Holiday party help!

Options
Pot luck holiday party at work on Friday. Totally stressing about staying within my calories......any suggestions??

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Well, there are a few options you have.

1. Enjoy it for what it is, a one day party and enjoy yourself
    2. Bring in some lower calorie options to share with your co-workers that match your calorie goals and only eat those
    3. Exercise more to earn more calories so you can enjoy more of the food options at the party
    4. Combine any of the above options together
    5. Complain on MFP that your co-workers are trying to sabotage you (this one is sarcasm btw):tongue:
  • litebright33
    litebright33 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! I used to try and eat ahead of time so that I wouldn't be hungry - but it didn't stop me one bit. So now I don't eat much at all before I go. Maybe just a lite breakfast and lots of water. I know that I don't really have control around unlimited amounts of yummy food. Exercise before you go - that hard work helps to deter me (only a little).
  • oameyers
    oameyers Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I actually have two potlucks Friday and I just came from one yesterday. My plan has been first to workout hard so that I can have extra calories. Then when I'm there I try to build my plate like I would at home...lean meats and veggies...I do try to stay away from all the cheesy casseroles (I usually just pick the one or two that look like they'll be worth my carlories). I love dessert so I just pick one thing on the table I think I can't live without.

Overall portion control is key...I usually just do like a spoonful of each item.

Hope that helps

Oh and if your super worried make sure your dish is something that you can eat. So that if everyone's else's stuff looks super fatty at least you have what you brought :-)
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me s not to keep grazing throughout the length of the entire party.
  • nevastop
    Options
    I feel your pain! But if you're like me:

An alternative would be to bring in the most amazing culinary dish you can create and not participate in any of the feasting. Coworkers will act shocked an appalled that you are not joining in on the "fun" (translation: over eating) but its just their guilt talking because you will remind them that they are over eating, I mean, having "fun".

I've done this and it actually cracked me up at some of the responses from coworkers.