Need motivation... Things just aren't working

Options
Over the summer for a whole month, I walked 2 miles 5 times a week, exercised 5 times a week for about 45 minutes, and lost nothing. I even ate healthy! Now I'm starting to gain again so I came here to start again. I have less time because of a busy schedule, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for staying focused. Also, how can I tell how many calories I burn in an exercise? I don't have any fancy equipment type stuff to tell me so i'm in a ditch here... any advice?

Replies

• swfloridagal
    Options
    My fitness pal will assign a calorie burn based on what you select. After entering my food for the day, I click on exercise and enter my exercise. The number or calories burned is automatically calculated based on the time and type of exercise you select. I have chronic debilitating pain and cannot exercise on a regular basis. I lost all 40 pounds mostly from choosing foods within my calorie goal total. If I could do it, you can too!

Good luck!

Janice in FL
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food and track every bite. Everything, no exceptions.
  • Don_Quix
    Don_Quix Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    learn
  • puggzley6
    Options
    Thank you! I have trouble counting how many calories I burn though since I dont have any machines or mechanisms to do so :\ But tracking my food is a good idea, I haven't done that so Ill start looking at labels! Thank you for the advice! :smile:
  • kaedaza
    kaedaza Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! My name is Samantha I currently weight 240 my goal weight is 150. I always struggle with weight loss and staying motivated...its SO frustrating!! So I have decided to start an 8 week challenge it will start on December 17th and continue until February 11th. The Winner is based on who receives the most points and has lost the most percentage weight. If you have any questions just let me know =]
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I will give you some advice that I have learned so far. You sound like you are in the position I used to be in. You eat how you want, you exercise every day but it is light exercise. If you really want to lose the pounds you need to do exercise that is more strenuous which will help reduce any cravings if you have any. It'll also boost your metabolism tenfold. You also need to reduce the amount you eat daily. I don't snack on anything anymore unless i'm ravenous. If I do want a snack I will eat some fruit usually.

Hope some of this info helps. I used to do loads of walking but it isn't enough, if you only walk for 45 mins a day rather than 3 hours a day it's not gonna help. Strenuous exercise is better because it allows you to burn alot in a short time frame. If you're a very busy person it's definitely the way to go.
  • mcw1976
    mcw1976 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem in the beginning was underestimating my food calories.

What I thought was a cup of cereal was actually 2 cups.

I spent 1 week measuring everything I ate early this year. It helped me visualize my portion sizes and accurately log my intake calories.

Underestimating intake calories is the easiest way to kill your weight loss.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem in the beginning was underestimating my food calories.

What I thought was a cup of cereal was actually 2 cups.

I spent 1 week measuring everything I ate early this year. It helped me visualize my portion sizes and accurately log my intake calories.

Underestimating intake calories is the easiest way to kill your weight loss.
    I am at the point where I weigh my food in grams. I know it is not the american way. But, it is super accurate. It took my years to get to the place where I realized every calorie mattered. Working out hard (which I do daily) is great for heart health and muscle growth (which will eventually allow you to eat a little more). But, most of my weight loss happens on the end of my fork.