Anyone out there do Les Mills Classes

Hello I am a new user. 2nd week in. (perfect timing huh) with the holidays and all. Anyway I take Les Mills classes at the gym I attend. I was just wondering if anyone had a way to figure a more accurate calorie count for Body Pump, Body Combat and Body Flow. I looked on their site and they have a round about calorie count so I have been guesstimating my exercise calories but would rather not. I also take Zumba if anyone would happen to have any ideas for a calorie burn on that as well. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Body pump etc do they combine cardio and strength training ? that can be logged as circuit training if so

Zumba is marketed via informercial and for the Wii as "dancing" which is in the database

Fitness is s multi-billion dollar industry, they can't keep up with a burn that works for "every" one with all the permutations / variations / substitutions that you could be doing to keep an accurate burn, HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) will be a good way if you don't find it convenient to log a generic form of the exercise.
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Body Pump has some cardio it will get your heart up for some of the tracks (squats, lunges and back mostly) I may try doing that. Thank you.
  • aedavidson79
    aedavidson79 Posts: 11 Member
    I have often wondered the same thing. Eventually, I got a heart rate monitor and wore it while exercising. At the end of my exercise the wrist band would tell me the calories burned. Any other way just seemed like guessing.
  • Kristy528
    I am thinking of looking into getting something to help me track everything more accurate. I am thinking maybe a fit bit, because it syncs with My fitness pal. Do you know anything about those?
  • Hopefully they will add those, I do some too. Be careful with body pump, I tore my rotator cuff lifting too much overhead!
  • Kristy528
    Did that happen during the soulder track? I have been doing Body Pump for over a year now, but I agree you have to be careful on what you are lifting and most importantly form.
  • jessicaecohen
    jessicaecohen Posts: 6 Member
    I did a Les Mills Body Combat class this morning and burned over 500 calories! I would highly recommend purchasing a heart rate monitor to make sure you don't over/under track.
  • I do Body Pump classes and I have the BodyMedia Fit LINK and love it for calorie counting. Burn around 500-550 per session. Definitely if your wanting to lose weight, go with a BodyMedia Fit, and it does link right to MyFitnessPal.
  • Yes, it was about 5 years ago. Bar weights overhead, don't remember how much I was lifting, but I was pushing it!
  • I've done Pump for years and Attack for about a year.

It's really going to depend on how hard you're working and if its Pump what weights you're using for the bigger tracks like squats, clean and press, etc.

But this report is an interesting read and might be useful as a guideline. It's was done quite a number of years ago so not all programs are there (like CX Works) and somethings may have changed with the other programs but they are basically the same (ie. pump is still pump)

Now I use a heart rate monitor to track calories, but before I had one I used this to help estimate how much I was burning. Adjusting for my own weight (and for pump the weights I was using --- I go heavy!)

http://www.holmesplace.pt/fotos/editor2/bc0203caloricexpenditure.pdf
  • zena92
    zena92 Posts: 128 Member
    I swear by les mills classes!
    I do:
    Body Pump
    Body Combat
    Body Balance
    Body step
    RPM
    Body Attack

they are so addictive!!! I'm a singer but if i could choose any other profession it would be a Les Mills class instructor.. would recommend to anyone!
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Yep!!! I'm not so good at self directed workouts so the classes are heaven sent for me!! I take BodyPump and BodyFlow and KickIt which I believe is a spin off of BodyCombat LOVE EM!!!!

a HRM is probably the only way to get an accurate count. I asked Santa for one LOL.

for now with pump I log it under strength. I know there is some cardio but honestly that's not why I take it. I take it for my strength training for the week so logging it under strength just seems like a no brainier.. and Iog it as one exercise and the weight I'm using for that track. So warm up track I log dumbbell rows 15lbs 35 reps 2 sets. legs track I log 40lbs squats 35 reps 2 sets. chest track i log bench press 20lbs 35 reps 2 sets...and so on. every track is supposed to be between 70-100 reps per muscle group. which is how I came up with the 35 reps 2 sets.
    for BodyFlow I log it under yoga and for Kick it ( like BodyCombat ) I log it under kick boxing / turbo-jam
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    According to my hrm and my own body, my last few workouts were as follows:

BodyAttack: 477 cals
    Zumba: 471 cals
    Body Vive: 446 cals (71 mins.....12 minutes of this was on the step mill)

Burn varies from day to day, but typically 450-600 per class, except for body flow, which was only about 211 cals. Have yet to try pump, step or rpm. (I'm a newb to the gym)
  • kdt000
    kdt000 Posts: 27 Member
    I do Body Step, Body Flow, Body Pump. I've done Body Jam but I feel like I look stupid the whole time so I don't do it as often. I haven't tried Body Vive. Those are the ones my gym offers. I looooooove these classes. They are awesome, motivating, and so fun. I use my HRM for calorie counting.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Used to do Body Pump awhile back.... Got a HRM, it was usually around 350-400/class.
  • Hughesers
    Hughesers Posts: 22 Member
    I do the body combat and body pump at our gym and I think its 550 calories in the pump and probably over 600 in the combat if you increase your weights in pump and take it to level 2 in combat. I love these classes