Looking to start over again

Options
Hello everyone..
So my story... I am 28 yrs old... I have been on MFP for a few years now... When I first joined it was great I lost 30 pounds in about 4 months! But then I began to get lazy.. I have now gained all my weight back and it just doesn't seem as easy to get back started again.. I need some help and motivation pls! any tips on how to get back on track?!?! Thank you!!!

Replies

• TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same struggle. I'm 28 and my story matches yours except I lost 34 and have put back on 12. I stopped even updating my ticker with all the weight gains. :( I'm in the same boat.
  • taylorliv31
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and really need to get it together. I know that I can do this but when I teeter on the fence I need someone to say where you at.....I'd like to lose 20 pounds to start but 30 would be even better. Today I have logged in and will until I am a loser.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    You have got to be kidding me this is almost exactly the same as my story I am also restarting and I have 65 pounds I need to lose now. Add me I know your pain.
  • 1MariaChristina
    1MariaChristina Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the struggles-be prepared for some negative comments on here, I have posted a few topics on here searching for support common ground and tips and there are some folks that unload a lot of nasty and negative comments.

Have you done a motivation board for yourself? Have you set baby goals, baby make it a bit easier and smaller goals so that you don't feel defeated and overwhelmed? I'll be more than happy to be helpful, you have to get your mind in it though-I have learned that this is totally a mental journey, start there. =)
  • Tabby615
    Tabby615 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :) good idea though I guess I need to figure out my small goal...
  • 1MariaChristina
    1MariaChristina Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :) good idea though I guess I need to figure out my small goal...

no problem at all!!!
  • nerchk
    nerchk Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    you all could make good buddies to each other. lol
    31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    I can't give you tips. You're going to have to want it for yourself. You're the only one who can change your habits.

GO HAMMMMMMMMM
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is you have to want to do it for yourself and find times/ways to get it done. Find a buddy to go to the gym, or come over and play dance party or boxing on the Wii, etc.
  • sonika86
    sonika86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am on the same wagon tooo but the postive note I have learnt quite few things on the way. First of all eating 1200 cals is so wrong if you want to lose the weight and maintain it and you need to work out every other day.
  • 165ordietrying
    165ordietrying Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just start tracking your food, whether you go over or under or whatever. I would just consistently do it and get in the habit of doing it, that in and of itself should eventually get you to the point where you want to consistently meet that goal. As far as exercising, I would find something that I like to do and just do it consistently.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It takes 2 weeks for something to become a habit. Try to develop a habit of working out.
  • LusciousLady
    LusciousLady Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I'm also in the same boat, I never stopped logging maybe missed a few days here and there but truly logged all the bad food I was eating. As of Monday I have been dedicated to keeping track and exercising at least 3 days a week. I also believe you should set baby goals and then increase them. For me my baby goal was to get back to exercising and drinking water and using portion control...so far so good....So GOOD LUCK! You can do it.:smile:
  • Sicler
    Sicler Posts: 18
    Options
    I did the same thing . Restarting tomorrow. Anyone feel free to add me. Open diary and log everyday. Good luck
  • infromsea
    infromsea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to go through your experience.

We often move through several "phases" of fitness and, as someone who has been very active for years, I fall off my plan from time to time. It's the getting started part that is always the hardest. Once you are "back on track" for two to three weeks, you'll feel so good you'll wonder how you ever got away from being on a program of eating right and working out. You do HAVE to do both by the way, that's the best way to achieve lasting change, change your diet and exercise, they can both work on their own but adding them together supercharges the effect.

So, how to get re-started?

1. Remember that you've done this before, you can do it again. Tell yourself that often, maybe even write it down on an index card and read it daily.

2. Ask yourself "what happened?" Why did you lose the weight then put it back on? Can you identify any triggers? Anything specific that led to your "falling off the wagon"? Try to write those things down. Really think about it, what started your movement away from your goals and where you wanted to be? Was it a special event that you used to cheat and then never recovered? Did you think you had the fitness thing "whipped" and you could go back to your "old ways"? Try to find that motivator, and be on your guard for it this time.

3. Speaking of goals, what are yours? Why do you have those goals? What is the underlying reason for them? Instead of just saying "I want to lose 12 pounds" or "I want to reach 180 and maintain it" ask why you want to do those things. Something like "I want to reach 180 pounds by losing 6 pounds a month for the next xx months, and maintain it for life, so I can control my blood sugar" is a more effective thought process.

4. Shake things up. Maybe you got into a rut; maybe it's time to try something new. Did you run to lose your weight before? Try swimming. Did you do lots of cardio? Try "cardio weights" many gyms have the body pump style classes where you lift and get a cardio workout, maybe try one of them. Just try something new.

It all comes down to sitting down and really exploring the underlying conditions behind why you lost weight the first time, what worked for you then, what stopped working, why do you want to lose the weight now? Answer t hose questions and you are on your way, write them down and really think on them and expose yourself to lasting change!

GOOD LUCK!