Holiday Eating Habits..

So for the last week or so, I have been eating pretty poorly and have only exercised once. Holiday baking and other goodies are showing up, and Im having zero willpower. Patients at my work are bringing in chocolates daily, employees at my boyfriends work sent home baking to us....too much temptation. I have decided that I am just going to try to maintain till the New Year. My boyfriends birthday is New Years Day so there will be food then too!! I am going to play as much tennis as I can, and hopefully get some gym time in too. I believe its the rest of the year that we need to be aware of our habits, so I plan to enjoy and indulge and work extra hard afterwards to work off the few pounds I may gain.

What are your food/fitness plans for the holidays?

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    MODERATION
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    i always find it works best for me to change my goal to maintain instead of lose, so i do not get my hopes up.
  • Holidays are awful :'( I gained so much weight over Thanksgiving... but I think what's most important is NOT GIVING UP. Even if you do gain a few pounds or your progress slows down a bit, DO NOT GIVE UP. Winters are tough
  • pg3ibew
    There are 3/4/5 holidays in a 40 day period. You don't have to OVER indulge for all 40 days.

Enjoy the ACTUAL Holiday and work you *kitten* off the other 35 days.
  • cupcakegirl81
    cupcakegirl81 Posts: 2,033 Member
    MODERATION

I agree completely! I can't say no at Christmas, but I don't need to eat everything I see, and lots of it. I'm still watching calories. If I have lots left over for the day, I'll have a cookie.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    and also, just because there is tons of food does not mean you have to eat it all. try a little bit of everything, in moderation. have a plate for dinner with balanced choices, and one piece of dessert. not too difficult.
  • pg3ibew
    and also, just because there is tons of food does not mean you have to eat it all. try a little bit of everything, in moderation. have a plate for dinner with balanced choices, and one piece of dessert. not too difficult.

This
  • pg3ibew
    MODERATION

I agree completely! I can't say no at Christmas, but I don't need to eat everything I see, and lots of it. I'm still watching calories. If I have lots left over for the day, I'll have a cookie.

And this
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    i always find it works best for me to change my goal to maintain instead of lose, so i do not get my hopes up.

^^^PERFECT!^^^

I have been going really strong for six months and we're visiting family for the holidays and I know a lot of eating will be involved. I decided to continue to workout normally but I am eating to maintain during December. Not looking to lose but avoiding the gain.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Aside from the actual holidays, I've been traveling a lot for the months of November and December. My goal is to maintain until after New Years. So far, so good!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Just because its there doesn't mean I have to eat it. There's also a McDonalds on every corner but I don't have to stop at every one I see. You don't HAVE to do anything. Self control.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member
    moderation!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    One must be careful of a couple of things; not sure of its validity but I read recently that the average American gains 10 lbs during the holiday season. That is a lot of ground to re-gain. Also, it is important to not establish a new lifestyle during this time (a lifestyle going in the WRONG direction, that is)... I think MODERATION is key. Yes, it is expected that we partake in certain indulgences during this season but we do not have to OVERDO it. Balance in all things. Best wishes in your success during this season of temptation.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    I am still keeping up with my workouts and focusing on maintaining my weight until after the holidays are over. I'm continuing to log everything, but I am not being as strict with my macros as I normally am. This is a stressful time of year for most people (me included), so instead of putting extra pressure on myself I am just taking it one day at a time. So far, so good.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    One must be careful of a couple of things; not sure of its validity but I read recently that the average American gains 10 lbs during the holiday season. That is a lot of ground to re-gain. Also, it is important to not establish a new lifestyle during this time (a lifestyle going in the WRONG direction, that is)... I think MODERATION is key. Yes, it is expected that we partake in certain indulgences during this season but we do not have to OVERDO it. Balance in all things. Best wishes in your success during this season of temptation.

Yes, agreed! There is no reason to undo all of the hard work and good habits we have established in 2012. :smile:
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    how to eat over the holidays??

EAT ALL THE FOOD!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    my plan is to eat a lot and lift like an animal
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    To gain 10lbs you would have to consume 35,000 calories. That's not taking into account your body using those calories. I will eat what I want, when I want.

Wait, I already do that.
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    I adopted a healthier lifestyle near the end of August, with the first big goal of 30 lbs off by Christmas. I have successfully met that goal. When Thanksgiving came, I just kept the mindset, that a little splurge is not going to derail my ultimate goal. I exercised that morning, I logged everything and still saw a loss that week. That is my approach with Christmas also. Really I work very hard at not giving in to cravings, and making myself get out there and walk everyday despite the cold temps...to let some goodies completely negate it all. Plus I truly believe that God is giving me the power beyond what is mine to finally do this with success. Have a wonderful Christmas all, and remember you deserve good health.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I adopted a healthier lifestyle near the end of August, with the first big goal of 30 lbs off by Christmas. I have successfully met that goal. When Thanksgiving came, I just kept the mindset, that a little splurge is not going to derail my ultimate goal. I exercised that morning, I logged everything and still saw a loss that week. That is my approach with Christmas also. Really I work very hard at not giving in to cravings, and making myself get out there and walk everyday despite the cold temps...to let some goodies completely negate it all. Plus I truly believe that God is giving me the power beyond what is mine to finally do this with success. Have a wonderful Christmas all, and remember you deserve good health.

Love the "you deserve good health" Thanks noriri!