Some people will believe anything

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    no. i am simply stating your friend is not wrong. that doesn't have to mean anything to you. if anyone in my house NEEDED antibiotics, i would give them. but we don't get sick. end of story. my children do not get sick, do not miss days of school, do not end up with bacterial infections.

viruses, you don't treat with atbx. but people do. parents demand them. when you watch children "shake and bake" from the hardest core atbx out there, you educate yourself as much as you can to make sure that NEVER happens to your child.

if i had kids that needed atbx routinely for something like bronchitis, i would look into what the bigger issue is. but, that's just me. like i said different strokes, for different folks.
    i have worked pediatric oncology ( kids with cancer) at CHOP ( um, top ranked peds hospital), general peds, maternal child, mother baby, and in a 60 bed level 3 NICU.

different strokes for different folks. not to mention, some people don't really educate themselves, by choice.

You're right. You know more than all of them. I will never take an antibiotic again. :flowerforyou:

"Routinely"??? I never used that word.
  • rml_16
    Options
    The problem is the doctors. Why are they prescribing antibiotics for viral infections?

There are some parents who are very demanding and don't understand this and they find doctors who will give in because they don't want to deal with the drama.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

In the US, most doctors are not keen to hand out antibiotics willy-nilly.

They sure used to! I recall more than once as a kid when I was prescribed antibiotics when I was faking sick to get out of school. when I got to college, I had a bad UTI and after three rounds of antibiotics, I ended up on one that was like $100 or so. Then I ended up with a yeast infection. It was a bad time.
  • rml_16
    Options

In the US, most doctors are not keen to hand out antibiotics willy-nilly.

They sure used to! I recall more than once as a kid when I was prescribed antibiotics when I was faking sick to get out of school. when I got to college, I had a bad UTI and after three rounds of antibiotics, I ended up on one that was like $100 or so. Then I ended up with a yeast infection. It was a bad time.

I said "most," not "all."

Some still do, but those are bad doctors. There ARE bad doctors. And there are good doctors.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    Antibiotics are useful, no doubt, when they are used properly.

The problem is that now they are so prevalent in our food supply and being over prescribed by doctors that we are seeing very scary things like MRSA and VRE.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Many people I know go to the doctor when they are sick and demand a Z-pack. They don't care what they have or why they are sick. This is pretty routine.

I'll answer my own question, doctors do it for money. They know if they say no to the patient, they patient will leave and find a doctor that will give them what hey want. The medical profession from that standpoint is a joke.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Even one round of antibiotics can severely weaken the immune system and require years of targeted nutrition and herbal therapy to bring your system back to normal.

Translation:
    So, give your naturopath your money regularly and for years for "targeted" treatment. Ignore those sciency doctors.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    None of this matters since the world is ending in 9 days, people!!!

(lol)
  • rml_16
    Options

(lol)

Oh yeah. I keep forgetting about that.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    i have worked pediatric oncology ( kids with cancer) at CHOP ( um, top ranked peds hospital), general peds, maternal child, mother baby, and in a 60 bed level 3 NICU.

different strokes for different folks. not to mention, some people don't really educate themselves, by choice.

You're right. You know more than all of them. I will never take an antibiotic again. :flowerforyou:
    Hey you started the post. She is someone in the medical field who was kind enough to respond. No need to be snarky. It seems like you don't want to have a discussion you simply want people to agree with you.

I don't see what the problem is with the FB post. It is so important to take probiotics right as you are finishing antibiotics and after for this very reason. But I do agree with you here, I hate it when people use FB to write novels. I usually hide their posts from my feed when people are long winded like this.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Um, if I had holes in my intestines from taking antibiotics, I would be worried about more than just PROCESSED FOODS(OMG EVERYONE PANIC!!!!!) leaking into my body.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Geez, people like this annoy me!
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

(lol)
    ^^^ This.
  • rml_16
    Options

Hey you started the post. She is someone in the medical field who was kind enough to respond. No need to be snarky. It seems like you don't want to have a discussion you simply want people to agree with you.

I don't see what the problem is with the FB post. It is so important to take probiotics right as you are finishing antibiotics and after for this very reason. But I do agree with you here, I hate it when people use FB to write novels. I usually hide their posts from my feed when people are long winded like this.

She has made some pretty incredible claims based on being a nurse. I responded that the MANY medical professionals I know well and am related to do not agree with her and she responded by claiming they are not as educated as she is.

I don't think I was the snarky one.

I am aware that antibiotics have side effects and they should not be given out when not needed. However, the alarmist attitude of the OP and this nurse are not very helpful.

And, to be honest, I question the honesty of someone who claims to have as many children as she has who supposedly go to school with OTHER children and "never get sick." The odds of that being true are astronomical.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Can we go back to the original topic? Was it inappropriate use of scare tactics by completely unqualified people through misrepresentation of useful medicine in order to sell some diet and exercise plans?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

And, to be honest, I question the honesty of someone who claims to have as many children as she has who supposedly go to school with OTHER children and "never get sick." The odds of that being true are astronomical.

Yup.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Sulpha drugs and antibiotics ARE miracles. Over prescribing and MISUSE in the form of not taking them completely or properly is the problem. We may have already reached the tipping point with super bugs that are not responding to the usual drugs.
    Wash your hands more often people.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    There are people who believe they are the second coming of Christ, that the Earth is flat, that the moon landing was faked, etc. Just smile friendly like and slowly back away . . .

My aunt believes the moon landing was faked and does not waste any opportunity to tell us about it, either!!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Can we go back to the original topic? Was it inappropriate use of scare tactics by completely unqualified people through misrepresentation of useful medicine in order to sell some diet and exercise plans?

And, yes, this was my point to begin with. Thank you. :-)
  • melanogaster
    Options
    Antibiotics are useful, no doubt, when they are used properly.

The problem is that now they are so prevalent in our food supply and being over prescribed by doctors that we are seeing very scary things like MRSA and VRE.

This, this, a thousand times this!

Use antibiotics responsibly, skip the triclosan in your household products, but be aware that as long as you're eating factory-farmed meat, milk, and even fish - you're getting a steady drip of antibiotics in your food. There's now growing evidence that when excess antibiotics are excreted into manure, and the manure is spread on fields with food crops, the crops will absorb some portion of the antibiotics - and so even a vegetarian diet can include a steady (albeit smaller) stream of antibiotics. The FDA is working to reduce antibiotics use in livestock to therapeutic use only, but there's a long way to go before it gets fixed.