From a jog to a full sprint??

Options
Ok, not sure if this has happened to anyone here. But, I thought I had passed this phase already, I found out this morning that I have not. Today was supposed to be an easier day, since my joints were a bit painful from the past couple of days. I'm an avid runner, therefore, I keep good track of my miles, pace, time, HR, all that good stuff. The scheduled run for today was a
LSD(Long-Slow distance), I'm on the trail, keeping a pretty slow pace, and everyone seems to be passing me, as my heart rate elevates I start getting pissed, once I hit the turnaround point, I'm like, screw it..its going down, so I ended up running the last half of my "jog" at about 6:00 min mile, which its about 10mph. What a bunch of crap falling into the race trap. Maybe this has happened to some of you?

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what your question is, but if you're an avid runner then there's no way a 6 minute mile is a full sprint. A very fast jog, sure, but if you can do it for much beyond 20 seconds without collapsing then it's not a full sprint.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    My last LSD, I ended doing HIIT (1min + 30 sec x 5) because I hated the slow, getting passed thing. New HRmax. I'm fine with "recovery rides" (cyclists equivalent of LSD) but I need to do my LSDs in a place without people.

So, yes.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I do find myself intentionally or unintentionally pacing against people that pass me but that's a good thing, right? It helps you get faster.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way--I set out to do "nice and easy," but once I look down to see how fast I'm going and realize I could beat some kind of time, I kick my butt in gear. My advice (which I have yet to take) is to leave the watch at home on LSD days and just enjoy the run.
  • Ok Zomoniac, next time I post something I'll make sure it states from a 10 min mile to a 6 min mile. The other folks seem to understand what im trying to say. Thanks for your input.
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I fall into the "trap" of not wanting to get passed myself, but I also realize that I'm not the fastest out there and some people will pass me at some point. I try to go and just do a run to run and get the exercise, but usually wind up looking at my watch and say "hey, I can do XX miles in XX:XX time..." and instead of a recovery/light day, wind up doing a usual run :/
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Once I started to really get a good understanding of what the physiological goal of each workout was, it was far easier to just settle into whatever pace I was supposed to be running and not give two squirts if I got passed by anyone.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble with this for a while and it still crosses my mind when I get passed. I read somewhere that "they don't give out medals for training" and that's helped a lot. Since I've been focusing on aerobic base training, though, my "easy" pace has gotten faster and I've actually passed some people on those days.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Passing people or being passed by people on a TRAINING run has absolutley no bearing on who is in better shape to run. On my recovery runs I probably look like an out of shape coach potato with how slowly I run them but I don't have an ego problem like some here seemingly do. Plus if somebody sprints by you, how do you know they aren't doing intervals and are going to slow back down soon?
  • Excellent points made by all of you, thank you.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I used to stranger race all the time early in my running career. After a few races where I did "ok" I finally decided that there are three types of runners that will pass me on a when I am on a LSD or recovery training run.

1) Those that are doing a different type of workout (i.e. tempo run)...good for them.
    2) Those that are just faster than I am at any distance, in which case they are probably laughing at me if I fall for the racing training run trap
    3) Those that I will smoke in an actual race because I focused on training during training and show up for races prepared.

Not worrying about others during training has made both my trianing much more effective and my race results much faster.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My wife is that competitive. She cannot let anyone pass her without speeding up. Maybe you will just have to accept that you are that way. It is really not that big a deal anyway, is it? You covered your distance, and you did much of it slow and easy.
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yup! What I'm doing is none of their business nor theirs mine :) But then again, I'm usually the one always getting passed. Your training program calls for a long-slow for a reason, don't lose sight of that.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't much care when people pass me in training since I can beat most of them in races.

Know the purpose of the run and the correct intensity/pace to achieve that purpose at your current fitness level. Then stick to the plan. They don't give medals out for winning training runs.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Never happened to me, my legs just couldn't move fast enough to propel me to 10 mph, for any length of time
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what your question is, but if you're an avid runner then there's no way a 6 minute mile is a full sprint. A very fast jog, sure, but if you can do it for much beyond 20 seconds without collapsing then it's not a full sprint.

:angry:

Um...rude much? Not everyone runs at the same pace.

To the OP...I totally know what you mean. I do the same thing on occasion - especially during my trail runs for some reason. And sometimes in my car. Ha.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I even do it on the elliptical if someone is next to me. Must go faster . . push harder . . .