New to weights - does this sound like a good program?

Options
After years of being a cardio gal, using only light weights or resistance bands here and there a few times a week for toning, I recently joined a gym.

I was given a program to do by the trainer there on the weight machines and wonder if I could get some feedback about whether or not this will be effective. The trainer claimed that doing the circuit 2-3 times a week, lifting as heavy as I could for 8-12 reps, would do wonders. Once that weight becomes too easy, I am to increase by 2.5-5 lbs and continue. I am not looking to bulk up - but I do want to attain a lean and strong body.

I try to do this 2-3 times a week, combined with 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill/elliptical afterwards. I also do high impact aerobics/kickboxing exercise classes 2 times a week. Will this get me good results?

Here is the workout (all done on the machines):

5 minute warm up on exercise bike

Here is what I am lifting now in POUNDS (I can manage approx. 12 reps of each - by rep 12 I am totally finished and can't really do another)

LOW BACK - 135
LEG EXTENSION - 65
LEG CURL - 95
SEATED ROW - 80
CHEST PRESS - 60
SHOULDER LATERAL RAISE - 45
INNER THIGH - 100
OUTER THIGH - 100
ARM-BICEP - 45
ARM-TRICEP - 45
ABDOMINAL - 45

I then (as mentioned) go on to jog on the treadmill or do the elliptical for 30 minutes or so.

What are you thoughts on the workout? Will this bulk me up? Is it enough? I have heard that this kind of lifting will give much better results than low weights, high reps.

ALSO - should I change my diet now that I am lifting?

Any and all thoughts and comments are very appreciated. This is all so new to me.

Many thanks,

Sarah

Replies

• RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You're hitting all the major muscle groups, which is good. Personally I prefer to do at least an upper/lower body split. It allows you to work each area of the body a bit harder than just doing one exercise per body part. Are you just doing one set of 12 reps or are you doing 3 sets? 3 sets is ideal, with 60 second rest between sets.

No weight lifting routine will make you bulky, women do not produce enough testosterone to become bulky. Make sure you're getting enough protein now that you're lifting, mfp sets the protein recommendation too low. Aim for .75 g per pound of body weight.

Look into some of the bodybuilding.com workout programs like Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer and Lee Leandro's 12 week Lean Trainer, both are excellent well balanced programs and great introductions to weight lifting and I think would give you some better results than what you would see with this :)
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice.

I was only doing one set of 12. I will try three. I imagine I will not be able to do 12 for all 3 sets. Should I lower the weight so that I can do 12 reps for all three sets at the same weight? Or should I keep the weight high and just lift as many as I can for the next two sets?

Thanks also for the protein tip - I've been CRAVING it!

Thanks,

Sarah
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest three sets of 10-12 reps, lower your weight if you need to, but try to do it at the same weight you are :) once you have the minute of rest I think you'll be surprised at how much more your muscles can do.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think it is more complicated of a routine than it needs to be.
    Read here:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

This has worked well for me, doing the basic lifts on an OLD Bowflex with added resistance and using the squat and lat attachments.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think it is more complicated of a routine than it needs to be.
    Read here:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

This has worked well for me, doing the basic lifts on an OLD Bowflex with added resistance and using the squat and lat attachments.

Thanks, I have been doing circuit training for years without a specific routine. really can not wait to try this :bigsmile: