protein and fiber...?

Options
Is it a bad thing to go over your protein and fiber "allowances"...? I didn't set my allowances -- MFP automatically did that for me, but I usually always go over my fiber allowance, and sometimes I go over my protein allowance as well.

Thoughts on that?

Replies

• SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nope, not bad to go over on fiber. It may make you gassy. That's all. The MFP minimum is probably too low anyway.

I think with extra protein you are OK as long as you drink water.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    No. Consider those to be minimums, not maximums. You can manually adjust your Macros, FIber, Sodium, etc. to your own specs.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Eating fiber and protein is awesome. Keep doing that. Going over those numbers means you are winning.

Going over your sugars and calories is less awesome.

NOW YOU KNOW.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    IMO they estimate the protein way too low. Fiber you should probably be around 22g if you are eating 1600 calories.
  • KerriNaomi
    KerriNaomi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    not at all. please let me know how you do it! i am having trouble meeting my protein and fiber goals. i'm supposed to be on a low carb, high fiber diet to avoid gestational diabetes (per doctor's orders) but i cant seem to reach my goals!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    They are set way too low here you need to go over. You can change then in goal settings.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    my protein goal on here was WAY too low, my nutrition lady said i need to get around 120 to 130 per day (and man do i have trouble reaching that!!) so i changed mine manually on here now
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    As long as your calorie count is good I would be glad I exceeded it!!! MFP puts it way too low!
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    not at all. please let me know how you do it! i am having trouble meeting my protein and fiber goals. i'm supposed to be on a low carb, high fiber diet to avoid gestational diabetes (per doctor's orders) but i cant seem to reach my goals!

I found that by eating veggies with every meal and fruit with every snack I met my fibre needs without a problem. Although I guess that is high-carb (but they're "good carbs"!!). I'm not really sure how you'd get fibre without carbs, personally, unless you take suplements...
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've never tracked my fiber too faithfully, but I did reset my protein to around 140g/day. MFP's protein number was bologna for me.
  • acalta
    acalta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my fiber was 55g. I accomplished this through a Thomas whole wheat high fiber English muffin (100 cal), 4 la tortilla factory tortillas (200 cal), lots of veggies, black beans and an orange.

I love fiber!

Just make sure to drink plenty of water or you'll stop up.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    over on both you are gonna fart all day lol
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options

ROFL...speaking from experience, right?
  • djames92
    Options

pretty much haha
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How do manage to go over? I can't seem to get enough of either.
  • bgelliott
    Options

pretty much haha

I'm totally with ya
  • bgelliott
    Options

It's not that difficult to do. I'm not sure how people who track it stay so far under at times. I eat protein with every meal and get my fiber from veggies and a fiber drink each day. Puts me way over sometimes.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

Foods are listed above. Fiber breads, beans and veggies.
  • djames92
    Options

It's not that difficult to do. I'm not sure how people who track it stay so far under at times. I eat protein with every meal and get my fiber from veggies and a fiber drink each day. Puts me way over sometimes.
    this^ eggs are a good way to start the day with some protein! delicious to
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I eat a high protein diet, and try really hard to get to my fiber limit every day. so yes it is okay , I want to keep what muscle I have earned , protein will do that and keep's you fuller for longer....