advice needed from weight lifters

Options
Is it normal for muscles to be more defined on one side of the body, than the other? And, if so can it be fixed by more reps and heavier weight on the smaller, less defined side?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    My right arm is twice as big as my left
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    my left ____ is lower, but I hear that's normal.
  • n0ob
    Options
    In all seriousness my right leg (calf and quads) is bigger, and my left arm is bigger.

I'm right handed too...never understood why my left arm is stronger...don't make no sense, but it is.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

Totally normal. Mine too.

I have noticibly more coordination and strength in my right arm, but that's all that I've noticed. Nothing physical.
  • rodriguezbrian
    Options
    people have always given me the advice that if one is bigger than the other that you shouldnt really try any extra lifting on that side of your body. ive heard you should focus and think about that arm more while training and the arm should come more into the lift. i hope that helps its helped me a ton to even out
  • rodriguezbrian
    Options
    maybe because that arm is not as coordinated therefore has to work harder to lift the weight. the other arm is more coordinated so works less hard to stabilize. thats the only thing i can think of
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    My right arm is twice as big as my left

crap I wasted post 2000 on this
  • ctbloom
    Options
    It's totally normal. Don't even worry about it. I worked on a farm so my right arm has a larger bicep and my left, a larger tricep. I'd say do exercises that use both biceps or both triceps at the same time and it should even things out. it did for me, atleast.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I try to work with dumbbell more because my right is weaker and smaller.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    Is it normal for muscles to be more defined on one side of the body, than the other? And, if so can it be fixed by more reps and heavier weight on the smaller, less defined side?

Don't change anything like doing more reps on one side than the other... your body takes time to even itself out when you're within the first 1-3 years of weightlifting. All the things you do better on one side than the other (like kicking a ball, lifting things up, carrying groceries, etc.) plays a big role in it. It's normal. Even after weight lifting for 10+ years my right arm is still slightly smaller than my left.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options

OH THANK THE LORD! **lets out huge sigh of relief**
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My right forearm is bigger then my left o wait...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

So is mine!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness my right leg (calf and quads) is bigger, and my left arm is bigger.

I'm right handed too...never understood why my left arm is stronger...don't make no sense, but it is.

Do you have kids? My left arm is stronger because I've been carrying a kid with it for 6+ years so that I can have my right arm free to do things.
  • n0ob
    Options
    I do carry my son in my left...hmm, maybe on oversight on my part.
  • cetim
    cetim Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I do use one side more than the other at work. I will keep on doing my workout and concentrate on lifting heavier so i get stronger.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm ambidextrous and can do everything with both hands, arms and legs but for some reason my right upper arm looks more defined than my upper left arm.

EDIT: I have to bend my arms like the one showing in my profile pic just to see the definition on my left upper arm, unlike my right upper arm.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Think by nature one side of the body is bigger than the other. Definitely don't change your workout by lifting heavier on that side, but instead maybe do more dumbbell and hammer strength machine exercises till u feel more comfortable.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    What I try to do to even out side dominance a bit is include some exercises that isolate each side, like dumbbell curls and whatnot, and I'll start with the weaker side, do what I can there, and use that as my limit for the other side.