Eating below TDEE instead of MFP calories

Options
After getting off to a great start, I've noticed recently that my weight loss has been slowing down. Up until now I have been using the calorie amount set by MFP (1340 for 1.5lbs/week loss). Before I get to the dreaded plateau stage, I decided to see if there was anything I could do to get it back on track. I came a cross a few interesting posts and articles about eating at a percentage below TDEE instead of the amount allocated by MFP.

So I calculated my TDEE and BMR (using the Harris Benedict Equation) and found that not only have I been eating well below my TDEE (2116 - set at sedentary), but also below my BMR (1764). I was a bit shocked by this as eating below BMR is generally considered a bad idea. e.g. From Helloitsdan's post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12:
The only people who should be eating below BMR are folks who have had Gastric Bypass, 500-700 cals/day, or people who are morbidly obese and only for an extremely short time and only prescribed by a Certified Nutritionist/Dietician.
Most people who eat at or below BMR will lose weight for a short time.
Their bodies are no longer getting energy from food and so their bodies turn to fat stores for energy.
Problem is after extended periods of time, their bodies will adapt to the new energy and attempt to balance things out.
This isnt starvation response, we've beaten that horse on the forums over and over, but it is a metabolic slow down.

This is totally the opposite of what I want - I don't want my metabolism to slow down at all! So I've been thinking of eating 25% below my TDEE instead, which would give me 1587 cals/day. Although this figure is still under my BMR :huh:

Have any of you had success switching to eating at a % below TDEE instead of the calorie amount allocated by MFP?

Replies

• JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues. I switched to TDEE - 20% and the weight started coming off again. However, it's really still just an estimate and I seem to be doing better about half-way in between MFP's recommendation and TDEE-20%.
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've looked into the same thing....and accoring to that theory, I am like you....eating well below my TDEE and my BMR...which apparently is NOT GOOD.
    I upped my calories here on MFP...but I am still sketchy about the whole thing. I have read you will see initial weight gain due to the fact your body is still storing the food, but once it realizes this amount of food will be consistant...the weight loss will start to kick in.
    It is a VERY hard concept for me to wrap my head around....eat more=weigh less.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The TDEE method allows for a smaller calorie deficit and a more sustainable weight loss effort, definitely helps with getting out of the dieting mindset...easier to maintain on for sure
  • buffykaz
    buffykaz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is a VERY hard concept for me to wrap my head around....eat more=weigh less.

I know! This does my head in too :laugh:

I think I will slowly work my way up from the MFP amount to the % below TDEE amount in the hope that I won't gain back too much.