Anyone recovering from Knee/Hip/Ankle surgery?

Options
Hi All- I' m 9 weeks post op from a major knee surgery and started MFP this week - my cardio is pretty limited and was looking for some pals to add/have/hold lol while getting through recovery/physical therapy days.

Wishing you all health and some motivation to keep you going!,

add me :):flowerforyou:

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have completely severed both of my IT bands at some point or another, really just take it easy and let it heal RICE'ing it feels good and when you get back into running make DAMN SURE you go to a running shoe expert and have them look at your feet and maybe they will even have one of the machines you run on that shows the way your feet hit, roll and come off and they can give you the best shoe for you, after injuries like these you need every advantage you can get, I drop over 100 on a pair of running shoes easy but it pays off
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I had shoulder surgery last May and started working out in August. I had PT and a personal trainer to ensure that I didn't push myself. Today I'm totally cleared of issues with my shoulder (rotator cuff, debridement) At Christmas I had knee surgery, just a scope.I stopped all leg work at the gym and just did upper body and what I could actually do without pain.
    Now with the help of some curecumin supplements, I am pain free and able to run, walk and low squats. (apparently the dr's think I will still require a knee replacement in the next 10 years.. we'll see )

ice, rest , elevate
    only do what you can and don't push it too hard. You don't want to reinjure yourself.
  • charliefocus
    charliefocus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys! It's hard to just sit .. I have some seated cardio ideas- upper body wts and I can bike (with no resistance) and PT a few times a week. .. I can walk ( like a turtle) on the boardwalk for about 30mins b4 my knee gets tired..

I had a tilted patela that subluxed and ripped the cartilage out from under my knee cap = chronic, daily at rest pain..so 9months of Dr. Visits I finally got the surgery.. I'm looking forward to getting active again!

Slowly but surely ..and me and ice and BFF's

Thanks for ur replies :)
  • sdardar
    sdardar Posts: 16
    Options
    I had back surgery on Jan. 19, 2012 and am still recovering from it. Makes it difficult to do things but I'm getting there.
  • ironw
    ironw Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi!! I just had a lateral release and lateral mensicus tear cleaned up 2 weeks ago and in July I had arthoscopic hip surgery for Cam Impingement and labral tear so my exercising has been limited. Especially now since the knee surgery. I have not run in over a year but I will get to after knee is healed. Anyone else have been through this and could give me some pointers especially now through the holidays with all the parties and food. Yuck!!! I have not done any cardio since the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. I did get to go back to work this Monday for 2 hours and boy did my knee start to hurt. Anyway I hope to hear from someone. Anyone in to do triathlons???:smile:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery a couple of years ago and shoulder surgery last year. There are days I still like I'm recovering. You're welcome to add me.
  • I am also recovering from major knee surgery. I also have a very limiting connective tissue disorder. I've been doing "wheelchair cardio" (Wheelchair Wii Tennis lol) and strength training to the best of my abilities. I'm hoping to walk more after my recovery, which will take 9 months or so.

Feel free to add me! We can do this!
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi I had knee replacement but it failed, after 3 surgeries. I am limited with the knee since it will only extend about 70 degrees. I also have lower back problem......I do my best with exercise.......Good Luck