How to increase grip strength?

Options
Ok so I LOVE my deadlifts but the problemo at the moment is that I'm not lifting as much as I could in my hamstrings/lower back because I can't lift anything heavier or my forearms are really feeling it.
Only lifting 40kg/88lb cos I can't lift anything more with my arms..

Anyone got any tips on how to increase grip strength?

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Grip things a lot, do farmers walks.

Do you use a normal overhand grip?
    Try hook or mixed grip.

Mixed grip is probably stronger, but I have to show love for the hook being a weightlifter!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Keep doing everything without any grip aids - that will help.

Also you can use 'white knuckling' which is where whenever you do any exercise where you hold the bar you squeeze it as hard as you can the whole exercise.

here's a page actually with some ideas

http://stronglifts.com/7-ways-increase-deadlift-grip-strength/
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I was told to lift heavy things. That's exactly what I did. I 2nd the grip changed. However, the mixed grip can cause trouble when you get into higher weights.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Try hanging from a pull up bar... over time you will be able to hang for longer and also grip a barbell longer.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Farmers walks and Kroc rows will help loads.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/kroc_rows_101
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Chalk.

I use liquid chalk that doesn't transfer to the equipment.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    This article essentially details everything already posted.

• StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Farmer's walk.
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    Squeezing tennis balls is how the police recruiter recommended increasing grip strength
  • freedomischaos
    freedomischaos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing.
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Use Fat Gripz! Also, if you can, do towel pullups :D
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    This article essentially details everything already posted.

#6 is the best one in my experience (well, coming from climbing rather than strength training). Just hang until you can't hang any more, then rest a few seconds and pick the damned thing up again. You don't know pumped until you relax the muscle and it's still solid. And then you climb again. :o)
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Why not try a pair of lifting straps? for $10 you can have no trouble holding the bar. I started using them and feel like it's a great way to up the weight and remain safe.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You could train with heavy grippers. Both closing and opening for reps and holding closed for time.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Grips-Singles-Strength-Levels/dp/B0007D5H8K
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Straps. Unless you are a powerlifter.

I'm there to build muscle, not increase my grip strength. Strengthen the weakest point in the chain :o)
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Keep working on it and it will improve your strength. Don't quit too early. If you are doing the max, I would expect one or two reps. Straps does help by little with an increase of two or three reps.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Straps. Unless you are a powerlifter.

I'm there to build muscle, not increase my grip strength. Strengthen the weakest point in the chain :o)

^^^This. What's important to me is the weight I'm lifting, not the fact that I'm using straps or my "grip strength".

Plus I am not a fan of mixed grip. Great way to tear a bicep.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    im with you, i couldnt get above 80 pounds til I switched to an opposing grip. I got gloves too but I feel that the new grip made a huge difference in my confidence with not dropping the thing.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Dead hang from a pullup bar. Progress from full grip, to hanging from your first knuckles, to fingertips only (at that point you should be able to dead hang from a door frame), then to doing pullups on door frames alone.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Let me add one thing... using straps will allow you to up your weight safely but by no means is that quitting... you can still work on grip strength the rest of the workout. it will come with time but you may really miss out on deadlift increases waiting on your hands/forearms to catch up.