what is a good gf bread?

Options
i'm not sure where to start!!
i've checked out different brands of bread and they all have no nutrition and all carbs..
i want a brand w/ a good amount of protein and fiber in it (and maybe lighter in cals)

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Protein has the same number of calories per gram as carbs, so replacing one with the other won't bring the calorie count down. Fibre will a little, as will paying for extra water or air. Not sure what you mean by no nutrition, whole wheat is a reasonable source of minerals and fibre and carbohydrates are macronutrients.
  • PaperThinLips
    PaperThinLips Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    gf= gluten free.
    i'm allergic to wheat.
  • smdevos
    smdevos Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Best tasting gluten free bread I've found is Udi's. They make a white version and a whole grain. I still try to eat it only occasionally, since it doesn't have much redeeming nutritional value. At least it doesn't bother the tummy though :)
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I like Udi's brand. You are going to find that most GF breads are not the same as far as nutrients are concerned. I just don't eat bread as much and go for other whole grains instead throughout the day, like oats and quinoa. GF bread is usually also pretty expensive.
  • bananapancakebella
    Options
    Doesn't exist.

Eat quinoa and brown rice. Eating substitute gluten products made me seriously backed up (sorry, TMI), and nearly constantly hungry because none of them have fiber or protein, as you've noticed.

See packaged gf products as a treat food. They are actually, because they're basically overprocessed junk with similar nutritional value to white bread. Focus instead on eating whole gf grains.

I know it sucks.
    The best brand I tried was Udi's, but seriously, no more substitute products for me.
  • PaperThinLips
    PaperThinLips Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Doesn't exist.

Eat quinoa and brown rice. Eating substitute gluten products made me seriously backed up (sorry, TMI), and nearly constantly hungry because none of them have fiber or protein, as you've noticed.

See packaged gf products as a treat food. They are actually, because they're basically overprocessed junk with similar nutritional value to white bread. Focus instead on eating whole gf grains.

I know it sucks.
    The best brand I tried was Udi's, but seriously, no more substitute products for me.

THANK YOU!!
    that's the answer i was seeking n____n'
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I gave up. I just use corn tortillas for everything.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Maybe try one of these......my friends like them both.

http://www.julianbakery.com/paleo-bread/?gclid=CMX74PzKk7QCFYVFMgod_AIAeg
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I tried the coconut bread from Julian bakery and I found it less like bread and more like "bread cake" - like zucchini bread or date nut bread. First, although I liked the taste (love coconut!), the bread was dry and too dense to be a substitute for sandwich bread. Also, the pictures on their website make it look much larger than it is. The calorie count is 40 per slice and each slice is 43g (about half as thick as off-the-grocery-store-shelf breads). The price is $7.99 per loaf and it took 3 weeks before they even shipped it and since I'm on the east coast and they're in California, it took another 5 days to get to me...

For me, this is not the answer to replace sandwich bread and I would rather skip the bread.

Good luck in your journey.
  • francejc
    francejc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My daughter LOVES the Schar breads. The rolls she has every day for lunch and the ciabatta bread is great. There are sub rolls. She has toast with peanut butter using the white bread. She was not a fan of Udi's. Schar's pasta is pretty good, although the Market Pantry (Target) one is the best we have found so far. Hope this helps.