flat abs

Options
how do i get flat abs? this is what im dealing with :/

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    how do i get flat abs? this is what im dealing with :/

?ui=2&ik=196db3ae98&view=att&th=13b88a618686c22b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=489940f332a622d1_0.1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P86XuQnrBK9ikb40zTeY3M3&sadet=1355207384149&sads=SxVIOVIYZ_Z_9614mxgnY6CeXyY
    I can't see the picture.
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    hmm i clicked copy image url is that correct?
  • kalghoul
    kalghoul Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To flatten abs you need to work all three sets of abdominal muscles: the upper ones (the ones you feel with regular crunches), the lower abs (reverse crunches and 'bicycles') and obliques (standing side crunches and elbow to opposite knee standing crunches). I find it is easiest to do this to a DVD workout. I am a big DVD user for exercise!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    To flatten abs you need to work all three sets of abdominal muscles: the upper ones (the ones you feel with regular crunches), the lower abs (reverse crunches and 'bicycles') and obliques (standing side crunches and elbow to opposite knee standing crunches). I find it is easiest to do this to a DVD workout. I am a big DVD user for exercise!

Sorry but this is completely incorrect. There is no such thing as separate upper and lower abs muscles, you are referring to the rectus abdominis ('six pack') which is a single muscle group (actually divided into left and right not top and bottom) and is there to bend your torso forwards NOT to flatten the stomach. Overworking this muscle can cause the abs to dome out and make the deep abdominal muscles lazy. Bicycles and knee lifts primarily work the hip flexors not the abdominal musculature, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone do a decent reverse curl most people swing their legs and use momentum.

What you actually need to work is the transversus abdominis which is like a giant belt, it's the primary muscle that activates when you voluntarily draw the stomach in. You completely missed the postural group which says a lot about the quality of the DVDs you are using, maybe consider a good Pilate class?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    By eating less
  • By eating less

Sadly, this is the crux of it. And Jillian Michaels's Six Week Six Pack DVD can't hurt, either.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    By eating less

Pretty much this to some degree. Can't see your picture but for most people a layer of fat in their midsection hides their abs. Only way to see them is to rid yourself of this fat, which is going to require a responsible diet and exercise program. No amount of crunches or "abdominal work outs" is going to show anything if you don't reign in your diet and drop the fat.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Sorry but this is completely incorrect. There is no such thing as separate upper and lower abs muscles, you are referring to the rectus abdominis ('six pack') which is a single muscle group (actually divided into left and right not top and bottom) and is there to bend your torso forwards NOT to flatten the stomach. Overworking this muscle can cause the abs to dome out and make the deep abdominal muscles lazy. Bicycles and knee lifts primarily work the hip flexors not the abdominal musculature, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone do a decent reverse curl most people swing their legs and use momentum.

What you actually need to work is the transversus abdominis which is like a giant belt, it's the primary muscle that activates when you voluntarily draw the stomach in. You completely missed the postural group which says a lot about the quality of the DVDs you are using, maybe consider a good Pilate class?

What are you recommending for the transversus abdominis and obliques?
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    1) Clean diet
    2) Cardio
    3) Ab exercise (Ab Ripper X from P90X works wonders)
    4) More cardio
    5) LOTS OF WATER