P90X....talk to me!

Options
Hi guys! I've noticed a few P90Xers on here and just wondered if anyone could give me the low down??

Replies

• rbohac
    rbohac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm starting P90X this week too. Interested in hearing what others have to say
  • leighannebrown
    Options
    I have also wondered about P90X as well! I want to get the video but I don't want it to be like the other workout videos that I have..collecting dust.
  • tanyewest
    tanyewest Posts: 113
    Options
    :laugh: :happy: Me too - WHAT THE HELL IS IT!!!? :)

xxx
  • Rev_no_Boosh
    Options
    It is high intensity. The workouts are roughly an hour long, with an ab workout that is about 15 minutes. My gf has used it for a while and loves it. I'm getting into it. I like it because it's not like others I've tried. You get out of it exactly what you put into it. I find Tony a bit annoying but you can always turn off the sounds and listen to the music behind it. The people on the video struggle just like you do and I appreciate it.
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    search P90X in the forums and you will find all the info you want on it. I will tell you if you are not in at least a little shape it will kick your BUTT all over the place. :laugh: :laugh: :happy:
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am in my third week of P90X and I love it. :smile:
  • Chavtastic
    Chavtastic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week. And I've been sore since day one, mostly because each DVD focuses on different parts so I don't think I'll be so sore next week (god willing). It's only been a week but I feel MUCH better physically though I doubt I look too different. My clothes are already starting to fit a bit better though. P90X gets you with the repetition and the quickness. Yesterday I did Kenpo and being a Kung fu fan though the moves were simple. Not so simple when you're doing 25 kicks and then have to double time it and you haven't even gotten to the other leg yet. Try doing a front kick, side Kick, back kick in that order with out stopping about 30 times and then immediately doing the same on the other leg. You WILL FEEL IT. I don't care how healthy you are. The host guy (Tony/Anthony/ forgot his name) even takes quick breaks. I hate the Yoga, but it's worth it. If you can get a discount on it or borrow someone's for 12 weeks do it.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Just know that p90x is the hottest workout routine right now in my opinion. Definitely worth the hype and if you do the workouts correctly you will see results quickly.
  • tanyewest
    tanyewest Posts: 113
    Options
    So it's a DVD work-out?

If so, I am not sure then.. as I pay a heck of a lot for my gym membership and don't want to waste it by just doing my exercise at home.

It sounds great though, maybe it is something to try later on in the year for me.. xxx
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    From a workout perspective. It's a great routine to introduce you to the harder style workout that many people prefer.

Is it the best routine, or highest intensity? No, probably somewhere middle of the pack. If I had to grade it I'd give it

- a B- for strength training
    - a B+ for muscle confusion
    - a C for nutrition
    - a C+ for cardio
    - an A for core strength
    - an A - for stretching and flexibility (if you can stick with the hour and a half that Yoga X entails, I couldn't, I got too bored after an hour and had to go off and do something else, besides that it's great!)

and a High B for overall program. Good for beginner to intermediates that want to increase their overall muscle tone and maybe some slight muscle mass increases, and good for increasing flexability and burning a decent amount of calories while still making muscle gains. But probably not the best program for advanced intermediates and/or those looking for elite training.

There may be some on here who disagree with me, that's fine with me, I welcome the diversity, but after completing 1 round, this is what I found. On a related note, there's only two or three video based routines that I found that match this. In my experience, finding a knowledgeable trainer to train you in person even 2 or 3 times (about the same cost as the DVD's) will give you more personalized results if you can follow through with the program set up for you.

Side note, maybe this is making me a little bias but, I find Mr. Horton very annoying, I always do the routines with prompts only. After 2 weeks of him talking I wanted to throw a dumbbell through the TV :tongue:
  • sparklepants
    sparklepants Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oooh interesting, thanks!!

SHBoss, nice report!! It leads me on to my next thread....
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    From a workout perspective. It's a great routine to introduce you to the harder style workout that many people prefer.

Is it the best routine, or highest intensity? No, probably somewhere middle of the pack.

