REALISTIC GOALS?

Options
I AM 22, FEMALE...I WANT TO LOSE 60 POUNDS BY JUNE. IS THAT REALISTIC AND OBTAINABLE? IF NOT WHAT IS REALISTIC? ANYONE ELSE HAVE GOALS BY SUMMER NEXT YEAR?

Replies

• iSurvive
    Options
    I suppose it depends on how overweight you are. I would like to lose 50 pounds by June but I have a lot to lose.
  • 165ordietrying
    165ordietrying Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, it depends on how much weight you have to lose. Having said that, yes it is possible it depends on how hard you are willing to work for it.
  • jgandy13
    Options
    That is the ultimate amount I want to lose, maybe 70 pounds total. I weight 190 right now and would like to be between 120-130.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    That is the ultimate amount I want to lose, maybe 70 pounds total. I weight 190 right now and would like to be between 120-130.

what height are you?
  • jgandy13
    Options
    As someone else said, it depends on how much weight you have to lose. Having said that, yes it is possible it depends on how hard you are willing to work for it.

Do you happen to know any workout or have any suggestions as to how to accomplish that. I am really struggling. I go to Zumba twice a week, and a cardio class twice a week and workout with a friend or alone on the other days of the week. I generally take off one day a week and have been eating better. Any other advice or workout ideas....Most of my morning workouts, I get off of pinterest lol.
  • jgandy13
    Options
    I am 5' 3"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    No. That's a 2.5lb loss a week for approximately 6 months. That's more than 1% of your total bodyweight per week and the while 2% is possible, once you're past the first month, the weight loss won't be linear.
    1% a week of your bodyweight is more realistic. And more attainable too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jgandy13
    Options
    No. That's a 2.5lb loss a week for approximately 6 months. That's more than 1% of your total bodyweight per week and the while 2% is possible, once you're past the first month, the weight loss won't be linear.
    1% a week of your bodyweight is more realistic. And more attainable too.

IDEA Fitness member

So do I need to raise my goal from a 6 month time period to say a 9-12 month time period? I am not sure I completely follow what you are saying.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing OK with the exercise. You might want to work in some weights, or maybe a body sculpting class, That being said, it is really consistency in your diet that will determine whether you can drop the weight by June, or not. Not sure if you can lose exactly what you want, but you can get pretty close. But consistency is the key. If you fall off, or take a couple of weeks off, then you won't. If you can hit your calorie targets, macros, and keep exercising at least 4 or 5 times a week for the next 5 months, you could get 70 or 80% to your goal by June, maybe even reach it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Right now your bodyweight is 190. So your first week is 1.9lbs to lose. Next week it will be 1.8. Then 1.86, and so on and so on till you hit 60lbs loss.
    So about 9 months or a little over if you follow that protocol.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I personally think that setting a time goal for weight loss is setting yourself up for disappointment and failure.
    I lost 39lbs in three months. The past three weeks it's been WAY slower and I'm focusing more on measurments than scale. I originally had a time frame in mind but I decided that I would rather just do it instead of focusing on a time frame. That way, no matter when I accomplish my goals, I'm a winner. Whereas if I took my first month's weight loss, 17lbs, and expected to maintain that and didn't, I would have been devastated...
  • jgandy13
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing OK with the exercise. You might want to work in some weights, or maybe a body sculpting class, That being said, it is really consistency in your diet that will determine whether you can drop the weight by June, or not. Not sure if you can lose exactly what you want, but you can get pretty close. But consistency is the key. If you fall off, or take a couple of weeks off, then you won't. If you can hit your calorie targets, macros, and keep exercising at least 4 or 5 times a week for the next 5 months, you could get 70 or 80% to your goal by June, maybe even reach it.

This gave me extreme hope!!!! I am working hard on the food aspect of it. That is why I became active with MFP again. I had dropped off because I had friends who were inactive and needed the support. I was so happy when I actually got on a computer and saw these forums to ask questions and find active members:)
  • jgandy13
    Options
    Right now your bodyweight is 190. So your first week is 1.9lbs to lose. Next week it will be 1.8. Then 1.86, and so on and so on till you hit 60lbs loss.
    So about 9 months or a little over if you follow that protocol.

