Ideas for a healthier food diary please

Options
mainly concerned about protein atm. im happy with my cals and im regularly losing. just wanting to make the composition a bit healthier.

Breakfast - oats, yogurt, and banana
AM - grapes + almonds
lunch - usually couscous or basmati rice and tinned fish (salmon or tuna)
pm - apple and vitawheat crackers or low cal muesli bar
dinner - flat with 3 other people we share meals. i watch portion sizes (esp of carbs) but generally not too worried about this part

I enjoy food so don't want to cut anything out. such as the coffees iv been drinking lately etc. But i was wondering if there were any other ideas to bump up my protein (maybe with a healthier source than tinned fish... though i am pretty lazy.)

Replies

• siehatsdrauf
    siehatsdrauf Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well, I only watch my calories and didn't worry about cals, protein and sugar too much. But I think it would help if I did!
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I might recommend some fresh lean chicken or turkey (typically the breast meat) in lieu of the canned tuna. Not only will you get more protein, but you also will reduce sodium. Both are good for overall health. Good luck!
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're right you need more protein. If you are having a hard time getting it, I would recommed a low-cal protein powder. You could mix it in with your yogurt in the morning if you don't like to drink it. Eggs and lean meats are an easy way to add protein without adding a lot of calories.

I'm also concerned that you don't seem to be eating vegetables. It's easy to buy a large bag of frozen veggies and heat up a serving in the microwave. A serving of raw carrots is something like 35 calories, and very filling. My 1/2 package of frozen spinach for lunch today was only 53. You won't be adding many calories, just a lot of nutrition.

Glad to see you are focussed on nutrition in addition to just calorie intake. Keep it up!
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    yeah i aim to get the 3 vege servings at dinner but sometimes depends on what my flat mates cook.
    usually get onion, carrot and broccoli. at least. though the last two weeks havent been so good.
    iv told them i want veges but they count potato and kumera as vegies and they already think im anal enough as it is. ;)
    though i could get around that by eating vegies as an evening snack if they dont cook them.... i will do that thank you.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    What about lowfat peanut butter? Nuts, beans, deli meats like turkey and roast beef, eggs… all good sources of protein. Personally, I don't eat deli meat often, but if you do decide to incorporate that, don't buy prepackaged stuff; it's better to get it from the deli counter- and, if possible, get real breast, roast, etc… rather than the processed deli roll.

Also, greek yogurt, as well as cottage cheese are great protein sources for breakfast or snacks.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Swap out the yoghurt for a fat free greek yoghurt and add your own fruit to it (berries) as it will net you 4x the protien for the same calories (including the berries). For example you can 227g of greek yoghurt for 65 calories with 12 grams of protien. Add in another 30 calories of berries gives you a huge portion for the same 90 calories (100g) of yoghurt you had today.

I also love nuts but they are calorie dense. If you substitute a hard boiled egg for your snack of nuts, you could have gained a lot of protien there as well.

Your diary looks great overal though so I wouldn't worry about changing it that much. I was just giving a couple of examples where you could have made small adjustments if your goal was to add more protien.