Is it possible to still lose weight on Depo-Provera?

Options
Good evening, MFP!

I've been losing weight steadily now. Through just minor changes in my lifestyle, I went from around 260 lb to 231 lb. I start the ketogenic diet and have now gone all the way down to 201 lb.

I'm considering switching to Depo-Provera because of the low failure rate and the ease of use, but I've heard an incredible amount of concerns over weight gain. Is it possible to still lose weight if I'm still working out and keeping my calories in check? I know some of the weight is water, but I rarely retain water on keto.

Replies

• LWinder36s
    Options
    Im not sure but i had a pretty good diet and exercise routine and i still gained around 25-30 pounds on the depo shot! I would never get it again!
  • LovestheEarth
    LovestheEarth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im not sure but i had a pretty good diet and exercise routine and i still gained around 25-30 pounds on the depo shot! I would never get it again!

Same here. I never recommend it to someone wanting to lose weight or maintain their weight. Try nuva ring. I haven't gained weight with it (just my own faults) and I think it's reliable since I haven't gotten pregnant in 4 years of using it.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I heard depo makes people very hungry but I've never been on it
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds while taking it. Didn't make it harder all I did was exercise more and eat a little bit better (my first real attempt at weight loss after school and I kept it off till I got pregnant). But you have to be careful b/c I don't think it's recommend for use for more then 2 yrs anymore b/c it makes you lose bone density (don't quote me on that tho)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I was on the Depo for several years and did gain about ten pounds initially, but was able to work it off inside a few months. I think it works by tricking your body into thinking its already pregnant, so yeah, increased hunger is often a side effect.
  • ermahgerdkate
    ermahgerdkate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds while taking it. Didn't make it harder all I did was exercise more and eat a little bit better (my first real attempt at weight loss after school and I kept it off till I got pregnant). But you have to be careful b/c I don't think it's recommend for use for more then 2 yrs anymore b/c it makes you lose bone density (don't quote me on that tho)

I've heard that, too, so I think you're correct in that. I only plan on taking it until I graduate in May, and then I'll be looking into a solution like Mirena. I can't get that at my Student Health Clinic, which offers cheaper prices and easier access to birth control, but once I lose that option, I'll be seeing an GYN for it.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I use Nuvaring. I am able to lose weight better with it then without it, and I gained from other forms for birth control. Nuvaring is easy to use and didn't cause me to feel either sick or hungry.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I was on it and gained, but only when I was also going through pretty severe depression and was very sedentary. I also lost on it and I'm on it currently and not having any trouble maintaining.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yes. By staying in a calorie deficit.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Good evening, MFP!

I've been losing weight steadily now. Through just minor changes in my lifestyle, I went from around 260 lb to 231 lb. I start the ketogenic diet and have now gone all the way down to 201 lb.

I'm considering switching to Depo-Provera because of the low failure rate and the ease of use, but I've heard an incredible amount of concerns over weight gain. Is it possible to still lose weight if I'm still working out and keeping my calories in check? I know some of the weight is water, but I rarely retain water on keto.

I know people who packed on the pounds and couldn't get them off no matter what they did and I know people who had no problem with it. My best friend actually lost weight without trying on it.

She also ended up in menopause with osteoporosis when she was 27 and constantly had lumps in her breasts caused by Depo, but she was skinny!

So, the answer is that it is possible for some and not for others and you will only know once you try it. I wouldn't do Depo if you paid me, though, regardless of weight issues.
  • ermahgerdkate
    ermahgerdkate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    She also ended up in menopause with osteoporosis when she was 27 and constantly had lumps in her breasts caused by Depo, but she was skinny!

Oh, wow! I'll definitely make sure to ask my doctor about that. I, unfortunately, already have lumps in my breasts. I've always had them. It makes it super important for me to do monthly breast checks to know the difference between what's normally there and what could potentially be cancerous.

Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Oh, wow! I'll definitely make sure to ask my doctor about that. I, unfortunately, already have lumps in my breasts. I've always had them. It makes it super important for me to do monthly breast checks to know the difference between what's normally there and what could potentially be cancerous.

Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it :smile:

Her lumps were benign, but she had to have a couple surgeries to be sure.

I was on Mirena for three years. It's the same hormone as Depo, but administered differently and in a smaller dose. It caused me to gain weight and made it impossible to lose. I never had that issue with other BC. I had it out in September and lost 7 pounds almost immediately without even trying.