like a million bucks. After 1 week of eating at the buffet (which was delish) I came home to a soft and bloated belly, +4lbs . On day 2 of 'detox' and 2lbs down.

Sodium in excess is not a good thing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure (hypertension), so I have to watch my sodium intake and I make sure I drink tons of water, especially if I'm going over. I have good days and bad; sodium is pretty hard to avoid, even if you're eating healthy...it's in practicaly everything.

I don't buy lunch meat for my sandwhiches anymore, I buy whole Turkey breasts, pork roasts, chickens and beef roasts and I roast those and slice them up for sandwhich meat and meat for my salads. I buy low sodium or now sodium canned items and jarred sauces, etc and try to limit their use. Still, it's pretty rough going...I love my sandwhiches at lunch and am totally into the 21 whole grains bread I found, but the bread is loaded with sodium. My worst days are usually on a Sat or Sun when I have my "cooked" breakfast and I always have a couple slices of turkey bacon with it.

If you're overweight and also eat a high sodium diet, you're at a much higher risk for hypertension. I've lost 10 pounds in the last 7-8 weeks since I started my healthy eating diet and exercise and my blood pressure is definitely trending down (started at 162/115 and now at 130/89..part of that is the meds, but they only got me down to 136/95)...still high, but trending down. I'm really hoping that once I achieve my healthy weight goal that I can get off my meds...not holding my breath, but definitely hoping.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium in your system causes your body to retain (hold onto) water. This puts an extra burden on your heart and blood vessels. In some people, this may lead to or raise high blood pressure. Having less sodium in your diet may help you lower or avoid high blood pressure. People with high blood pressure are more likely to develop heart disease or have a stroke.

And kidney disease.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I heard as long as you remain consistent you should be fine, and obviously lower is better, but if you love yours salt like I do and you don't have any health issues relating to this, just stay consistent.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    to much of anythings not good just keep it under control but dont freak out over sodium
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    Besides effecting your blood pressure and kidneys in a negative way it doesn't do too much. But since you need your heart and kidneys you should probably keep within the healthy range.....
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    to much of anythings not good just keep it under control but dont freak out over sodium

This. (unless you have hypertension)

And the water retention is a balance of the sodium/potassium ratio so you could always up your potassium.

edit: higher sodium doesn't mean you will get hypertension but if you do then it is advised to lower it (and increase potassium).

Sodium is a required micronutrient and having too little is not good either.