I'm just curious what the 'pack' consists of and which ones would be towards the top of the pack for similar products?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Is it the best routine, or highest intensity? No, probably somewhere middle of the pack.

I'm just curious what the 'pack' consists of and which ones would be towards the top of the pack for similar products?

ahh, it's kind of a combo dvd routine of weight training, plyometrics, and cardio (with flexibility in this one), there are lots of dvd's out there that do similar things, and while this one is better than probably about 2/3's, I wouldn't call it far and away better than any other. It has it's strengths (as I listed above) and it's weaknesses.
  • mworld
    Options
    [

ahh, it's kind of a combo dvd routine of weight training, plyometrics, and cardio (with flexibility in this one), there are lots of dvd's out there that do similar things, and while this one is better than probably about 2/3's, I wouldn't call it far and away better than any other. It has it's strengths (as I listed above) and it's weaknesses.

O I don't doubt it, but you seem to know of better products, like one of the ones that would be in the 1/3 above this one or graded more like an 'A' rather than a low 'B'. I'm nearly done with p90x and would love to know of one or two of these other ones you keep referencing are so I can check them out.

Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    [

O I don't doubt it, but you seem to know of better products, like one of the ones that would be in the 1/3 above this one or graded more like an 'A' rather than a low 'B'. I'm nearly done with p90x and would love to know of one or two of these other ones you keep referencing are so I can check them out.

Thanks!

Personally, I've never found a A (in my mind) DVD, I haven't tried Insanity yet though. I hear that one is great. But REALLY high intensity. You gotta remember my perspective though, I used to do 10 months a year of rugby, which means essentially a 2 - 3 hour HIIT training routine 5 to 6 days a week. So there's very few routines that will knock my socks off.

On the other hand, most good trainers will be able to do what most DVD's can't. Essentially any good college football, hockey, or soccer conditioning coach can do the same thing.
  • mworld
    Options
    well, looks like i am doing something right. I threw out the recovery week in p90x and do HIIT during that week and feel its a big improvement to it. Maybe i just need to modify more of the program to get it to 'A' standard :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    well, looks like i am doing something right. I threw out the recovery week in p90x and do HIIT during that week and feel its a big improvement to it. Maybe i just need to modify more of the program to get it to 'A' standard :)

that's the thing, you could easilly turn p90X into a really nasty routine by adding a few HIIT things into it, or swapping out 2 or 3 of the set types. I notice that Tony adds a couple of "gimmie" sets into his workouts (looks like it's on purpose, so he doesn't completely turn off his less experienced users), but you could swap a few of those out with some harder stuff and it would be better.

I'm not a fan of their nutrition section though, I think they should really revise that. There's no scientific evidence that 40% protein does anything for your body that 25% won't do, none what so ever. And I've checked everywhere I can think of to find it.

P.S. if anyone DOES have any proof, please, show me, cuz I don't pretend to know all the places to look. I may well have just not been looking in the right spots.
  • ericac
    ericac Posts: 2,679
    Options
    So it's a DVD work-out?

If so, I am not sure then.. as I pay a heck of a lot for my gym membership and don't want to waste it by just doing my exercise at home.

It sounds great though, maybe it is something to try later on in the year for me.. xxx

I take a lot of the workouts to my gym!....You can print out the moves......Personally I love it!
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    I know nothing about it... I just love your name!!! SPARKLEPANTS!!! that is awesome!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    SHBoss, quick question? Why did you give the nutrition a bad rating? I is just the high protein, or other factors like heavily relying on their own (very expensive) supplementation?

I can't honestly give any sort of real review of the program or nutrition, because I dropped it after a week, (It's just too much for me right now with tae kwon do, wing chun, parkour, and exams lol) but I do want to come back to it. I followed their the macro ratios for phase one of the plan however, nutritionally, to a tee, and given my exercise hadn't really changed, I'd like to think it did something incredible for my body fat levels. I switched from a 1200cal 50/30/20 carb, fat protein diet, to the low carb high protein diet they recommended, and I honestly could feel the weight and inches just melting off.

.. Maybe it was just the lower carb intake, but it worked wonders for me =)