Calorie Burn Monitor/Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hello All,

I'm looking for a device I can use while I'm going for walks, taking a cardio workout class, or when I'm home doing jumping jacks/jumping rope that can monitor the calories I've burn. I've notice a trend in Heart Rate Monitor, but I'm more interested in something that I can accurately know how many calories I've burned.

Any Suggestions of something/brand...Please advise thanks

Replies

• SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm actually wonder the same exact thing. A guy at work told me this doesn't exist but I know I have heard otherwise. :smile:
  • beckap325
    beckap325 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The heart rate monitor is as close as you can get to what you're looking for. There are other machines and methods used to calculate exact/accurate caloric expenditure, such as accelerometers and doubly-labeled water. These are only found in laboratories that do exercise research and are not available for general use. The only reason I know this is because I worked in one of these exercise science labs at college! I use a Polar watch which came with a heart rate monitor. You can customize the settings on the watch to fit your height/weight/activity level, and it's cute to wear to boot! Mine was a little over $100 from Amazon. I know it's a bit pricey but I believe there are cheaper ones out there. Good luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Google Polar FT4. This is the type of device you need. The name is heart rate monitor but it gives you your calorie burn and because it has a chest strap the accuracy is very good. You can monitor your heart rate as you're working out to see if you're putting in enough effort to get your heart rate up where it needs to be or push a button and see how many calories you've burned. They're made for doing exercise that gets your heart rate elevated like brisk walking, running, cycling, aerobics, etc. They don't work well for weight lifting and you can't wear it all the time because the math that they use is meant for an elevated heart rate.
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Google Polar FT4. This is the type of device you need.

I have actually heard of this one and for the life of me couldn't remember the name of it! Thx
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love my heart rate monitor! :love: It does give calories burned based on my age, gender, height and heart rate. From the research I've done, they are about as accurate as you can get, so I'm not sure why you don't want to consider one.

I've also heard good things about Fitbit. I don't have one, so I can't tell you much about it, but I know I've seen people around who use it and love it. I don't see how it could be quite as accurate as a HRM though, since I think it calculates based on steps taken. I may be wrong. Anybody know? I think Bodybug is sort of a combination of the two, if I understand it correctly. But I don't know much about them and I think they are quite expensive and have a monthly fee, if I recall correctly.

But those are two things you could research if you truly don't want a HRM.
  • LaTanya646
    LaTanya646 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mizzie, what brand heart rate monitor do you have?
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Polar. I think it's the FT7, if I remember right.
  • FightingforFit82
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 HRM and LOVE IT
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 , Been using it a little over a month ,cool little device .
  • SMN1392
    SMN1392 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar ft4 - best thing I have ever purchased.