Water - How much do you drink?

Options
2»

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I don't drink anything but water, so I tend to average around 9-10 glasses a day. Sometimes I'm over 20! It depends. I drink more on hot days, more when I work out, and more still if I spend the day at home. I tend to drink less when I'm away for the day, or if it's a cold day.

Limiting what I drink to water has really helped. It's a calorie-free hydrating solution to the 500+ calories I used to spend on sodas and juices.

** just to weigh in on the clear urine issue. Your urine should be pale yellow in colour. Actually, the closer you can get to clear, while maintaining a slight yellow tint, the better. If your urine is coming out completely clear, it can be a sign of problems in your kidneys. I have drank EXCESSIVE amounts of water and I have never seen completely clear urine. If you see it, it's a problem and you should see your doctor. On the flip side, dark yellow or urine with an orange tint can signify dehydration and/or urinary tract infections so you seriously need to watch for this.

I've had a lot of urine talks with my doctor... I'm a chronic sufferer of UTIs, hence the fascination with guzzling copious amounts of clear fluids :)
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    Kerrilucko - how weird that I read your comments after three days of clear urine. :\ I have a cold right now and couldn't figure out how my urine could be clear since I was only drinking very minimally (drinking hurts my throat). Anyway... now I'm keeping a closer eye on things. If it continues I will talk to my doctor. I'm still half convinced it has something to do with my cold. But anyway, thanks for the little info snippet.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Recommendation is at least 8-8 ounce glasses of water, but what you should be getting is half your weight in ounces. Mine would be 82 and I typically drink closer to 96-100 per day, just because I work out and get thirsty... and drinking all day keeps my hands busy & reassures me when I'm hungry that I'm not actually thirsty.
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    I go through about a gallon a day.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    be careful about overdoing it....

my hubby was drinking four of those giant plastic cups from Del Taco (44oz each) every day, so a total of 176 ounces, but he's a big guy (six feet and 250 lbs of mostly muscle) and he thought it would be good for him. All his joints swelled up and he started getting sore and puffy all over. The doctor told him to knock it off and not to go over 8 glasses a day unless you have exercised. He trimmed it back and the swelling went right down.

just a caveat, because overdoing anything can hurt instead of help...
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I usually get my fair share of water but lately I have been getting into a routine to drink 2- 3 glasses first thing in the morning to get my body fully hydrated and it has aided my weight loss....obviously you need to continue drinking throughout the day but I think the 8 glasses is a guideline....there is no harm in going over as long as you dont drink like 2 gallons x
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    be careful about overdoing it....

my hubby was drinking four of those giant plastic cups from Del Taco (44oz each) every day, so a total of 176 ounces, but he's a big guy (six feet and 250 lbs of mostly muscle) and he thought it would be good for him. All his joints swelled up and he started getting sore and puffy all over. The doctor told him to knock it off and not to go over 8 glasses a day unless you have exercised. He trimmed it back and the swelling went right down.

just a caveat, because overdoing anything can hurt instead of help...

I agree, unless you're exercising, nobody needs that much. I drink about 100 ounces per day so I can stay hydrated during my work out. I haven't had any problems consuming this much and seems about right for me. I pee a lot too. He probably wasn't peeing enough of it out.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    For those looking for clear urine to indicate they've had enough water, be aware that vitamins/supplements can alter your urine color to a darker yellow than it would otherwise be.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    YES.

Extra vitamin B12 turns your urine darker than it would be without it in your system. They include a mega-dose in those "clean out/detox" teas so that the urine will have color...

so I've heard...
  • fauxdetresse
    Options
    i drink 8 20-oz bottles a day. i've become addicted to crystal light.