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you, that is quite helpful:)
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Anything is possilbe. All it takes is hard work and dedication. I've personal lost about 60 pounds since April of this year, so you can do it!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I know that every person is different. It took me 10 months to lose 61 pounds. I'm 5'6" and started at 190.5. I currently weigh 129.8 and want to get down to 125.

I'm not saying that I was perfect by any means, but I was very dedicated. There were only 5 days in the last 6 months that I did no form of exercise (I was sick or traveling). Some days were just walking, but I made sure to do something to stay active. Most days I workout for 90 minutes between cardio and strength training. There were a few days that I went over my calories, but relatively few.

I'm not sure if you can lose 60 pounds by June, but you will see a huge change by then if you follow the program.

Good luck. This is a great place for advice from really helpful people.
  • jgandy13
    Options
    I personally think that setting a time goal for weight loss is setting yourself up for disappointment and failure.
    I lost 39lbs in three months. The past three weeks it's been WAY slower and I'm focusing more on measurments than scale. I originally had a time frame in mind but I decided that I would rather just do it instead of focusing on a time frame. That way, no matter when I accomplish my goals, I'm a winner. Whereas if I took my first month's weight loss, 17lbs, and expected to maintain that and didn't, I would have been devastated...

I am setting the goal to keep me on track. As long as I am losing weight and getting closer to that goal, I don't mind how long it takes...I am hoping to get closer as the months progress. I love the way you think...your quote, "That way, no matter when I accomplish my goals, I'm a winner." is something I need to keep in mind.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options

I am setting the goal to keep me on track. As long as I am losing weight and getting closer to that goal, I don't mind how long it takes...I am hoping to get closer as the months progress. I love the way you think...your quote, "That way, no matter when I accomplish my goals, I'm a winner." is something I need to keep in mind.

As long as you're looking at it like that, then I think you'll be more successful. Also I found cardio alone had me losing pounds, but when I started lifting I've lost a lot of mass.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    It sounds like a pretty unrealistic goal to me. From what I've seen, it's not recommended to lose more than two pounds a week (for just about anyone). Of course, I'm no expert....just what I've read. Sooooo, if you go with two pounds a week for six months....that's roughly 50 pounds by June, right? I was never really good at math either. haha! You also have to take into account once you start getting closer to your GW.....that you won't see as much loss. I'd say your 9-12 month goal us much more realistic.
    Also, I personally set small goals. I find that when I set big goals, I tend to fail and then get really down on myself. Since starting MFP and such, I've ONLY set small goals. I've been reaching them just fine and I've been stoked through this whole process. It makes it more fun for me.
    Good luck!
  • jgandy13
    Options
    It sounds like a pretty unrealistic goal to me. From what I've seen, it's not recommended to lose more than two pounds a week (for just about anyone). Of course, I'm no expert....just what I've read. Sooooo, if you go with two pounds a week for six months....that's roughly 50 pounds by June, right? I was never really good at math either. haha! You also have to take into account once you start getting closer to your GW.....that you won't see as much loss. I'd say your 9-12 month goal us much more realistic.
    Also, I personally set small goals. I find that when I set big goals, I tend to fail and then get really down on myself. Since starting MFP and such, I've ONLY set small goals. I've been reaching them just fine and I've been stoked through this whole process. It makes it more fun for me.
    Good luck!

It would be 27 weeks total...so a lose of 2.2 pounds a week. I will be happy just as long as I drop a good amount of weight by then, Thank you for your constructive advice
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I AM 22, FEMALE...I WANT TO LOSE 60 POUNDS BY JUNE. IS THAT REALISTIC AND OBTAINABLE? IF NOT WHAT IS REALISTIC? ANYONE ELSE HAVE GOALS BY SUMMER NEXT YEAR?

I personally don't think that's safe...I'm not a doctor, but that's more than 2 Lbs per week...2 Lbs per week is pretty tough IMHO and I've found my happy place at 1 Lb per week. More than 2 Lbs per week, and you're inviting more trouble IMHO. You didn't put the weight on overnight and you're surely not going to take it off over night.