fitbit integration yes or no?

Options
I have asked Santa for a fitbit one for Christmas. I have seen a few posts indicating that the integration with mfp is confusing and not worth the effort. I would like those who have fitbits to weigh in on this issue.

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    bump I just ordered one and would like to hear some opinions.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I think it's great. I can't understand the problem!!
  • msb803
    msb803 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One! I haven't noticed any problems with the its integration with MFP.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    MFP has fixed the issue. You can now elect to turn on the 'negative adjustments'. By default, it is turned off (so the FitBit will only add to your calorie allotment for the day, not take away from it). I have linked my up again and am happy with it.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Mine is synched and I allow it to make negative calorie adjustments for me. My reasoning is this: My profile both here and on fitbit are set with the assumption that I will burn on average, a certain number of calories each day (let's say that number is 1800.) If I get up and move and my fitbit notices that I've been moving and figures out I've burned 1900 calories, I get those bonus extra cals to eat if I want to. However, if I've been a complete slug and just lied on the couch all day watching TV, the fitbit notices that, too, and says, "Hey, you're on track to only burn 1700 cals today!", so it'll subtract 100 cals from my usual target of 1800, thus prompting me to eat a little less on the days I'm being lazy. It updates throughout the day, so if you know after work, for example, you're going to hit the gym, you may see a negative adjustment until after you've hit the gym.

It's working for me.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes :smile:
  • tenaheff
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I read the thread about the fix to the adjustments. I am going to go with the default of NO negative adjustments. I have my profile set to sendentary and am alloted 1200 calories a day plus exercise. This works for me and I don't want it to change.

Tena
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my Fitbit! I would be lost without it...
  • ChristieDF
    ChristieDF Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit for a week and I just love it. I so agree with hdsqrl.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I read the thread about the fix to the adjustments. I am going to go with the default of NO negative adjustments. I have my profile set to sendentary and am alloted 1200 calories a day plus exercise. This works for me and I don't want it to change.

Tena

That's how I am too. I think it's a more useful feature if you're set to something other than sedentary. My other issue with the negative adjustments is that I've had my BMR tested and it's about 250 calories a day higher than FitBit estimates. So, when it takes calories away from my goal, it's putting me FAR too low because it was already estimating me too low.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Geez I'm gone one week an they finally fix Fibit! YAY! Now I will begin to wear mine again :) This seriously just made my morning! :D
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

Tena

That's how I am too. I think it's a more useful feature if you're set to something other than sedentary. My other issue with the negative adjustments is that I've had my BMR tested and it's about 250 calories a day higher than FitBit estimates. So, when it takes calories away from my goal, it's putting me FAR too low because it was already estimating me too low.

How dod you get your BMR tested?
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a fit bit and absolutey love it. I did link it with MFP. Just remember to only log your food on MFP. I don't log exercise on MFP and let my fitbit adjust my calories based on my activity for the day whether I exercised or not.

There is a fitbit forum here on MFP. Read through some of it if you have problems getting set up when you get yours!
  • c53204
    c53204 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had one for a day (to set it up), it was then taken and wrapped by Santa!

I use the FitBit website as my 'centre' for things fitness. I use MFP for entering foods - as it's UK food database is good. The foods are sent to FitBit.

I have an App that works well with FitBit for my Runs, Cycles and other non moving exercises.

The system works well using FiBit as the 'Centre'. Tried it the other way round - using MFP as my 'centre' but too many issues syncing too it - with various apps/FitBit.